C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

P&G Valve Gapper User's Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Lance Miller
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default P&G Valve Gapper User's Manual

I just bought a P&G Valve Gapper - got the universal set with all the inner and outer barrels... but no users' manual.

Can anyone let me know which combination inner and out barrels I am supposed to use on my '66 L72 427?

Or better yet, point me to a electronic copy of such a manual?

Thanks,
Lance
Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance Miller
I just bought a P&G Valve Gapper - got the universal set with all the inner and outer barrels... but no users' manual.

Can anyone let me know which combination inner and out barrels I am supposed to use on my '66 L72 427?

Thanks,
Lance
most of the time when purchased used, the instructions are missing....suggest a google search....you will probably use it once just for the novelty...a feeler gauge in the right hands and with the right methods is just as reliable and quicker especially with engines without rocker stands....makes for a good conversation piece though!...jmo....
Old 01-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Lance Miller
Heel & Toe

Did the Google route and found nothing of value. Know use of the tool will have little to no actual performance benefit but want the sound that only be obtained from precise measurement/adjustment.

"...a feeler gauge in the right hands and with the right methods is just as reliable and quicker... "

I have been using feeler gauges as often as monthly (hot and running, cold and rotated by hand - every possible variation) on the same engine for 14 years. Only about 1 in 4 adjustments results in the sewing machine sound I am looking for. I am ready to try one more method in search of repeatable accuracy.

Last edited by Lance Miller; 01-31-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Bill Wilhelm
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Lance,
have a P&G gapper with no instructions also. If you find any of the instructions I would like a copy.
I have found the P&G tool too be slow to use but very precise. Idle speed is also smoother with less jumping around. Bill
Old 02-02-2010, 03:11 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks,
Lance
Lance,
I think this will answer your questions. If you'd like a photo copy of the 3 pages, send me a PM and I'll mail them to you.

I love using mine. State of the art in '62!
Verne
Old 02-02-2010, 03:49 PM
W Guy
Drifting

BTW, The sheets I have are just the parts applications for the various engines. The actual user instructions are glued inside the wood box lid.

These are the parts your 427 will need. If you have the little metal hook to lift up the rear of the rocker, you won't need to tighten down the nut to zero lash.

Verne
Old 02-02-2010, 04:30 PM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

no offence, but i never had any use for one, they are slow as can be. on solid lifter C2s feeler gaugers are way faster. but adjusting all the C2 solid cams i just listenend to them, they were way faster to adjust when the ramps quited downed, you never had to figure if they a 12-17 or a 20-20 or a 30-30 cam, you just adjustede them until the clacking stopped... then you knew you were on ramps of the cam. now days hydrolics and hydroc roller lifters makes solid lifter cam lifters obsolite
Old 02-02-2010, 08:14 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mechron
no offence, but i never had any use for one, they are slow as can be. on solid lifter C2s feeler gaugers are way faster. but adjusting all the C2 solid cams i just listenend to them, they were way faster to adjust when the ramps quited downed, you never had to figure if they a 12-17 or a 20-20 or a 30-30 cam, you just adjustede them until the clacking stopped... then you knew you were on ramps of the cam. now days hydrolics and hydroc roller lifters makes solid lifter cam lifters obsolite
Yep, do it by ear. That "sounds" like an extremely accurate approach.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Lance Miller
Heel & Toe

Verne - exactly what I was looking for. Knew someone would have a copy.
I would like to take you up on the photcopy - I will PM you.

Regarding other responses to this post - always amazes me how when you ask for something specific, how many folks think you want their opinion instead.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:37 AM
W Guy
Drifting

PM answered. Best way for me would be regular mail.
Verne
Old 02-06-2010, 10:49 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Verne - exactly what I was looking for. Knew someone would have a copy.
I would like to take you up on the photcopy - I will PM you.

Regarding other responses to this post - always amazes me how when you ask for something specific, how many folks think you want their opinion instead.
hey that's ok lance, sorry i gave you my honest opinion here....i just won't answer your posts anymore....this is a forum and a lot of us post here to share info on many things from experience....my experience with the tool you ask about is i was a sales rep for that particular product when it was first introduced, so no harm, no foul, good luck to you......
Old 02-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by W Guy
Yep, do it by ear. That "sounds" like an extremely accurate approach.
Some folks set their timing by ear and eyeball their front end alignment.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:23 PM
W Guy
Drifting

I once actually had a "mechanic" adjust my '62 voltage regulator by ear.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:54 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mechron
I assume this approach is done hot. Can the Duntov also be adjusted this way, until the clacking stops?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,720 Likes on 805 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

What is the spring and the attached plastic screwdriver slotted piece for?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,720 Likes on 805 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Here is an interesting story written by Ed Iskendarian's son on the use of a P & G valve adjuster.
I am not being critical here; it is just something that I found on the internet while do a search on P & G. I remember the instrument--back in the day-- but never used one. Good reading.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/tech...sion/ii_4.html
Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Feeler gage was way off on this one...very noisy.

Get notified of new replies

To P&G Valve Gapper User's Manual

Old 02-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mashinter
Feeler gage was way off on this one...very noisy.

This one would not likely cause a burp or a clack if you used a P&G, though this one is a bit extreme. Worn rocker arm tips were always a bit of a problem for a feeler gauge, just as with a set of points (that why we used dwell meters).
Old 02-06-2010, 10:19 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Whether you use a feeler gauge or a P&G, that rocker will not give you an accurate reading.

Since this has almost turned into a debate between a feeler gauge or the P&G, I will say that *if you know how to use it*, the P&G is faster and as accurate as a leaf.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:21 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by W Guy
Whether you use a feeler gauge or a P&G, that rocker will not give you an accurate reading.

Since this has almost turned into a debate between a feeler gauge or the P&G, I will say that *if you know how to use it*, the P&G is faster and as accurate as a leaf.
that rocker could also damage the p&g.......

Quick Reply: P&G Valve Gapper User's Manual