C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bought a '61/'61 hardtop this morning

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
the few times it will be on the car...
You may end up leaving it on more than off.

For short around town trips, I do prefer topless, but at highway speed, you cannot beat the hardtop, all the wind buffeting is gone, even with the windows down, you have shade, and none of that cloth top annoying flapping.

Doug
Old 04-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
You may end up leaving it on more than off.

For short around town trips, I do prefer topless, but at highway speed, you cannot beat the hardtop, all the wind buffeting is gone, even with the windows down, you have shade, and none of that cloth top annoying flapping.

Doug
I think the convertible with both hardtop and softtop is the best of both worlds!!

Old 04-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

QUESTION...can one man (I'm 5'7 and 168lb) get the hardtop on by himself ? without a hoist ? with a hoist ?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

QUESTION...can one man (I'm 5'7 and 168lb) get the hardtop on by himself ? without a hoist ? with a hoist ?
You "may" be able to lift it on and off, but it only takes one time to drop it.............(ask Bill).

Either get a helper or a hoist.

John
Old 04-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Plasticman
You "may" be able to lift it on and off, but it only takes one time to drop it.............(ask Bill).

Either get a helper or a hoist.

John
That's what I figured...pretty much like the '57 T-Bird hardtop my 'ole man had... Definitely a two man (or one man and a boy back then) job.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:36 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Don't even think about it.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Frank, due to their size and not so much about their weight that they are awkward to handle. Definitely easier to handle with two people or a hoist.
Mike T.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

QUESTION...can one man (I'm 5'7 and 168lb) get the hardtop on by himself ? without a hoist ? I don't think so, and if you could, it'd be awfully risky . . . .with a hoist ? Yep, it's quite doable, but a lot quicker and easier with a second helper.
Based on my experience . . . . .

Old 04-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frank, it is possible to install the hardtop yourself with care and patience. I store my 62 hardtop in my son's old bedroom on the second floor of our house. Last year, in the middle of a weekday, I could find no one to help me, so I carefully carried it down our front entrance stairs and into the garage. Before I put it on the car, I laid some heavyweight old bath towels over the decklid making sure to cover the whole area. Then I carefully set the top on the car and slid it on the towels to its approximate location over the windshield. Then I carefully slid the towels out and the top could be bolted down. It sounds worse that it really is. Just be careful and take your time. Good luck.

Mark
Old 04-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

OK, Finally where are the hardtop installation instructions ??

I've looked in the owner's manual for the '61 and the ST-12 but didn't see it.
I know about the front latches and bolting to the deck lid but there are side attachments (under the top's side windows I think) that I know nothing bout...many people have removed them over the years I am told.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

OK, Finally where are the hardtop installation instructions ??

I've looked in the owner's manual for the '61 and the ST-12 but didn't see it.
I know about the front latches and bolting to the deck lid but there are side attachments (under the top's side windows I think) that I know nothing bout...many people have removed them over the years I am told.
The side attachments just use the same bolts that go on the decklid. There is a threaded nut that goes on top of the door jamb. I can take a photo of the top of the door jamb if you like.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Store in a box on wheels?

I built a box on wheels with padding inside I keep in my garage to store mine in vertically & keep it behind the Corvette. It's also handy for putting "extra" lightweight parts into that get used only ocassionally or for show as well (Air cleaners, shielding, etc).

I can get the top in & out easily by myself, but always have help putting it on or taking it off the car. I've seen one guy who had a tall garage ceiling who built a platform hung from the ceiling to slide it onto, but clearly took 2 people to get it up or down.

I like the white headliner & agree with other posters it brightens the interior. I some times wish my black cloth top was white inside too (I believe even the white soft tops have a black interior) but it's probably black to conceal the marks from bumping my head on it when it's up .
Old 04-14-2010, 03:30 PM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default HT side bolts.

There are L shaped brackets on each side of the HT (about 2" back from the edge of the side window, and screwed onto the top)that mate to mounts on the car near where your Soft Top straps snap, right behind the seat. Mine came with bolts that look just like the bolts used on the rear deck of the car to hold the HT - so all 4 bolts holding the HT on look alike. Since the brackets on the HT look like you can remove them, you can probably get them aftermarket. The mount on the body is a different matter - it's part of the car.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default White Headliners

Originally Posted by hedgehead
White..I think.
Only white is correct for both 61 and 62.....and the picture is how I know

I also put it on and take it off by myself by balancing and lifting it from the middle of the side windows...

.Don't attempt to do this if you lack arm strength.....it is about 50 lbs. and awkward....

Last edited by Ironcross; 04-14-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

It appears the hardtop in the pictures does has the side brackets (good! CC has the brackets but they are $129 a pair...steep)

I only have two of the proper bolts though and will have to examine the car to see if it has the threaded fixture on the sides to accept the top brackets and bolts...

Can I run the top on the car without the side brackets secured for a while with no ill effects ?

I'll post some pics tomorrow after pickup..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-14-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Can I run the top on the car without the side brackets secured for a while with no ill effects ?
I'm not sure, but I THINK they are just 1/4 x 20 thread. You say you have 2 - do you have time to dig through your bolt collection, or a hardware store, and find 2 more about the same length, with the same thread?

If you require, I can confirm the thread pitch for you, I'm home sick today and can step into the shop to take a look.

Just let me kn ow if you need that, and if you want a picture of the threaded insert.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:04 PM
wib1961
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes- you can run without the sides bolted ,but do get the bolts as soon as you can and bolt them down. BTW be careful as you install these bolts because if you drop one it WILL go under the seat and then you more than likely will have to remove your seat to retrieve it. One of mine stayed under the seat for years.And please DO get help putting the top on always. Not worth the risk. ps-I'm sure the next item you purchase is the original open end wrench to tighten these bolts if you don't already have one.

Last edited by wib1961; 04-14-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: add a line

Get notified of new replies

To Bought a '61/'61 hardtop this morning

Old 04-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I'm not sure, but I THINK they are just 1/4 x 20 thread. You say you have 2 - do you have time to dig through your bolt collection, or a hardware store, and find 2 more about the same length, with the same thread?

If you require, I can confirm the thread pitch for you, I'm home sick today and can step into the shop to take a look.

Just let me kn ow if you need that, and if you want a picture of the threaded insert.
Yes Jeff..if you are feeling well enough I would appreciate a pic of the body side mounts points....if I have those then I will easily match up some generic bolts for now to snug things up... I know what the threaded insert looks like (same as the deck lid) I can't seem to find where the insert is installed on the body though...my mounting points might be glassed over or some such nonsense...
Old 04-14-2010, 04:12 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

... I can't seem to find where the insert is installed on the body though...my mounting points might be glassed over or some such nonsense...
They were not drilled for the mount inserts, unless the car came with a hard top.

I'll get a picture, be right back....
Old 04-14-2010, 04:16 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Here you go. All 3 pictures taken of the driver's side mount location.

Quick Reply: Bought a '61/'61 hardtop this morning