C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Advise to a potential new buyer of C1

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:58 PM
asjmplisson
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise to a potential new buyer of C1

I'm on the market to buy a C1.
I have been looking around and find many of them, with a large range of price for conditions from around 20 KUSD to well above 100 KUSD ...

aside of the condition of the body, engine and inside .... is their a reason between models for such variance in price ?

How can I know the market price of the car I may find ?

I take any advise you could give to a new comer in the Corvette world ....

Thanks for your help
Old 07-18-2010, 12:02 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome.

The value of the cars can vary widly depending on many things. Just a few:
  • Condition of the car (untouched original, perfectly restored, something in between)
  • Options. More desireable options such as fuel injection bring more money than cars with the base engine option
  • Documentation. Documentation that proves the pedigree or correctness of the car is a big value adder.
  • Judging Sheets. If the car was recently a Bloomington Gold, or NCRS Top Flight car, that adds value over a car that has not been showed or reviewed by judging organizations.

If you find a car you are interested in, your best option is to find someone who knows these cars and offer to pay them to do an inspection for you. Second best option is to post photos and details of the car on this forum so people can help you assess the overall condition and a possible value.

Additionally, there are several interesting threads in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...aq-thread.html

Jeff
Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Welcome to the club !
Here is some general information that might be somewhat accurate in regards to the differences between the various years of C1..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C1
By looking at ads in Hemmings you will begin to see some of the differences in price of various years of C1.
Good luck !
Old 07-18-2010, 12:23 AM
asjmplisson
Heel & Toe

Thanks a lot ... very helpful ... I already like this forum !:-)
Old 07-18-2010, 02:56 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Are you in the US?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Looking back on my '61 vette purchase I was really naive. Knowing nothing about 'plastic' cars or Corvettes at all (never owned one - I was a Mustang fan), I set off on an 18 month search. Hadn't read any books, didn't know about this forum and had no vette 'buddies' to lean on. I DID pay for one inspection of a '61 in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (I didn't buy the car) and that showed me just how much I didn't know so I studied some more and 5 months later bought my very solid, very original '61. Even so, I have learned a lot more since then that I should have known prior to purchasing such a car. I was lucky more than anything.

Take your time, don't jump on the first deal, read all you can and find some knowledgeable expertise to back you up on the purchase.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

My advice is bring money, have patience, be prepared to spend alot more money. Nice to look at, nothing great to drive or ride quality.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:23 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
My advice is bring money, have patience, be prepared to spend alot more money. Nice to look at, nothing great to drive or ride quality.
Yeah, the ride quality is not so hot. Depends what you are comparing to. i.e. modern car ? yeah.

But, not "great" to drive,,,, ? Some here would say it is the 2nd best thing you can do on a weekend. (unfortunately for some of the geriatrics here it has become the 1st best thng)

For most of us here, our old vette gives us more pleasure than any single material thing should.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 AM
asjmplisson
Heel & Toe

Yes I'm in the US : Westchester NY
Old 07-19-2010, 01:37 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by asjmplisson
Yes I'm in the US : Westchester NY
Sent you a PM
Old 07-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Welcome!
I'm in Southern CT maybe 45 minutes away. Always glad to help if you have any questions.
I own my C1 for about 4-5 weeks now and also knew nothing about them until I started my search. My story I think is typical. The first one I saw was a black 62. I hesitated because I knew so little and lost it. "I would never see a deal like that again!".
Then there was one in Florida that I had a nice Corvette Club member check out for me. Again, the deal of the century that I hesitated on not only because of my "newbieness" but also because I didn't lay eyes on it. I was arranging to fly down when it sold. I was sick about it. There are a few more that came and went. In fact, the first time I saw the car I bought I didn't really care for it until I visited it a few times.
I followed Craigslist, Ebay, Hemmings, the several Corvette ad sites that you are getting to know, and followed Proteam and Mershon's.
My advice is drive a couple and follow this forum and ask anything that comes to mind because everyone here is very generous with their knowledge which is instrumental in making the right choice.
Also, don't buy right away. The car I started looking for ended up not being exactly what I wanted after I became familiar with them.
Finally, there's never a deal that can't be repeated. If you lose a car don't lose sleep over it. There's always another car out there somewhere. It's a buyer's market right now. I'm glad that I lost those first few because I would never have ended up with the one I have!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:06 AM
Red Line
Intermediate

C1's are very nice and what I prefer. Good luck
Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Sorry I've never seen the short form.....KUSD, I too thought it was Kroners or some foreign currency. I'm guessing K, as in kilo for thousand, and USD for U.S. dollars? If I'm right, you won't get much of a functioning old vette for 20 of these. Welcome and good luck.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:21 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome and I too love the C1. I've been around one all my life.

Get notified of new replies

To Advise to a potential new buyer of C1

Quick Reply: Advise to a potential new buyer of C1