C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Muncie close ratio vs wide

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You cats are the most!
Old 08-12-2016, 11:31 PM
fsdemasi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triple Carb Offy intake and Corvette dual exhaust maninfold on a 261 in my 54

Hi Tom,

You sure brought back fond memories of my 54 Chevy Del Ray 2-door sedan. I did the west coast Frank McGurk 261 engine swap and added a 38 Buick Floor shift trans with 48 buick GEARS AND MODIFIED tail shaft while retaining a chevy torque tube set up. Welded the 54 chevy spline from a u-joint to the front half of the Buick u-joint.

The 261 short block used all the accessory components of the 235 engine as well as the corvette 235 high lift short duration camshaft with mechanical lifters. I added a 54 235 polished ported milled head and the corvette 235 dual valve springs, corvette 6 split exhaust manifold and an Offy 3 carb intake manifold. first time out got blown off by a stock 55 chevy with a 265 v-8 engine!!

58 years later, I still have my 54 vette that I bought in 1968, restored in 76 with the same 261 conversion . Illness forces my sale as listed in the Corvette forum C-1 section. the vette has a 3 speed now since I never rounded up the cash to put in a wide ratio 4-speed. Would a Muncie wide ratio box fit the 54 vette with out modifications to the existing drive line? I would like to advise any potential buyer of the possibility. I liked the way my old 54 chevy performed with the 2.54 1st gear in the buick gear box.

Best...

Frank D...

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Nope! When they started rattling, I pulled it in my uncle's garage and rebuilt a 261 truck engine ttheat he had against the wall and installed the Vette 3 side drafts and dual exhaust manifold. The 3 carbs are long gone, but I still have the 6cyl dual ex manifold under the workbench. Unfortunately, no pictures of the 51 with the 261/3 carbs.
Oh ya, but I'm still driving the 51 EVERY DAY-----------------5 engines later!

When and where I grew up, Columbia butt was the term----------------sounded swell, Columbia rear was nowhereville, man! C'mon daddyo, get with it!

Tom Parsons

Tom Parsons
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Muncie close ratio vs wide