C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Frustrating Shifter Linkage issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Frustrating Shifter Linkage issue

I've got a sporadic shifter issue on my '66. Occasionally it locks up so I can not shift gears. When it does this, the shifter feels like it is going into reverse but the car is actually still in a forward gear. I manually have to move the shift rod (usually the middle one) to get it to engage. When I'm trying to shift when this is happening, it almost looks like the shifter itself is locked up. This is extremely frustrating as I've had to drive for the last two weeks with the shifter boot removed so I can get at the rods. This happens only occasionally and only after I have stopped, shut the car down, and then go to restart it and go.

Does this sound like a linkage adjustment or shifter issue?

Any advice would be appreciated as I'd really like to put the shifter boot and console cover back on properly.

Thanks in advance

Al T.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:29 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I don't know what it is but I do know a cure. Buy a Hurst. If you want it to look original, buy the handle from CA or one of the other corvette parts dealers. You can use the original shift rods from the Muncie, except the reverse unit. Also, if you do this, buy the steel bushings for the shift rods. Don't use the fiber ones. JMO
Old 08-18-2009, 04:46 PM
muncieman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
I don't know what it is but I do know a cure. Buy a Hurst. If you want it to look original, buy the handle from CA or one of the other corvette parts dealers. You can use the original shift rods from the Muncie, except the reverse unit. Also, if you do this, buy the steel bushings for the shift rods. Don't use the fiber ones. JMO

There is nothing in the trans that will keep it in a gear, that is a function of the shifter. The muncie shifter was just OK when it was new, add 40 odd years and it is good for use as a wheel chock.

Hurst with the stock looking handle
Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

If you can jack up the car and get underneath it would be easy enough to check the linkage adjustment per the service manual. If it's aligned, then your shifter is probably worn. Now with that being said with the other posters that the Hurst is the way to go. Corvette Central sells a very nice kit (CC p/n 532042) that includes new Hurst shifter, look alike handle, and all new linkage. I installed this in my car and it was a night and day improvement over the original sloppy shifter and looks completely stock. I'd never go back to the old set up after this. This is one of the best upgrades for driveability you can make. Pilot Dan

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 08-19-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Volunteer Vette sells an excellent rebuild kit for the stock Muncie shifter - I wrote a photo-illustrated technical article on that rebuild in the January '08 issue of "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine. A correctly assembled and lubricated stock shifter works very nicely; if you're going to be banging gears 1/4-mile at a time, a Hurst Competition-Plus shifter is a better choice.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Volunteer Vette sells an excellent rebuild kit for the stock Muncie shifter - I wrote a photo-illustrated technical article on that rebuild in the January '08 issue of "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine. A correctly assembled and lubricated stock shifter works very nicely; if you're going to be banging gears 1/4-mile at a time, a Hurst Competition-Plus shifter is a better choice.
John,

Would you happen to have a scanned copy of the article? I'd just as soon keep the stock shifter.

Thanks in advance.

Al T.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:59 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Its just a little loose. Common problem. You can take it out and repair it without much problem. In the mean time, make positive shifts. Don't get lazy and slide it out of reverse before you get to the gate.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Well,

I received the rebuild kit from Volunteer Vette this week (I hate UPS, brokerage was 60% of the kit price, how they get away....... that's another topic for another time) and was wondering if there's any "tricks to removing the shifter for the rebuild?

Thanks in advance.

Al T.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:15 PM
hiperf454
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure on the rebuild kit because I sold my 64 several years ago. But I took some bronze shims that were impregnated with something. My friend got it for me from his work in the aircraft industry and I put them in and tightened the shifter and it worked great. Now I think I ordered that rod for the reverse and It rattled so bad i kept a towl in the car to cover it up from the noise. I would like to see what all your rebuild kit has in it. If you could post some pics.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:41 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette

Don't get lazy and slide it out of reverse before you get to the gate.

When you pull it out of reverse, you can reef the shifter back and forth sideways and shake the linkage in the neutral gate.

Also agree in the shifter is cleaned/lubed/tight, you can't beat it for a street shifter.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:54 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
That's what I did with my Muncie shifter and I used John's Corvette Enthusiast article (you should be able to find it online) for some much needed guidance. Works as good as new now, I love the OEM "clunk-clunk" Muncie shifter !

Ray
Old 08-22-2011, 01:54 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you enjoy crawling under your car at the side of
the road and in parking lots, just rebuild it.

I used 2 GM kits to rebuilt 2 factory shifters, to no
avail, and then bought an old Hurst, which not only
has been flawless for the last 15 years, but also
doesn't rattle like the factory shifter.

Then again, there's nothing like getting dressed up
to take your wife somewhere special, only to have
her stand around and watch while you dig out the
jack and find something to use for a jackstand, so
you can ruin your clothes and burn your skin on a
hot exhaust pipe.

Last edited by magicv8; 08-22-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:07 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Al T
John,

Would you happen to have a scanned copy of the article? I'd just as soon keep the stock shifter.

Thanks in advance.

Al T.
You can find the article here

http://www.mwauto.com/pdf/18_CE_final.pdf
Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 157 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Shifter

This one works great but the muncie works fine to if you get it adjusted corectly don,t blame the shifter.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I hope the original poster from 2 years ago wasn't waiting this long for info.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:24 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

I had this issue as well (for many years) - until this year when I replaced the 44 year old shifter with the new unit sold by Volunteer Vettes. No more binding and it shifts like a hurst, flawessly in the short throw linkage holes.

Go for the new one and never have to get under your car again.

http://www.volvette.com/SH005.html

They are a pleasure to deal wth as well.

Go for it!!

PS - The hurst does not have the reverse lock out like the Muncie Shifter does.

Last edited by babbah; 08-23-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:35 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Hurst shifters are great but a Muncie shifter in good shape with the rods in the short throw position will shift just as fast and sure.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Frustrating Shifter Linkage issue

Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1snake
Hurst shifters are great but a Muncie shifter in good shape with the rods in the short throw position will shift just as fast and sure.

Jim
Old 08-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Tempus_Fugit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by babbah
I disagree, Hurst is the way to go. There is a reason every old Corvette got a Hurst shifter.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tempus_Fugit
I disagree, Hurst is the way to go. There is a reason every old Corvette got a Hurst shifter.
"Every old Corvette" got one?

Quick Reply: Frustrating Shifter Linkage issue