C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

LS1 in a 59'

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 03:06 AM
AK 59'
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in a 59'

Hello all,

new to the forums here and i guess ill start off by saying we have a 1959 corvette and have owned it for 32 years now. we are finally getting around to restoring it and we have now come into a new LS1 motor we were hoping to throw into the car. What im wondering is, has anyone done this or does anyone know someone who has done this, and is there any chopping and cutting involved on the sub-frame to get this motor in the car or is it just a simple drop and bolt (fingers crossed). I already know about all the electronics and everything involved in that department. any help with this would be great
Old 09-03-2009, 12:23 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Default not a bolt in deal

First whats your Budget? You will shred 100's at a furious rate!

basically every thing is different.

weld in motor mounts to enable side mounts.

they are fuel injected, pumps, tanks return lines, computers

transmission? auto manual big changes

I wouldnt even consider it unless my car unless was really far gone from the original type engine set up.

If you need more power, check out the latest aluminum heads and cams.

Last edited by John S 1961; 09-04-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:39 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,769 Likes on 1,671 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I hate to be a contributor of bad news, but I must concur with John's comments.
The LS series are just "different animals". Good engines? Absolutely! But not really condusive to a drop-in or semi drop-in fit in a 55-62 Corvette-------------or any other early Chevy that used the traditional SB V8 series (up through 96 engines).
BUUUUUUUUUT, can you put the LS1 in your 59 anyway? SURE! It will take some time, $$$, a little engineering, some fabrication, etc, etc.
You can't use the typical 55-62 front mount, which is (or WOULD BE) an EXCELLENT mount design if it wasn't for the fact that it's sandwiched between the block and pump!!!!!!!! On my 56, I reduced (but didn't completely eliminate) this drawback of the crossover mount by replacing the 4 bolts with stainless studs/nuts and I periodically re-tighten the nuts. Of all the weak points of the 55-62 engine installation, and it's really the only weak point, the front mount is by far the worst.
So, for the reasons I've mentioned above, my vote would be to acquire, or build, a healthy earlier SB. At the least, a 383 with good heads and a roller cam, and at the max, a very healty version of the SB400.
Big cubes results in copius amounts of torque, especially at low rpm's. Also, it allows having a rather high geared rear, such as a 3.08. Turning a 3.08 gear from a dead stop is zero effort for a healthy 383-427SB.

Tom Parsons
Old 09-03-2009, 02:40 PM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure... It drops right in... You just have to replace the frame first...

Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 PM
AK 59'
8th Gear

Thank you John, Tom, and kwkenuf,

We will see what happens with this motor as we have already purchased it. If we had known about what you guys have told me instead of relying on the dealers "expertise" in knowing if an engine would drop right into a certain car, then we may not have bought the darn thing. And unfortunately for us when gm sells a performance motor to a dealer, they dont take it back, and it doesnt look like the dealer will refund me either.

jason meisler
Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

if you have to do much restoration on the frame or suspension anyway, then i'd seriously consider just getting the aftermarket frame like kwkenuf suggested. talk to mike colleta on this forum (userid 61retro) - he's a great resource for doing this in a C1..

see his post on the bottom of page 1 in this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...oomington.html

lucky for you, you have a looooooooooong winter to work on it
Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 PM
AK 59'
8th Gear

Thanks Mikey,

That would definately be the way to go, unfortunately the frame and suspension are all done. Haha, the cars even painted ......
All we got left to do is put a powerplant in there. Oh well, a day late and a dollar short.

jason meisler
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

bummer.. i don't know that much about C1 frames.. my C2 didn't require any frame mods to put the LS engine into it.. just adapter plates for the engine mounts... i'm surprised this doesn't seem to be an option for C1's..

seems best explained by John McGraw in this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-for-a-c1.html

Last edited by mikey; 09-03-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: added link
Old 09-03-2009, 10:33 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,769 Likes on 1,671 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mikey
bummer.. i don't know that much about C1 frames.. my C2 didn't require any frame mods to put the LS engine into it.. just adapter plates for the engine mounts... i'm surprised this doesn't seem to be an option for C1's..

seems best explained by John McGraw in this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-for-a-c1.html
The 63-later cars were MADE for/with side engine mounts. Thus, making an adapter to go between the frame of a 63-later chassis and an LS engine wouldn't be that big of a deal. But since the 62-older cars had ZERO provision for side mounts, then adapting a pre-96 engine for side mounts is one thing, and adapting a 62-older chassis for an LS engine requires even more adaptation. Not that it can't be done, and DO NOT misunderstand me, I am NOT discouraging someone from doing such a conversion---------------I'm only pointing out what challenges will have to be overcome during the process.
I always hate it when someone says "I wish I'd known about this or that before I started"!

Tom Parsons
Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 PM
AK 59'
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I always hate it when someone says "I wish I'd known about this or that before I started"!
I only say that because of the money issue. Im not saying that we arent going to take that path, because we very well may.

jason meisler
Old 09-04-2009, 09:39 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Jason,

The biggest obstacle to putting the LS engine in a stock 59, is the front suspension and steering. Welding side mounts to the chassis is not that hard, but it makes the original steering setup impossible. You will pretty much be locked into a rack and pinion steering box and a replacement front suspension at the least. The original X frame will make the installation harder, but not impossible. The tunnel is big enough for most modern transmissions, and I have a 4L65E in mine. When all is said and done, a replacement aftermarket chassis like SRIII or Corvette Correction, is probably the best way to go. The LS engine is an easy swap for any car equipped with standard GM side mounts, but it can be a real pain on early Corvettes.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 09-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

put the LS1 up for sale on e-bay or similar.
someone will be happy to save a few hundred on it,
and u will have the 59 on the road in a month instead of a year or 2.
everybody ends up with parts they have to re-sell, that's why swap meets are so popular
Old 09-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
everybody ends up with parts they have to re-sell, that's why swap meets are so popular
I agree..

You can get a good crate smallblock from the General that will bolt right in, and still have a real nice car.

Some have great sounding cams, aluminum heads and very respectable horsepower/torque. ZZ4, ZZ383 are both popular engines.

Even if you take a loss on your current engine...it will likely not be a huge one, and will certainly pale compared to the expense to modify the suspension, steering and other issues needed with the LS1.

If you haven't thought of it..it is not uncommon for the sepentine pulley systems needed for these engines to run $2,500, and $1,000 for a gas tank with in tank pump with a sump and baffels.

You said you were familar with the electronics issues...transmission too I assume. Costly if not considered..

Stan..
Old 09-24-2009, 10:33 PM
aupaul
Racer

Help if you can? I just bought a c1 frame with Fat Man mod on it. It will take modern front componets. Plus it was fitted for side mounts. What will I need to to put in an LS?? Sorry this just happened very quick and I have not been pre planing... I do plan to slow down and plan from here out..
Old 09-25-2009, 02:16 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
Dont listent this kind talk !!

Go with the LS1 . Its the best V8 ever made. I have been playing the idea of front mounting LSx. I dont think its imposbile to sandwich plate between block and waterpump. Try it ! And yes with orginal frame Since its all aluminium you will get lighter steering too

Last edited by bowtie racing; 09-25-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:44 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
If you haven't thought of it..it is not uncommon for the sepentine pulley systems needed for these engines to run $2,500, and $1,000 for a gas tank with in tank pump with a sump and baffels.

Stan..

C´mon guys.. You can do better..

Brand new GM Accessorys way under 1000 bucks..

For 567$ you get new :

Alternator
Alternator bracket
Belt tensioner
Belt
Power steering pump
Power steering brackets
Power steering resivoir
Mounting hardware
Alternator pigtail

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=248707

And since you dont even need the powersteering pump you can get it even more cheaper !!!

If your fuel tank is in good condition just add EFI fuel pump and filter in line - again you save!! If want you can get good replacement tank with pump here

http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautopart..._tanks_all.pdf

Drop in LSx radiator :

http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product...asp?ProdID=426

And some usefull information

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...84-P467C0.aspx

If you need more info , PM me

Last edited by bowtie racing; 09-25-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by AK 59'
Thanks Mikey,

That would definately be the way to go, unfortunately the frame and suspension are all done. Haha, the cars even painted ......
All we got left to do is put a powerplant in there. Oh well, a day late and a dollar short.

jason meisler
Here's another option, will run you about $4,500 for the entire package:

http://jimmeyerracing.com/cv2.html

http://jimmeyerracing.com/cv4.html

Then you can use the side mounts, and sell your stock suspension on ebay.

Get notified of new replies

To LS1 in a 59'

Old 09-25-2009, 06:47 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by bowtie racing

And since you dont even need the powersteering pump you can get it even more cheaper !!!

that just might work, if the alternator isn't mounted too low.... i thought it might be a bit wide, but by looking at my Gen 1 layout it looks the same or better...

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 09-25-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:47 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie racing

For 567$ you get new :

Alternator
Alternator bracket
Belt tensioner
Belt
Power steering pump
Power steering brackets
Power steering resivoir
Mounting hardware
Alternator pigtail

If your fuel tank is in good condition just add EFI fuel pump and filter in line - again you save!! If want you can get good replacement tank with pump here

http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautopart..._tanks_all.pdf

Drop in LSx radiator :

http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product...asp?ProdID=426

And some usefull information

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...84-P467C0.aspx

If you need more info , PM me
...you're right Bowtie, Regarding the serpentine systems, anything can be done cheaper. I said it is "not uncommon" to spend etc. etc. Depends on the caliber of project you want. If he's thinking dress up with a little bling on this allready expensive project...well? Now if he's building a daily driver ..those things wouldn't matter...

The advantages to aluminum tanks with built in sumps/baffels can be researched. They cost a grand, anything less is just what it is.

Stan..

By the way ...the GMP accessorie drive set up is what I'm using on my '61 restomod/Corvette Correction chassis. It's just going on a new ZZ4 in front of a built 2004R....and yep it's a driver.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 09-25-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:53 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
Here's another option, will run you about $4,500 for the entire package:

http://jimmeyerracing.com/cv2.html

http://jimmeyerracing.com/cv4.html

Then you can use the side mounts, and sell your stock suspension on ebay.
with about $2700 and a LOT more 'sweat equity'. you can do a TCI IFS...

Bill

Quick Reply: LS1 in a 59'