C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Timing Chain Lubrication Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Timing Chain Lubrication Question

How does the timing chain get it's liubrication? I ask because some suggest drilling a small hole in each of the 2 oil gallery plugs in front of the chain for oiling purposes. I know Chevrolet sells these plugs that are pre-drilled as well for this purpose. Is this necessary? I'm running a gear drive in my BB instead of the chain and wonder how it gets lubricated and does it get enough oil/lube? Thanks!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would highly recomend some additional oiling for a big block, especially with a gear drive. I drill a single .030 hole in one of the oil galley plugs, that will give the gears some oil all the time. Otherwise, the only way you get oil up there is sloshing from the pan or the lifter valley, and a little from the front cam bearing. This is a pretty common problem and fix!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:29 PM
muncieman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by babbah
How does the timing chain get it's liubrication? I ask because some suggest drilling a small hole in each of the 2 oil gallery plugs in front of the chain for oiling purposes. I know Chevrolet sells these plugs that are pre-drilled as well for this purpose. Is this necessary? I'm running a gear drive in my BB instead of the chain and wonder how it gets lubricated and does it get enough oil/lube? Thanks!
GM is not the only source for the plugs, any decent machine shop should have them as well. I put one in each side of the lifter galley on all the rat motors I built. It also is a big help when you prime a new motor, rats take forever to oil and the plugs help by letting the air bleed out of the lifters.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing Chain Lubrication Question

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Lubrication Question