C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I'm installing new seat covers in the 56, anyone need pictures?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:59 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default I'm installing new seat covers in the 56, anyone need pictures?

I'm installing new Al Knoch seat covers and seat foam in the 56. The ones in the car now are All Tru that I bought about 30yrs ago. They are beginning to crack and need to be replaced. As we tore down the seats, we discovered a couple of broken springs, the burlap needed replacing, the cotton padding was coming apart and the foam pads had turned hard and just crumbled into dust---------literally. Just in case anyone needs to see anything, let me know and I'll take pictures. A couple of interesting things that we found were part number tags on the backs and bottoms.

Here is a torn down seat back. The spings are in good shape, but otherwise it will need complete rebuilding. That roll behind the seat back is upholstery cotton padding to replace the original cotton padding which is falling apart. Under the waffle portion of the seat cover/foam pad, is a layer of burlap which is in shreds. We are going back with two layers of burlap.

This is a seat back tag. NOTHING whatsoever was legible.

This is a seat bottom tag, dated 7-30-56 and my car was built 9-7-56.

This is the first finished seat bottom. The waffle squares are MUCH MORE pronounced than the old ones.

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 01-01-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm installing new seat covers in the 56, anyone need pictures?