C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is vent windo trim stailess only or covered with chrome flash coating?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 02:00 PM
brookiez28
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Is vent windo trim stailess only or covered with chrome flash coating?

I have a 1966 vert and want to polish my side/vent window trim. Is the trim just stainless or is it chrome flash coated? I'm trying to figure out if I can polish the vent window trim while on the car.
Thanks-
Old 12-12-2009, 02:52 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The main vent frame casting is chrome-plated pot metal. The channel that carries the vent window glass is stainless, as is the vertical outside molding immediately aft of the rear edge of the glass. All Corvette stainless trim was flash-chromed after polishing to protect it from oxidation (chrome is clear).

If you really want to "polish" the stainless, you have to get through/remove the chrome layer first, and then it'll gradually take on a yellowish cast unless you have it flash-chromed again.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The main vent frame casting is chrome-plated pot metal. The channel that carries the vent window glass is stainless, as is the vertical outside molding immediately aft of the rear edge of the glass. All Corvette stainless trim was flash-chromed after polishing to protect it from oxidation (chrome is clear).

If you really want to "polish" the stainless, you have to get through/remove the chrome layer first, and then it'll gradually take on a yellowish cast unless you have it flash-chromed again.
Really? I did my 63 SWC in '88 and it still looks like the day we polished it. Course it doesn't set outside.

Get notified of new replies

To Is vent windo trim stailess only or covered with chrome flash coating?

Quick Reply: Is vent windo trim stailess only or covered with chrome flash coating?