C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help with a 58 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:19 PM
indycopper
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a 58 Corvette

I have come across a 1958 Corvette. I am not knowledgeable about Corvettes and would greatly appreicate some help. I would like to know if there is anything special about this particular one. I don't think the rims are original, but if anyone could tell me for sure I would appreciate it. Here's what I know about the car. It's a one owner. I have a picture of the original title in the album. The last registration I found was for 1965. I doubt it has been driven since. It spent most of the time since then in an unheated garage. The hard top was stolen. I'm afraid to take a look at the convertible top. The rear end was changed to a 4.10 because the bolts on the original kept backing out. Here's the link to the photo album:

http://s768.photobucket.com/albums/x...58%20Corvette/

I would appreciate any information.
Thank you.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:51 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Holy Cow, a fuel injected 58!

I see it has the correct hood, and the expensive hard-to-find trunk chrome. Car looks to have led a hard life but generally looks to be intact but for some incorrect seat covers.

Hub caps are "dog dish" so it's possible this could be a "big brake" car. Check for evidence of cooling vents/ducts behind the front brake backing plates.

I can't offer an opinion on the wheels, they don't look wrong to me, but I couldn't say for sure.

Front grille teeth and bar are missing as is the ignition shielding.

I can see the windshield washer bottle is even still in place on the passenger side fenderwell.

Car looks to have been pretty darned complete when it was parked.

So what is special about this car:
  1. Fuel injected
  2. possibly big brake car
  3. correct hood and trunk chrome
  4. largely intact

Last edited by 62Jeff; 10-25-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Tempus_Fugit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Major, major project. Usually people put 4:10's in to go fast, not fix a problem.

This would take considerable money to get even decent. Figure $4-5K just in chrome plating. Easily another $5-10K to get it roadworthy. Looks like it might have some rust issues too.

That being said, a very cool car, I want it.

Be careful not too much money for it. You'll definitely have more money into it than its worth no matter how far you take it. But isn't that what this hobby is all about?

Originally Posted by indycopper
I have come across a 1958 Corvette. I am not knowledgeable about Corvettes and would greatly appreicate some help. I would like to know if there is anything special about this particular one. I don't think the rims are original, but if anyone could tell me for sure I would appreciate it. Here's what I know about the car. It's a one owner. I have a picture of the original title in the album. The last registration I found was for 1965. I doubt it has been driven since. It spent most of the time since then in an unheated garage. The hard top was stolen. I'm afraid to take a look at the convertible top. The rear end was changed to a 4.10 because the bolts on the original kept backing out. Here's the link to the photo album:

Thank you.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:42 PM
sbpogge
Racer

looks pretty good to do a restore on lots to work with. Man oh man i re did my 58 it looks just like your only finished. Alot of hard but great work ahead of you. let use know if you get it.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:43 PM
jmschmit
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 58

That thing is a pos if you have the TIME and LOTS OF MONEY. Go for it. The rear gears would be 4.11's.Bill58.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you.
What a great car! They are still out there. Please let us know if you purchase it.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:56 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Default 58 vette

Go for it,Looks like it's all there.What the hell it's only money,Which you are going to need a lot of to redo this car. let me know if you pass I'll take it...
Old 10-25-2009, 07:29 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Looks fairly compete, but that car is going to need absolutely everything done to it.

IF it is a matching numbers motor and trans,and dizzy and generator and FI unit, I would say buy it for maybe $20K and spend $50K making it a nice car. with a liberal amount of your unpaid labor added in.

If it isn't matching, $10K plus same .

Doug
Old 10-25-2009, 07:30 PM
indycopper
8th Gear

What would be a fair price for this car? I've heard these cars have frame rot, so I plan to get it on a lift and take pictures of the underneath next week. But in the mean time, anyone like to give an opinion on price?
Thanks
Old 10-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

What would be a fair price for this car? I've heard these cars have frame rot, so I plan to get it on a lift and take pictures of the underneath next week. But in the mean time, anyone like to give an opinion on price?
Thanks
Please see above post.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:38 PM
finleyeagle
Instructor

Default could possibly help with justifying cars purchase

Hi,
I live about 30 miles south of Indy and am pretty familiar with these cars. I am currently doing a couple 56's of my own. If you would like to call me for some help feel free. My name is Mike Anderson (317)729-2418 and maybe I can help you. I also restore the solid axle cars after 1955.
Later Mike
Old 10-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Tempus_Fugit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Looks fairly compete, but that car is going to need absolutely everything done to it.

IF it is a matching numbers motor and trans,and dizzy and generator and FI unit, I would say buy it for maybe $20K and spend $50K making it a nice car. with a liberal amount of your unpaid labor added in.

Doug
Old 10-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,720 Likes on 805 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

It is amazing that these cars are still out there. This will have to be a labor of love and it will take someone with deep pockets, a love for the marque, and some real patience to see this through, not to mention a lot of energy.

Maybe the owner will take a listed equity, like Amazon, in trade for the car....
Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't know, I don't see this car being as bad off as most others see it.

To fully restore a car, everything is stripped to it's base component and refinished, so I don't get too worried about the dirty condition of the car and interior, as long as the frame isn't rotted, the running gear is salvageable, etc.

Granted some of the chrome is more pitted than preferred, which will require $$ to repair, but for heaven's sake it's a complete Fuelie so if any barn find deserved to be saved, this is one of them.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:23 PM
haccpguy
54 Vette Rod
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Doug
Yes, I bet you would

There would be a long line.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:36 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

To me it looks like almost everything needs to be replaced - you'd be pretty much starting with a basic body. I would imagine the frame is as bad as the rest of the metal items that are shown. I think it would be one of those projects that will cost more to restore than what it would be worth when completed.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:50 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Doug

Yup, as it sits 20K no sweat.

Take your time and get it running and maybe roadworthy first and enjoy the ride. Too many blow 'em apart trying to fix everything at once and get way upside down in a project.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with a 58 Corvette

Old 10-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Gman58
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Big Dough

This has all the markings of a big dollar car. If the numbers on the tranny block and injection are correct and it is a big break car, no way you can touch it for 20K let alone 10K. This is a 100k plus car when its done if everything is correct. Right now I have to believe it's a worth at least 33K. Junk goes for 25K. Greg
Old 10-25-2009, 09:06 PM
vettecityman53
Instructor

Default not a HD brake car......

If it were, the opening behind the front bumpers would be open for the air deflectors, further, I don't think I see the air ducts in the shot of the left rear wheel. I think the wheels are the standard 5" wheels, though it's a little tough to see in these pics. There should be an extra raised rib on the wheels outside the hubcap rim in the center and I don't think I see it. From these angles they do't look to have the extra 1/2" depth. The valve stims do line up with the lug nuts but appear to be the standard size, so I'm betting they are standard 5" wheels. (too bad, 'cause they would be worth a pretty penny!) Just can't tell for sure.

Also, cool, is the fact that the car is not only a fuelie, but a HIGH HORSE fuelie, AND it's complete!!!

I agree that there are probably some real rust issues, from what we see. I would figure to say that there is some rust-through on the axle kickups over the axle and on the rear cross member and probably some heavy pitting on the x-member and main frame rails as well. On an early car like that I would be mindful of the condition of the fiberglass under that paint. It is so old and fatigued, depending on where the car sat and for how long, there could be some issues with rot in the upper glass/gelcoat of the body. The whole body may need glassing over as a result.

Overall, a really cool car though and one I would love to play with. Especially love the 58's with the red interior! If I owned it, I would buy the car and tour with it for a year to shows, just so people could see a REAL BARN FIND.

Also, I would contact the Corvette Museum with an idea I've always had. They should have a "barn find" display with a car just like this, weeds and leaves intact, create fictitious 'barn' and the car setting in it, or being removed and loaded onto a trailer after its discovery. I think this would be a cool display and different from any of the others at the museum.....

But the original Indiana title........thats can't be beat!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,720 Likes on 805 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I don't know, I don't see this car being as bad off as most others see it.

To fully restore a car, everything is stripped to it's base component and refinished, so I don't get too worried about the dirty condition of the car and interior, as long as the frame isn't rotted, the running gear is salvageable, etc.

Granted some of the chrome is more pitted than preferred, which will require $$ to repair, but for heaven's sake it's a complete Fuelie so if any barn find deserved to be saved, this is one of them.
I don't know, Jeff. I respect your opinion, but for every conceivable part you can think you may need to replace, there are probably three or four issues that one does not thoroughly contemplate that will become a reality.

In this market, what does a completed car like this bring? Unless one is looking for the next big adventure, and if you have the money to do both, why not just buy a restored car?

I think the guy that puts this together, not knowing about the frame, is buying a pig in a poke and I think someone will probably be seriously upside down on this project by the end, assuming that he or she has the tenacity to see it through. That is probably the biggest challenge and risk of all---seeing this through to completion. What is a half restored '58 fuelie worth?

Quick Reply: Help with a 58 Corvette