C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Al Knock upholstery compared to the competition.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 AM
FASTBACK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Al Knock upholstery compared to the competition.

I don't know if anyone else has had the opportunity but I have had a chance to recover C1 seats, '62, with an Al Knock cover and a competitor's cover. I first used a competitor's cover. Absolutely appeared at first glance to be no chance of it fitting and after many hours trying and keeping it as warm as possible even with a heat gun to make it fit, they finally tore, both left and right, at the rear corners. Then I sent for an Al Knock cover, so easy in comparison and fit like a glove in about half the time, and they came fully complete with wires already installed. Anyone else have a take on this?
Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

There have been lots of threads on the subject of "who has the best stuff". Some folks swear by the "other guys", and some say Al Knoch has the best. Personally, I have had the opportunity to install "all" of the different brands, and find that the Knoch stuff fits better. Dash pads, door panels, seat covers, and tops. The seats for a C1 are tough enough to do, without having to deal with covers that aren't sewn right. Glad you got it done. My vote is Knoch.

Mike Coletta
Old 10-27-2009, 11:24 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I've bought covers from CA for the seats in my 60 (vinyl), 64 (vinyl) and 74 (leather) and they all fit perfectly. I just bought some for my 65 as well but haven't put them on yet. I've had issues with AK stuff and quit buying from him years ago when their customer service went in the toilet.

Jim
Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I have been buying from CA for the last couple of years, because Al's price got so high and his responsiveness got so bad. Every set of seat covers I have got from CA fit like a glove, and I don't think that there is a better midyear door panel than theirs after they re-tooled and started making the new ones. That being said, soft tops, and C1 dash pads are something I get only from AK. Both these items are superior to any others on the market.

We just put one of Al's dash pads in a 58 yesterday, after having to scrap a brand X pad. Al's pads ain't perfect by a long shot, but they are way better than anything else. He uses a more rigid foam than the competition that is way easier to trim and sand for a perfect fit.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 PM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Last three sets of seat covers I used where CA. 2 midyears and one 69. Fit is perfect. Have just sent them a set of 62 seats and a set of 64 seats. This is the first time I am having them install the covers. I'll see how good they look when they get shipped back. There price to install was much less than anybody I have around here.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 PM
PinkVetteLady
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aworks
Last three sets of seat covers I used where CA. 2 midyears and one 69. Fit is perfect. Have just sent them a set of 62 seats and a set of 64 seats. This is the first time I am having them install the covers. I'll see how good they look when they get shipped back. There price to install was much less than anybody I have around here.
Yeah and the 49 dollar special they have going on right now is hard to beat.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Wiscane
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not excited about their door panels.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 PM
shemp
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ordered mine from Wilcox after hearing the horror stories about AN. They had a sale also saved $ 62 Shemp
Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 PM
VanIsle66
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiscane
I am not excited about their door panels.
Whose door panels????

Get notified of new replies

To Al Knock upholstery compared to the competition.

Quick Reply: Al Knock upholstery compared to the competition.