C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 with a one wire alternator Q.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Tcom
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 67 with a one wire alternator Q.

Installing a one wire alternator on my 67. Do I just use the original red alt. wire? What to do with the remaining blue and white wires? I have removed the voltage regulator and installed the conversion kit used to wire an internal regulator alternator (3 wire). Cant help but feel something is wrong with this wiring setup but not sure.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default I would think twice before doing it

Originally Posted by Tcom
Installing a one wire alternator on my 67. Do I just use the original red alt. wire? What to do with the remaining blue and white wires? I have removed the voltage regulator and installed the conversion kit used to wire an internal regulator alternator (3 wire). Cant help but feel something is wrong with this wiring setup but not sure.
The original set up is better than a one wire set up. With the 3 wire set up the voltage regulator with supply all the current you need for accessories (14 volts) and keep your battery charged.

Do a search on one wire vs 3 wire setup. It is a great article that will explain it, I was thinking of doing the conversion until I read the post.

Here is the link that explains some of it. It is the one I read,

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml

Jack

Ps found the post

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-whats-up.html

Last edited by Jackfit; 04-23-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Tcom
Advanced

Thank you for the reply. I got this alternator in the VA frontrunner kit that I bought and installed. Is there any problem with running the car on the 1 wire setup to test run my project? Can this alternator be changed to accept the 3 wires?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Russ T Gate
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run a one wire for about 10 years now without any problems. I have the front runner system with a 105 amp alternator and it keeps the battery fully charged, however if you have one go out on the road it may be hard to find a auto supply that carries the one wire. If you use the one you have you may want to increase the size of the wire to accept the additional amps over stock. It's my understanding that when you start your car the one wire does not start to charge until you excite the system by running the rpm's up above 2,000 rpm's for a few seconds. Once you do this all systems are go. As for converting the one wire back to the three, I'm sure it can be done.
Good luck.
Russ
Old 04-23-2010, 12:45 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Yes, you only need to connect the red wire. But I found that the black wire was right there and handy, so connected it to the case bolt. The plug for the white and blue was simply removed and these two wire tucked back into the loom. I didn't even remove or change any wires on the voltage regulator.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:39 PM
galeel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by toddalin
Yes, you only need to connect the red wire. But I found that the black wire was right there and handy, so connected it to the case bolt. The plug for the white and blue was simply removed and these two wire tucked back into the loom. I didn't even remove or change any wires on the voltage regulator.

how do you properly ground the alternator?
Old 11-27-2014, 12:51 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by galeel
how do you properly ground the alternator?
If it's bolted to the engine, it's grounded.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 with a one wire alternator Q.

Quick Reply: 67 with a one wire alternator Q.