C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 hardtop front weatherstrip

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Default '61 hardtop front weatherstrip

Got the top back from the vinyl repair guy and I had to lay my cheek down on the headliner to try to see the repair (there was a 3" 'split' when I got the top) and its invisible...he even re-dyed the entire headliner white again (there were some mild stains). Best $40 I've spent in a long time.

I got the front weather strip today and have decided to reuse the P-clips and knurled rivets since they cleaned up so well. Here is the problem...the AIM page shows the P-clips with their side ridges facing outwards (see red arrow); yet in the Glassworks youtube video [IMG]file:///C:/Users/FRANKD%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]it appears the installer is putting them in with the ridges facing the weatherstrip ?!?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVWbp...eature=related. Is it my bad eyesight or what ??

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-06-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Got the top back from the vinyl repair guy and I had to lay my cheek down on the headliner to try to see the repair (there was a 3" 'split' when I got the top) and its invisible...he even re-dyed the entire headliner white again (there were some mild stains). Best $40 I've spent in a long time.

I got the front weather strip today and have decided to reuse the P-clips and knurled rivets since they cleaned up so well. Here is the problem...the AIM page shows the P-clips with their side ridges facing outwards (see red arrow); yet in the Glassworks youtube video [IMG]file:///C:/Users/FRANKD%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]it appears the installer is putting them in with the ridges facing the weatherstrip ?!?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVWbp...eature=related. Is it my bad eyesight or what ??
here's the big 'IF'...

IF the legs will not touch the windshield header when the top is clamped down, then i would put the legs down toward the windshield (or up, depending on your perspective) as the 'legs' will cut into the w/s.

personally, i wouldn't use them at all...
Bill
Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The P-clips are pretty deep in that rubber channel and even with the legs down (pointing INTO the rubber) there would be an issue of the rivet head hitting the metal windshield frame if things are that tight.

The rivets are so darn short I'm thinking do it like the AIM shows to get the use of most of the rivet's shaft to hold things in. I'll give GlassWorks a call tomorrow....I'll mention your name!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

I did mine per the drawing. That's the way they were in there for 48 years when I took them out.

John F
Old 04-20-2010, 06:58 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Frank, stick it in without the rivets etc, see what you think. No one but you will ever know. When the top is on the car the seal is pinched between the top and windshield header. Where is it going to go? No where. When you take it off you will find that the seal will stay in the channel.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM
vette61
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If you want to do it "correctly" do it like the AIM. You already know that the rivets are short, now add the new rubber thickness and IF you turn them the other way, i.e., legs touching the rubber, that will give you less in rivet length. I recently went thru this on my top, believe me you will need as much rivet length as possible to get them to stay in.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by g5pp
I did mine per the drawing. That's the way they were in there for 48 years when I took them out.

John F
my HT is the original HT and there has never been rivets/plates holding the w/s in place.... must have been built on a Friday...
Bill
Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by wmf62
my HT is the original HT and there has never been rivets/plates holding the w/s in place.... must have been built on a Friday...
Bill
Funny....I believe AZDoug says the same...
Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Frank, mine had what I am almost positive was the original weatherstrip with P clips and rivets. They were installed (and are once again installed) as shown in the AIM with the ridges facing out.

Paul

Old 04-20-2010, 11:24 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Funny....I believe AZDoug says the same...
Yes. No evidence of twist rivets ever installed, i looked at the holes with a loupe when i had the W/S out.

And, I have found life is often much simpler by not flagellating myself doing generally useless things that nobody will ever see or notice.

You *do* have those little brass spiral static collectors inside the front wheel hub dust caps, don't you?? I don't....

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 04-20-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:43 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Yes. No evidence of twist rivets ever installed, i looked at the holes with a loupe when i had the W/S out.

And, I have found life is often much simpler by not flagellating myself doing generally useless things that nobody will ever see or notice.

You *do* have those little brass spiral static collectors inside the front wheel hub dust caps, don't you?? I don't....

Doug
Doug (and anyone else..)
do you remember how your ends were originally cut? the last time i replaced it myself i cut the ends square; this is how Glassworks did mine when they reworked the top...

Bill
Old 04-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I can tell you my replacement weatherstrip for the front is 'squared off' on each end for sure.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
Doug (and anyone else..)
do you remember how your ends were originally cut? the last time i replaced it myself i cut the ends square; this is how Glassworks did mine when they reworked the top...
Bill

My old weatherstrip was so brittle Bill, the corners had long since broken off. I trimmed my new one based on the way that Glassworks had done yours, I figure they probably know more about these old hardtops than anyone.

I can tell you my replacement weatherstrip for the front is 'squared off' on each end for sure.
Maybe the one you bought Frank had been pre-cut to fit, but my new one was just a length that had been cut square from a roll. I had to trim it a couple of inches anyway to fit.

Paul

Last edited by Fawndeuce; 04-21-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Had to trim mine a couple of inches just now too.
Glassworks confirmed via phone call that the rivet plate 'edges' face AWAY from the weatherstrip (just like the AIM shows)...e.g. you should see the 'P' letter on the plate AFTER they are installed. They will also replace the rear weatherstrip for around $1,000 dollars...with the cost of the correct weatherstrip around $250 and the PITA this job is its prob not that bad a price for a professional to do it.

Finished the top this morning and did install the rivets and plates...it just wasn't that much trouble and it kept from bagging and tagging them somewhere for the future.

First pic is the vinyl tear in the headliner, second is after it was repaired yesterday. Third pic is front weatherstrip 'mess' and fourth is with it now freshly replaced. The blue tape is where I have used adhesive to tie the corners of the side weatherstrip into the front piece. All-in-all the top could use some stainless steel buffing later on but looks damn near new. Now to see if it will fit on the car !!!

WHAT DO HARDTOP OWNERS USE TO CLEAN THE PLEXIGLASS WINDOWS ??

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-06-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:57 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

WHAT DO HARDTOP OWNERS USE TO CLEAN THE PLEXIGLASS WINDOWS ??
Clean them, or de-haze them?

For cleaning, I use a water based wax called FastWax by Presta. It also is recommended for new paint jobs as it does seal the paint, it lets it breath, it also comes off with soap and water.

It also works well on regular galss for cleaning and removing streaks

For de-hazing, Meguires Deep Crystal paint polish works very well.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To '61 hardtop front weatherstrip

Quick Reply: '61 hardtop front weatherstrip