C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Black 1954 Corvette ~ Photos

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Steve~74
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Black 1954 Corvette ~ Photos

Disclaimer...I am not a C1 or C2 guy. I have a 74 so my knowledge of these is zilch.

Next, I was in Hershey, PA this weekend and stopped at the Antique Auto Club of America Museum, (AACA). http://www.aacamuseum.org/?gclid=CIv...FeEN5QodXCP68Q

I asked the guy at the desk if they had any Corvettes and he tells me about a black 54 and that it is a very rare color. So I say how rare and he

says about 5 or 6 made in black in 54. I dont know how true a statement that is so I am asking you guys. How many of these black 54 were made and has anyone else seen one?

Here are some photos I took. Thanx.

Steve

Old 09-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice picture.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:51 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by scris

I asked the guy at the desk if they had any Corvettes and he tells me about a black 54 and that it is a very rare color. So I say how rare and he

says about 5 or 6 made in black in 54. I dont know how true a statement that is so I am asking you guys. How many of these black 54 were made and has anyone else seen one?
That sounds about right - 5 or 6.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:12 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by scris
Disclaimer...I am not a C1 or C2 guy. I have a 74 so my knowledge of these is zilch.

Next, I was in Hershey, PA this weekend and stopped at the Antique Auto Club of America Museum, (AACA). http://www.aacamuseum.org/?gclid=CIv...FeEN5QodXCP68Q

Here are some photos I took. Thanx.

Steve

There were only 4 black corvettes produced in '54 out of a total of 3,640 corvettes... now that is very rare.

Thanks for the pictures
Old 09-27-2009, 10:13 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

White, red, blue and black were the colors for 54. But there doesn't seem to be rock solid information about how many of each color were produced.
Also, as I'm going through my NEW 56-57 NCRS judging guide, I saw something for the first time that I have NEVER heard of in my life.
MOST of you who know the 56-57 models, know that the ONLY colors for the coves were beige or silver. Nothing else. WELL, the new judging guide states that there was a "limited" number of Artic blue 57s that had a red cove and red interior. It has ALWAYS been my understanding that Artic blue 56-7s ONLY came with a beige interior. But apparently, there has been sufficient information to acknowledge this color combination as a legitimate 57 combination. Personally, this is the first I have ever heard of a blue 57 with red coves. Actually, it's the first time I've EVER heard of a 56-61 with FACTORY red coves (aside from a solid color that is).

A friend of mine in Tulsa has a black 57, and he had the coves painted red----------------not factory correct, but LOOKS GREAT!

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 09-27-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
That sounds about right - 5 or 6.
Yep, correct, 4 or 6 and all 20 of 'em have been documented as originals.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't there a book that was put out recently that might have that information?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:09 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
White, red, blue and black were the colors for 54. But there doesn't seem to be rock solid information about how many of each color were produced.
Also, as I'm going through my NEW 56-57 NCRS judging guide, I saw something for the first time that I have NEVER heard of in my life.
MOST of you who know the 56-57 models, know that the ONLY colors for the coves were beige or silver. Nothing else. WELL, the new judging guide states that there was a "limited" number of Artic blue 57s that had a red cove and red interior. It has ALWAYS been my understanding that Artic blue 56-7s ONLY came with a beige interior. But apparently, there has been sufficient information to acknowledge this color combination as a legitimate 57 combination. Personally, this is the first I have ever heard of a blue 57 with red coves. Actually, it's the first time I've EVER heard of a 56-61 with FACTORY red coves (aside from a solid color that is).

A friend of mine in Tulsa has a black 57, and he had the coves painted red----------------not factory correct, but LOOKS GREAT!

Tom Parsons
Tom

I knew a person that had a '57 Artic Blue with the Red coves... it was sharp. Yes... it was original!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Noland's Restoration & Technical Guide has the most definitive source I have seen, GM. When it comes to this kind of information though, only someone who was there would actually know for sure, IMO. The rest of us can only theorize from surveys and the such.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
Noland's Restoration & Technical Guide has the most definitive source I have seen, GM. When it comes to this kind of information though, only someone who was there would actually know for sure, IMO. The rest of us can only theorize from surveys and the such.
I hear from people that is a great resource, but I believe there was a different book that had come out more recently than that one, I could be wrong, you know how the internet is about information, some of it may not be correct.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Tom Parsons
Tom, I've never seen a factory red cove either but I have seen original Arctic Blue with red interior though. I believe Bloomington, 92. I may have a pic. Many old pics on shoe boxes from way back.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Steve~74
Drifting

Thanx for all that info, I knew I would gain further insight on this car.

If you ever get the chance to go to that museum in Hershey, PA, GO.....some really nice cars there.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice 54... Love the black & red 57 as well....
Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Well, when it comes to documentation, there is all kinds of it out there. For example, I can document that the 7011956 FI unit that is on my 56 has been there for many years. But just exactly how do I know that is true? Because I'm the one that put it on, thus, I can document it! Makes sense to me!
Plus, it is relatively well known that Chevrolet did in fact install FI on TWO 56 Vettes ---------------------it's just that no one seems to be able to come up with the VIN #s for those two cars. Therefore, how can anyone dispute that my 56 was not one of them???

Tom Parsons
Old 09-28-2009, 10:04 AM
muncieman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, when it comes to documentation, there is all kinds of it out there. For example, I can document that the 7011956 FI unit that is on my 56 has been there for many years. But just exactly how do I know that is true? Because I'm the one that put it on, thus, I can document it! Makes sense to me!
Plus, it is relatively well known that Chevrolet did in fact install FI on TWO 56 Vettes ---------------------it's just that no one seems to be able to come up with the VIN #s for those two cars. Therefore, how can anyone dispute that my 56 was not one of them???

Tom Parsons
Makes perfect sense to me Tom
Old 09-28-2009, 11:30 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Hey scris, being from Manahawkin, do you belong to the Beach Bums Club? They're a pretty good group and some of they're members are here on the Forum.

There is a collector in Bethlem, PA with 17 53-55 cars, including a black 54. I'm pretty sure that he has documented that his was originally one of the black ones.

I agree that the AACA museum is great. 2 or 3 years ago, Corvette was the featured display. There were some very beautiful Corvettes on display at the time. Besides the vehicles that they have on display permantly, they also have feature displays (certain marques such as Corvettes, or types of vehicles like motorcycles) that change every six months or so.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Steve~74
Drifting

Hey gb...

I am not a member of the Beach Bums club, but I do know a few of the members. I have met them at local shows and the show in LBI, they have a Corvette only show every June. This past June.there were about 200 Corvettes were there. I didnt enter my car, I got there late but I did attend later in the afternoon. I wont miss it next year thou.

I really enjoyed the AACA Museum, some real great looking cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Black 1954 Corvette ~ Photos

Old 09-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

It has ALWAYS been my understanding that Artic blue 56-7s ONLY came with a beige interior. But apparently, there has been sufficient information to acknowledge this color combination as a legitimate 57 combination.
Robert Cracower is a friend of mine here in Montreal, and he has a '56 that is solid Arctic Blue with a red interior. Not sure if it was born that way, but he's owned it since '63. The car has Duntoved, so the NCRS must be OK with it's color combo.
Here are a couple of pics that Riku, a Finish Corvette friend snapped of it at our annual NCRS Quebec cruise-in last month.

Paul

Old 09-28-2009, 12:15 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

The problem will always be for C1's the color combo or mechanic options because GM never kept records. Yes there is a little ! But over all none ! So a C1 can be restored to meet the owners taste and done right will pass NCRS.
Remember you could buy parts over the parts counter at a dealer of anything you wonted ,
We all know there are more FI Corvettes, BB C2's out there then GM made, 3 or 5 black 54's who cares , years from now you may see 50, the point is if it passes NCRS stander IT ORIGINAL end of story. The thing that pisses me off is that you NOW can get all the paper documentation to prove it, documenting it came that way. CAN YOU SAY REPRO.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:31 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
The problem will always be for C1's the color combo or mechanic options because GM never kept records. Yes there is a little ! But over all none ! So a C1 can be restored to meet the owners taste and done right will pass NCRS.
Remember you could buy parts over the parts counter at a dealer of anything you wonted ,
We all know there are more FI Corvettes, BB C2's out there then GM made, 3 or 5 black 54's who cares , years from now you may see 50, the point is if it passes NCRS stander IT ORIGINAL end of story. The thing that pisses me off is that you NOW can get all the paper documentation to prove it, documenting it came that way. CAN YOU SAY REPRO.
I hear you Roy.Hell some people will say that just because some old timer says that his car was originally copper color does not make it so either

Quick Reply: Black 1954 Corvette ~ Photos