C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1958 block pad stamping suffix

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:30 PM
2top58
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1958 block pad stamping suffix

I looked at a block in florida that had the correct casting number for a 58 corvette 3737739 and the date by the distribuitor was E98, but the problem was the front pad stamp was F513P. The F is for flint and the 5 is may and 13 is for the 13th day.......but what the heck is P. I thought that the suffix should have two letters. Does anyone know what the single letter P is. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't think its a Corvette block...it should have a two letter suffix per: http://corvette-world.com/corvette_1...tion_codes.php. That casting number was used in trucks and passenger cars: http://www.thedirtforum.com/castings.htm and I'm betting that's what you have...
Old 11-16-2009, 01:34 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2top58
I looked at a block in florida that had the correct casting number for a 58 corvette 3737739 and the date by the distribuitor was E98, but the problem was the front pad stamp was F513P. The F is for flint and the 5 is may and 13 is for the 13th day.......but what the heck is P. I thought that the suffix should have two letters. Does anyone know what the single letter P is. Thanks for any help.
I sold a 58 3737739 Corvette short block quite a few years back, it was pulled from a 58 fuel car! the pad read F305P. I couldn't find a suffix for the "P", so I wrote a letter to Nolan Adams, I believe it was Corvette Enthusiast magazine or was it Corvette Fever, can't remember! Anyhow Nolan's reply was the "P" suffix indicates a factory production engine that replaces the original engine under warranty. I would also verify this through a NCRS judge if you want your corvette to be authentic or be properly documented for your Corvettes history.

I would also run the question by the judge asking how many points are deducted for a factory correct replacement engine. I believe it's not too many points to be concerned with. Good luck, and let us know what your findings are!

rustylugnuts
Old 11-16-2009, 01:44 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

'P' suffix code was used from 1957 thru 1961 for a 283, 2 bbl, 160 hp engine, installed in a large (50 or 60 series) truck.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:08 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Originally Posted by emccomas
'P' suffix code was used from 1957 thru 1961 for a 283, 2 bbl, 160 hp engine, installed in a large (50 or 60 series) truck.
That may also be true! I'm only stating what Nolan Adams answer was after I wrote him, do a google search or look for this question in the Corvette Enthusiast or Corvette Fever archives, the answer was posted in the following month's magazine......

Also trucks & full size vehicles engine in those years were from Tonawanda not Flint!

rustylugnuts

Last edited by rustylugnuts; 11-16-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rustylugnuts

I would also run the question by the judge asking how many points are deducted for a factory correct replacement engine. I believe it's not too many points to be concerned with. Good luck, and let us know what your findings are!

rustylugnuts
'Factory replacement engines' don't get special treatment during NCRS judging.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:23 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
'Factory replacement engines' don't get special treatment during NCRS judging.
Ok, thanks Mike! Another factor that I remember is the bosses were not tapped for side motor mounts. An indication that this particular engine couldn't of been used for anything other than a Corvette. I also pulled the heads that had 58X between the exhaust ports. The pistons were domed, but they could of been easily replaced.

rustylugnuts
Old 11-16-2009, 04:51 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Also trucks & full size vehicles engine in those years were from Tonawanda not Flint!

rustylugnuts
Nope, not hardly. Flint and Tonawanda each built 5500+ engines per day; All of the Tonawanda engines went into passenger cars and trucks, and so did the engines from Flint, except for the 50-60 per day that Flint sent to St. Louis for Corvettes.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:02 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Nope, not hardly. Flint and Tonawanda each built 5500+ engines per day; All of the Tonawanda engines went into passenger cars and trucks, and so did the engines from Flint, except for the 50-60 per day that Flint sent to St. Louis for Corvettes.
So even if this is relevant, the fact still remains that the passenger car & truck engines regardless where they came from, had motor mount holes drilled & tapped on the sides of the block. When this particular engine did not, and that alone indicates the engine in question can "only" be used on a Corvette.

rustylugnuts
Old 11-16-2009, 05:37 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

So even if this is relevant, the fact still remains that the passenger car & truck engines regardless where they came from, had motor mount holes drilled & tapped on the sides of the block. When this particular engine did not, and that alone indicates the engine in question can "only" be used on a Corvette.

rustylugnuts
All 739 blocks had the three bosses and tapped holes on each side for the new motormounts, although not all passenger car and truck applications used them in '58 - many still used the two 3/8"-16 holes on each side of the front of the block for the cushion brackets that were used for all '55-'57 applications.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:22 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I have a friend with an NOS 58 long block assembly (739 casting if I recall). He bought it over the counter in 58.

The front pad is completely blank, but has real nice broach marks.

The interesting thing is that the heads (770 heads I think) are drilled and tapped on the ends like the later model heads. This was for mounting of the air ride suspension system compressor that was an available option in 58.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnZ
All 739 blocks had the three bosses and tapped holes on each side for the new motormounts, although not all passenger car and truck applications used them in '58 - many still used the two 3/8"-16 holes on each side of the front of the block for the cushion brackets that were used for all '55-'57 applications.

Obviously it wasn't "all" engines, I remember the buyer making this observation before purchasing. It's what confirmed the sale. Thats how I remembered about the side mounting bosses were blank. You think I don't know what your doing and why... ha ha ha! I have more proof, but can stretch it out too.... and TP is still wrong!

Thanks, rustylugnuts

Get notified of new replies

To 1958 block pad stamping suffix

Quick Reply: 1958 block pad stamping suffix