C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need help with Installing '66 vert front window channels

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:43 AM
brookiez28
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Need help with Installing '66 vert front window channels

Just received new front window channels for my '66 vert from Ecklers. They are not nearly as curved as the originals, but do have a slight curve. A couple of questions:
1. Does anyone know of a supplier out there that sells these with the proper degree of curve? Not sure if I have a poorly made pair or if this is how they are made. The originals snap perfectly into place, but the repros are a pain!

2. How do I best secure these at the top, by the vent window? I can see the tabs in the frame that go through the holes in the new channel, and I know I need to rivet the channel in 2 places at the lower end of the frame. But given that the new channel is not very curved, when I press it into the frame it tends to pop out at the top. My concern is that there is too much pressure on the channel at the top so the small tabs that insert from the frame through the channel will just not hold the channel in place.

Has anyone out there been able to secure the top section another way, such as drilling a small hole in the top portion of the channel then screwing into the frame? I don't want to screw up the vent window and am not sure how to best secure the top!

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2010, 12:04 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the exact same problem...... a real PITA. It's been a while, but I do remember that I ended up drilling a very small hole at the top of the channel, and installed a very small, self tapping, phillips head screw. Used a black sharpie to color the screw head, plus you couldn't see the screw, buried in the black whiskers...... worked for me.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

What I did may not be correct but with what I did no one will ever know.. LOL Well all of you guys will though.

I drilled the original rivets out and bent the tabs back to remove the old channel. I then drilled the holes out to allow for the current pop rivets that I had. Once the two rivets were in place I zip tied the rest in to the top. This allowed me to bend the tabs over and secure the channel. I doubt that you will find the channel with the correct curve. I'm not sure they ever existed.

Dave
Old 04-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Trkdrvr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

drilled and pop rivited....works fine-chuck
Old 04-18-2010, 04:21 PM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same problem when I replaced mine. I made a template out of wood ,using the old curved chanel as a guide , then bent the new piece to match. The hard part was keeping the piece from twisting as I was bending. Once bent the instal was easy. Hope this helps, Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with Installing '66 vert front window channels

Quick Reply: Need help with Installing '66 vert front window channels