C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to remove parking brake handle C1

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:46 PM
olDW17
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Default How to remove parking brake handle C1

Help...I've opened a can of worms! I have always wanted to remove the parking brake handle assembly on my 62 just to clean and paint it. To me, It's always been a eyesore. How do I get the big nut loose on the firewall side? It appears to be rusted (frozen).
What is th U shaped pin holding together that's on the firewall side? Does the spiral cable housing disconnect from the handle? I've got the pin out of the rod and the brake switch off...what's next?
I've searched the forum but I can't find what I'm looking for.
Thanks in advance. Help!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Had the same issue with my 57....I had to cut a grove in the nut on the firewall side to remove the nut. The nut is available from any of the Corvette suppliers (Corvette Central, Paragon etc.) for about $20.00. The U shaped clip (parking brake spring clip) holds the cable outside cover and the cable slides into a slot in the rod that goes back to the handle. After you get the nut off it should be a piece of cake.....Good luck with your project.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 PM
olDW17
Instructor

Thanks for the info. The thought crossed my mind about cutting the nut off...if I can do it without damaging the firewall. I see where Corvette Central has the nut available.
I have even been on the nut with a wrench while my wife held the handle under the dash with a pipe wrench...the nut wont budge!
Thanks, Steve
Old 04-07-2010, 07:45 AM
GRTaylor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Penetrating oil may help loosen the nut. http://www.kanolabs.com/ sells the best penetrating oil I have ever used.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by olDW17
Thanks for the info. The thought crossed my mind about cutting the nut off...if I can do it without damaging the firewall. I see where Corvette Central has the nut available.
I have even been on the nut with a wrench while my wife held the handle under the dash with a pipe wrench...the nut wont budge!
Thanks, Steve
I would go after it with my dremel or my die grinder.....
Old 04-08-2010, 08:14 PM
olDW17
Instructor

Well, after spraying liquid wrench on it several times yesterday, I was able to get the nut off. I actually had to put a pipe wrench on the handle under the dash, right up against the firewall. I bought a deepwell 15/16th socket and eventually it came loose. Hooray!!! I've only had this car 34 years and I have tried multiple times to get it off just to clean it up. Finally!!
But, now with it on the workbench, I slid out the rod and the pawls and spring fell out. Now I can't figure out how they go back in. I've got a few days before I will be putting it back in the car (clean, beadblast, and paint). Anyone have any pics of how the little curly-cue spring goes back on the pawls? I know how it supposed to be arranged but I can't figure out how to get the spring on and the pawls in at the same time.

Thanks, Steve
Old 04-10-2010, 08:33 AM
arw57
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring

They go together one piece at a time. The pawls and then the spring. I will email you a picture today. A little anti sieze makes the p-brake so smooth. Have fun and stop it!
Old 10-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Ferry
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arw57
They go together one piece at a time. The pawls and then the spring. I will email you a picture today. A little anti sieze makes the p-brake so smooth. Have fun and stop it!
Hello I was happy to find this post but unfortunately I can't see the picture. is this possible to have one?

Thanks a lot

Ferry
Old 10-11-2014, 07:09 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferry
Hello I was happy to find this post but unfortunately I can't see the picture. is this possible to have one?

Thanks a lot

Ferry
This is a '63-'66, but they're the same.
Attached Images   
Old 10-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Ferry
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a lot John it's very helpful, nothing can replace an image.
I owe you one

Again Thanks,

Ferry

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove parking brake handle C1

Quick Reply: How to remove parking brake handle C1