C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Frustrating Shifter Linkage issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:07 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Tempus_Fugit
I disagree, Hurst is the way to go. There is a reason every old Corvette got a Hurst shifter.
Every one of them? Of the 16 that I've owned, only one had a Hurst shifter.

Jim
Old 08-24-2011, 07:42 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I disagree, Hurst is the way to go. There is a reason every old Corvette got a Hurst shifter.
I remember one '64 Corvette that had a Hurst shifter in it.

Within days after I bought it, the Hurst came out and the stock shifter went back in it's place. Nothing wrong with the Hurst shifter that was in there, It just shifted like a Hurst should. I like the feel of the OEM shifter much better.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 PM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen in my '67 a couple of months ago...could not get it out of second gear...replaced the shifter with another used one and fixed the problem.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Pillman7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar problem a few months ago . My Muncie shifter had gotten very hard to shift and would not want to shift into gear. I pulled the console out. took off the rubber boot and sprayed the shifter gates with a liberal coating of white lithium grease and after about 10 minutes it began to loosen up and now shifts like new. I would try this before I bought a new shifter. If you are having trouble just shifting into reverse, you may want to check the reverse lockout gate as they are very thin on the ends and if one of the ends break off it will not line up.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Pillman7
I had a similar problem a few months ago . My Muncie shifter had gotten very hard to shift and would not want to shift into gear. I pulled the console out. took off the rubber boot and sprayed the shifter gates with a liberal coating of white lithium grease and after about 10 minutes it began to loosen up and now shifts like new. I would try this before I bought a new shifter. If you are having trouble just shifting into reverse, you may want to check the reverse lockout gate as they are very thin on the ends and if one of the ends break off it will not line up.
Nah, it's easier to just write a check and replace a perfectly good, dirty/worn, misadjusted OEM shifter with a new Hurst and then think you've finally conquered the world.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Tempus_Fugit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
Every one of them? Of the 16 that I've owned, only one had a Hurst shifter.

Jim
OK, perhaps I am prone to exageration.

Many of them received this mod.

1snake, did you buy all those cars new? I had a friend who restored old Corvettes and he had a pile of Hursts in his basement that were replaced with repros as part of the restoration process.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:29 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

1snake, did you buy all those cars new? I had a friend who restored old Corvettes and he had a pile of Hursts in his basement that were replaced with repros as part of the restoration process.
Nope, I only bought 2 new ones. The rest were either nice drivers or restoration projects. I've had several non-Corvettes with Hurst shifters - 70 LS6 Chevelle, 66 L79 Nova etc. I like Hurst shifters but I find nothing wrong with the Muncie shifter either. Now C-1 shifters, they SUK. Even when new they felt like a stick in a bucket of oatmeal. (and yes, my 60 has the original shifter in it).

Jim
Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 AM
OzVetteJohn
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Al,

I had this in my 65 plus a buzzing.
I first got the minor shifter repair kit from Corvette central which replaced the selectors which the bottom of the shifter engages with.- no use but cheap.

Then i bought a complete replacement from the shifter **** right through to the selector arms on the Muncie. Turned out the biggest culprit was the arms were worn where they bolt to the gearbox (this causes the locking).

with new shifter, selector mechaism, selector rods and arm it as new and no lock ups and have no complaints re shifting. This was a very cheap exercise. You also get to readjust the rod settings - not rocket sciense - so you know you are starting at neutral with no stress on the rods.

I still have a little(greatly reduced ) buzz at high speed and I see that fro 66 on they mounted the shifter mechanism on the crossmember rather than the tailshaft so GM relaised they had an issue and fixed it.

Again a $30 part which I bought and next time I pull the box Ill bolt on.

I would have gone Hurst but thought i would invest a small amount to see what the GM shift experience was like as new and dont have any complaints.

John
Old 09-07-2011, 11:09 AM
abe g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an original 63 swc with T-10 4 speed. (early , November 62 date) Is there a good article (such as the Muncie overhaul)? for the T-10 original shifter? Would appreciate such. Regards, Abe G

Quick Reply: Frustrating Shifter Linkage issue