C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dewitt Radiator Direct Fit Anyone here.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Airetime
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dewitt Radiator Direct Fit Anyone here.....

Anyone here polish the top tank and ice black the rest? I am about ready to order and after taking a long look at what I want, I have decided that is the combo I want. Only the top tank would look good polished as I run a twin fan on it in the engine compartment and want it blacked out through the grill. It would be a real PITA to keep the bottom tank looking good if it was polished.

Anyone have a pic of this combo for me? Sometimes I think something looks good in my head but in real life?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:34 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

for my 63swc

inside - engine side

grill side
Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 AM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

That is insanely beautiful.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Airetime
Advanced

Default Kind of the idea..

Originally Posted by firstgear
for my 63swc

inside - engine side

grill side
Thanks for posting the pic Looks great! Do you have a pic of it installed?

The radiator that will going on my 59 has the filler tank on top with the other tank on the bottom (the reason that I want only the top polished). Anyone done that to their 58 or 59?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:14 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Airetime
Thanks for posting the pic Looks great! Do you have a pic of it installed?

The radiator that will going on my 59 has the filler tank on top with the other tank on the bottom (the reason that I want only the top polished). Anyone done that to their 58 or 59?
I dont have this one installed yet, but I do have one in my 1960 as well. In that case I polished the top. It doesn't have the "chrome" plastic fan housing but rather it is black. I took black paint and sprayed the front so that there is a black out looking through the grill.

I will post photos tonight...can't get through the firewall to post.....
Old 04-06-2010, 12:02 PM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Now that looks "ice" cool...
Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

here is the engine side of the radiator. I bought this before DeWitts offered the polishing and chrome fans....I would have upgraded then if they had it.

and painted black on the outside...I have seen aluminum radiators in cars that have not been painted and the problem IMO is that you see the aluminum color and it tends to take away from the rest of the car, almost a distraction IMO.....
Old 04-06-2010, 09:56 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

OK, I just gotta have one of those intakes. Wow.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Airetime
Advanced

Default Received the Dewitt Radiator...

Originally Posted by firstgear
here is the engine side of the radiator. I bought this before DeWitts offered the polishing and chrome fans....I would have upgraded then if they had it.

and painted black on the outside...I have seen aluminum radiators in cars that have not been painted and the problem IMO is that you see the aluminum color and it tends to take away from the rest of the car, almost a distraction IMO.....
I received the Direct Fit radiator the other day and it looks great! I thought that the polishing was a bit rough at first but after polishing it myself, I found that the aluminum is very soft and will scratch easily. Simichrome to the rescue! I'll post some pics later. I had them polish only the top tank (1959 rad) and ice black the rest. Good people to work with. I will install it once I get my Bend Pak lift which should be here soon, I hope as the weather is getting nice.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:27 PM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default DeWitt rad.

I have a Dewitt radiator that I ordered unpainted, it looks just like Firstgears. In my '60. Its been in my car five years now. , before I installed it I sprayed Eastwoods "diamond clear" on it. It has never yellowed .
I didnt want any bugs to get into that beautiful radiator so I put a Anderson window screen in front of it . 25 5/8 " X 21 3/16 " O.D. . I made two "L" brackets for the bottom so that the screen would not keep on sliding down. I can pull it up with my fingers from the top to inspect / clean it.
Put a screen in my '64 , L76 also . That one measures 16 3/4" X 23" O.D. I can pull that one up from the top also.
Screens won't work with electric fans in front of the rad.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Dave64
Drifting

Received 520 Likes on 192 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by lovevettes
I have a Dewitt radiator that I ordered unpainted, it looks just like Firstgears. In my '60. Its been in my car five years now. , before I installed it I sprayed Eastwoods "diamond clear" on it. It has never yellowed .
I didnt want any bugs to get into that beautiful radiator so I put a Anderson window screen in front of it . 25 5/8 " X 21 3/16 " O.D. . I made two "L" brackets for the bottom so that the screen would not keep on sliding down. I can pull it up with my fingers from the top to inspect / clean it.
Put a screen in my '64 , L76 also . That one measures 16 3/4" X 23" O.D. I can pull that one up from the top also.
Screens won't work with electric fans in front of the rad.
Have you got any pictures of your screen installed? Come-on post 'em up...
Old 05-11-2010, 12:34 PM
sea1
8th Gear

Thinking about getting one of these dewitt's for my 60, do I need to run a differant fan or will the stock style work,motors insn't stock,340 hp on the dyno,runs about 200-205 and would like to get that down in the 190-195 range,ideas? Thanks,have'nt posted but I've been looking around here for a while,good site
Old 05-11-2010, 01:47 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sea1
Thinking about getting one of these dewitt's for my 60, do I need to run a differant fan or will the stock style work,motors insn't stock,340 hp on the dyno,runs about 200-205 and would like to get that down in the 190-195 range,ideas? Thanks,have'nt posted but I've been looking around here for a while,good site
I put a DeWitt's Direct Fit in my '60 several years ago. I am running a warmed-over 350. The temperature dropped around 20 degrees with no other changes. I use a viscous drive fan which has six (I think) blades.

Although 200-205 doesn't sound too bad, I would recommend the DeWitt radiator if you want to drop the temp. I don't think you need to change your fan.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:05 PM
sea1
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 1COOL60
I put a DeWitt's Direct Fit in my '60 several years ago. I am running a warmed-over 350. The temperature dropped around 20 degrees with no other changes. I use a viscous drive fan which has six (I think) blades.

Although 200-205 doesn't sound too bad, I would recommend the DeWitt radiator if you want to drop the temp. I don't think you need to change your fan.
Thanks for the info and I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread,I should have started a new one,thanks again
Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Airetime
Advanced

The people over at Dewitts Radiator are decent to work with. If you have time, wait for the CF sale to save 10%. You can always ask for the Discount though. As far as the temp goes, I was running about 200 and after I installed it last week, it stayed at about 160 but I run twin electric fans with my 59. The power is a 1970 350/370 LT1 that I built back in 1973. I reworked it, bored to 355 and installed a 350/350 cam, rollers, headers, Keith Black pistons etc, etc. Probably about 360hp now. The Direct Fit is a high flow good up to 600HP according to Dewitt. So far, I feel comfortable with it.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:21 PM
sea1
8th Gear

Thanks for the info,I plan on ordering it soon,whens the CF sale?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Airetime
Advanced

Default CF Sale

Originally Posted by sea1
Thanks for the info,I plan on ordering it soon,whens the CF sale?
Last one was last fall and so they didn't do one in the spring, should be soon, I'd give them a call and ask. As I said they are decent to deal with.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default No paint

Originally Posted by Airetime
Anyone here polish the top tank and ice black the rest? I am about ready to order and after taking a long look at what I want, I have decided that is the combo I want. Only the top tank would look good polished as I run a twin fan on it in the engine compartment and want it blacked out through the grill. It would be a real PITA to keep the bottom tank looking good if it was polished.

Anyone have a pic of this combo for me? Sometimes I think something looks good in my head but in real life?
Installed without paint

Jack
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To Dewitt Radiator Direct Fit Anyone here.....

Quick Reply: Dewitt Radiator Direct Fit Anyone here.....