C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is Mershon's a gooddealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

CAVEAT EMPTOR !
Old 10-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vettefred
CAVEAT EMPTOR !
Well said!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:25 AM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

CAVEAT VENDITOR (let the seller beware)..... Statutory law, and consumer protections, have long since replaced "caveat emptor." It is now the seller who must beware.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:19 PM
GC2X4
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Say what ?

Originally Posted by vettefred
CAVEAT EMPTOR !
35 yrs. ago I took a course in real estate. The first thing the instructor said has stuck with me all these years. " Buyers are liars and sellers are liars"........................and yes I'm a salesman !!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:06 PM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 255 Likes on 74 Posts

The car stalled on ebay at $45K and change. It is relisted.

I have always wanted a C1. Have had a C5, C6 and 6 Vipers, XLR-V and the new CTS-V, but I have never had a classic car which scares me.

I have bought used cars for my kids and it is funny--I am a lawyer (defense, not personal injury), and in a nice way I have told dealers that if the car is not as advertised, I will pursue recovery. Most say , "fair enough and I have had no problem". A couple said "well, uh, uh" which led me to believe there were issues and it stopped there.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:59 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
When you checked the numbers on the motor before you purchased the car and you found out that it was incorrect, you bought it anyway?

And... if Mershon's bought it with the new paint, whose fault is this again?

Are you talking about Chevs N Vettes? (CNV) A lot less people like them than Mershon's, I'll tell you that.

And EBAY has absolutely no responsibility to govern ridiculous standards between buyers and sellers of cars any more than any other broker does. Thats for the participants to work out. No business would be conducted at all if that were the case.

I worked with Dan Mershon quite a bit at Bloomington Gold and found him to be a straight shooter. However, like everyone has said, treat them like any other seller-retailer or private. If you expect them to answer all your questions about correctness, condition, authenticity, etc and you are too lazy to verify it yourself, you will deserve the eventual disaster that comes your way.

Be responsible for your own purchase with knowledge and assistance. Dont blame a seller for your lack of preparation.

I have both bought and sold cars to Mershons.They have always treated me fairly.I only paid what I wanted for the car and I sold my cars for what I wanted for it.
They are a dealer in old Corvettes.They are not restorers.They do not do the paint,motor work etc.All that they know about the car is what they are told from the people that they bought the car from as well as what they see in a once over.They are not NCRS judges or experts on engine stamps as it seems that we have here on the forum.I have seen cars for sale by dealers that are advertised as matching numbers that after checking things over probably were not.But I have seen way more in the car corrals at major shows from private owners as well as their driveways.I cannot tell you how many times that I have been told by a seller that "the car has a no hit body" only to find every thing from a small repair to a replacement one piece nose.So all of the people that claim that a private owner is the only way to go better know what they are looking at.As others have said know what you are buying or get some one who does know what to look at for you.
As I said I had very good dealings with them.But I know what I am looking at so should any one who is looking to buy.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by provette67

I have both bought and sold cars to Mershons.They have always treated me fairly.I only paid what I wanted for the car and I sold my cars for what I wanted for it.
They are a dealer in old Corvettes.They are not restorers.They do not do the paint,motor work etc.All that they know about the car is what they are told from the people that they bought the car from as well as what they see in a once over.They are not NCRS judges or experts on engine stamps as it seems that we have here on the forum.I have seen cars for sale by dealers that are advertised as matching numbers that after checking things over probably were not.But I have seen way more in the car corrals at major shows from private owners as well as their driveways.I cannot tell you how many times that I have been told by a seller that "the car has a no hit body" only to find every thing from a small repair to a replacement one piece nose.So all of the people that claim that a private owner is the only way to go better know what they are looking at.As others have said know what you are buying or get some one who does know what to look at for you.
As I said I had very good dealings with them.But I know what I am looking at so should any one who is looking to buy.
Very well stated. I occasionally buy and sell midyears and classic Cadillacs as a hobby. I always want a prospective buyer to view the car personally or have it inspected by someone in the know. I disclose any flaws and imperfections as well as possible. All my Ebay listings have at least 50+ high resolution photos and I am always willing to answer questions and take more photos for serious interested parties. I would rather have someone be pleasantly surprised to find the car was better than I described than to have someone disappointed to find it worse.

As we all know, the concept of "personal responsibility" is tending toward obsolescence in American society today and along side that trend is an increased willingness to blame others for our personal mistakes. Furthermore, assessing condition of a 40 year old car is highly subejective and pernicious work. Together, these factors can lead to some serious trouble.

If you purchase a car sight unseen or without professional inspection, and find it not as described, you are the first person to blame. Many people would like to villify the seller and call foul. As a buyer, it is YOUR responsibility to satisfy your mind prior to completing a purchase.

I have been out to see countless cars for sale that were not what their owners claimed them to be. Guess what? I didn't buy any of them. And if I had, I would only have myself to blame.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:39 AM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

I will have to totally disagree with you. Mershon's has been selling classic Corvette's for 30 years. They brag that they have the best service department in the business, and every car they take in goes through that service department. They charge 3000 dollars for a full interior restorations. They charge 25-100 dollars to do appraisals. Explain to me how they can do an appraisal, if they aren't experts? Of course they are experts, they have been living and breathing classic corvettes for 30 years. They know exactly what they are doing, and they are certainly responsible for their advertising, both legally, and morally.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
I will have to totally disagree with you. Mershon's has been selling classic Corvette's for 30 years. They brag that they have the best service department in the business, and every car they take in goes through that service department. They charge 3000 dollars for a full interior restorations. They charge 25-100 dollars to do appraisals. Explain to me how they can do an appraisal, if they aren't experts? Of course they are experts, they have been living and breathing classic corvettes for 30 years. They know exactly what they are doing, and they are certainly responsible for their advertising, both legally, and morally.
I just looked at their website.I cannot find where they brag about their service dept..They mention them as a dealership has having one of the best reputations in the business.In fact the thing that I notice about their service list is to steam clean every thing.No mention any where of a restoration. The interior change price is $1K-$3K.Which if you go with new dash pads and leather seat covers is what the high end would cost you.In fact going to Al Knocks website The cost of carpet,heat+sound deadener,door panels,dash pads and leather seat covers are $3816.
They by these cars from auctions and private sellers like you.They do not restore the cars.I bet if they buy them at shows and I know at auctions they do not drive the car.Would you do that? They look them over for the most part on cosmetics.If they feel that they can make money on it they buy it.When they get it to the store they clean the car up and the mechanic looks it over for what he can see.He is no way looking to do a resto on the car.
Have you ever bought or sold a car to them?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

I just looked at their website.I cannot find where they brag about their service dept..They mention them as a dealership has having one of the best reputations in the business.In fact the thing that I notice about their service list is to steam clean every thing.No mention any where of a restoration. The interior change price is $1K-$3K.Which if you go with new dash pads and leather seat covers is what the high end would cost you.In fact going to Al Knocks website The cost of carpet,heat+sound deadener,door panels,dash pads and leather seat covers are $3816.
They by these cars from auctions and private sellers like you.They do not restore the cars.I bet if they buy them at shows and I know at auctions they do not drive the car.Would you do that? They look them over for the most part on cosmetics.If they feel that they can make money on it they buy it.When they get it to the store they clean the car up and the mechanic looks it over for what he can see.He is no way looking to do a resto on the car.
Have you ever bought or sold a car to them?
Better look again on their service page, first sentence at the top,"we have one of the best service departments in the business."Also, if you go to their customize section, you will see they will paint the car for 7500 dollars, and change the color of the interior for as much as 3000 dollars. I'm sure these prices are somewhat old, and need to be updated. Mershons may not drive a car at a auction, but you can bet they go over them with a fine tooth comb, just like Terry Michaelis does of Pro Team. Would you consider Pro Team experts on Corvette's? I guess by your reasoning, since nobody drives the cars at Barrett/Jackson, there are no experts there. You failed to answer my question, how can Mershon charge customers 100 dollars to appraise their car, if they are not experts on classic Corvette's? Obviously, if they aren't experts as you assert, they must be cheating those customers as well. I actually, do not have a problem with Mershon. I met somebody who bought 65 roadster from them,and they said Mershon's was very honest, and professional. My problem is lie's in the fact that a forum member, who apparently might be doing business with Mershons, asked the board for opinions of them. Matt Houston chimed in and said Mershon sold him a car that they advertised as "matching number," and it wasn't. Another forum member attacked Matt by calling him irresponsible, and lazy, and apparently you agree with him. Apparently, both of you think it's ok for companies to deceive and lie to their customers. You even tried to justify their actions by suggesting that even though they have been selling Corvette's for 30 years, Mershons doesn't know what they are doing, and know nothing about stamp pads. Absurd.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:46 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
Better look again on their service page, first sentence at the top,"we have one of the best service departments in the business."Also, if you go to their customize section, you will see they will paint the car for 7500 dollars, and change the color of the interior for as much as 3000 dollars. I'm sure these prices are somewhat old, and need to be updated. Mershons may not drive a car at a auction, but you can bet they go over them with a fine tooth comb, just like Terry Michaelis does of Pro Team. Would you consider Pro Team experts on Corvette's? I guess by your reasoning, since nobody drives the cars at Barrett/Jackson, there are no experts there. You failed to answer my question, how can Mershon charge customers 100 dollars to appraise their car, if they are not experts on classic Corvette's? Obviously, if they aren't experts as you assert, they must be cheating those customers as well. I actually, do not have a problem with Mershon. I met somebody who bought 65 roadster from them,and they said Mershon's was very honest, and professional. My problem is lie's in the fact that a forum member, who apparently might be doing business with Mershons, asked the board for opinions of them. Matt Houston chimed in and said Mershon sold him a car that they advertised as "matching number," and it wasn't. Another forum member attacked Matt by calling him irresponsible, and lazy, and apparently you agree with him. Apparently, both of you think it's ok for companies to deceive and lie to their customers. You even tried to justify their actions by suggesting that even though they have been selling Corvette's for 30 years, Mershons doesn't know what they are doing, and know nothing about stamp pads. Absurd.
...this is also stated on their web site as well, "We service, detail and test drive all of our hand picked Corvettes and Collector cars." Corvette dealers like Mershon's and ProTeam know their cars, they are not in the business just to go to auctions and private sellers buying these cars to pass along to another buyer just to make a little $. They may not be NCRS judges on corvettes, but to say they are not experts on engine stamp pads, you are only fooling yourself. These people are not Dummies when it come to the corvettes they buy and sell.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:31 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

If stingU2 and 65 vettedude statements are correct, and I have no reason to doubt them, then Mershons would have a hard time defending themselves that they were not knowledgeable about Corvettes. I am certain that have a knowledgeable employee inspect every car prior to their purchase to authenticate the car. They are in the business to make money (and to pay their employees), so they know what they are buying and what they can sell it for.
Back to a buyers responsibility, if he doesn't have it inspected prior to purchase, shame on him
Rick
Old 10-28-2009, 10:07 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ricks327
If stingU2 and 65 vettedude statements are correct, and I have no reason to doubt them, then Mershons would have a hard time defending themselves that they were not knowledgeable about Corvettes. I am certain that have a knowledgeable employee inspect every car prior to their purchase to authenticate the car. They are in the business to make money (and to pay their employees), so they know what they are buying and what they can sell it for.
Back to a buyers responsibility, if he doesn't have it inspected prior to purchase, shame on him
Rick
Old 10-28-2009, 10:17 PM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Getting back to the car, Mershons confirms it does not have the original engine but has a "period correct" engine, which probably explains why it is on their site for only $59k and stalled on ebay at $45K.

Still a nice looking car, and I have nothing bad to say about Mershons . I was just checking with what folks here knew about them.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:40 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vettedrummer
Getting back to the car, Mershons confirms it does not have the original engine but has a "period correct" engine, which probably explains why it is on their site for only $59k and stalled on ebay at $45K.

Still a nice looking car, and I have nothing bad to say about Mershons . I was just checking with what folks here knew about them.
Yes, that would definitely bring the price to where it currently is $59k. Still it is a very nice '57 Artic Blue, White coves, and that stunning Red interior... I have talk to them several times at auctions such as Bloomington Gold, they know their cars.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Midyrman
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Some thoughts:

I believe it is a fair statement that Dan Mershon, the owner, knows his classic corvettes ..... originality ..... correctness ..... mechanical ...... condition ..... repairs .....etc. He is an NCRS and/or BG judge is he not?

It is a fact that Mershons...Dan his staff... have many years of experience in buying and selling classic Corvettes.

Do they buy only cars that are essentially 100% correct and 100% problem free? Of course not. Not enough of those to go around.

Do they sell cars that are not 100% correct and not in perfect working order? I am sure they do even though they "service" their cars.

Do they reveal 100% of the incorrectness and imperfectness? Probably not. I don't think you can take 100% of the "Buyer Beware" sentiment out of a Sales Persons mentality.

Are they aware of 100% of the incorrectness and imperfectness? While we would like to think so, even the best miss things. Should they own up those mistakes? Probably so....especially if they want repeat business or to stay in business. Maybe even avoid a law suit or two.

My feeling is that when you buy from a dealer and pay dealer prices you should expect some level of expert advise on what you are buying. That in itself says to be cautious or do not buy from a dealer that you don't think can give expert advice. But getting expert advice does not mean that you are getting a "perfect" car but instead you have an understanding from the dealer of what you are buying and you can make an informed decision. At the sametime, being an expert yourself or bringing an expert is the best way to buy a classic Corvette. It costs money perhaps, but so does buying the wrong car. You can form your own opinions and if you choose check against the dealers opinion as a measure of credibility. By bringing your own expertise to the table, you can also find those diamonds in the rough that aren't being price hijacked into the stratosphere.

Much of the fun of buying a Corvette is in the search. Patience, knowledge, some due diligence and a few extra bucks to ensure that you bought what you think you bought is well worth it.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:10 PM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I am new to C1s--I love the looks of the 56-57s but when I see those steering wheels I wonder if I could even fit in the car. Are they as close as they look?

Get notified of new replies

To Is Mershon's a gooddealer?

Old 10-29-2009, 02:30 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

I am new to C1s--I love the looks of the 56-57s but when I see those steering wheels I wonder if I could even fit in the car. Are they as close as they look?
Yes, they are.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

You can buy a smaller diameter (16"?)steering wheel that has the correct look. They even have them in leather as well. Not sure of the company name but they have been in business for quite a while now. They are usually under the grandstand at Corvettes@Carlisle.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

A smaller steering wheel will make it a little tougher to guide the car with manual steering. A cheapie seat restoration (using generic springs) often raises the driver's seat bottom to the wrong height so there is less clearance there....if so that's fixable.

I bought my C1 off eBay but flew to So. Carolina and personally inspected it and did my homework...but I was still lucky as it was my first classic vette and it has turned out to be a creampuff (after substantial work) with no major problems.

I nearly bought a '65 off eBay and even put up a $2K deposit...then the seller came clean on a litany of problems with the car after the auction closed and he ended by saying, "...ya know you just can't expect to drive these old muscle cars around town on errands like a modern car". I demanded, and got, my deposit back.

I can drive my C1 anywhere I like, on any errand I like.

Having said that...my Dad and I ran a used car biz in the '60s in Va Beach and you just can't please everybody and still turn a profit. You need to look at the car, do your homework and if it has been mis-represented or you get bad vibes...take a hike. Sounds like the OP has a slight case of "C1 fever".

However, do not fall so much in love with a car you start mentally making excuses for its shortcomings, or poor (dishonest?) communications by the dealer. There will be other cars; especially in the price range you are looking at.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-29-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Mershon's a gooddealer?