C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need a little help on a 1958 price

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we all agree to get a list together and start adding up that very long list. Even if it's a resto mod it's going to be a long one ! You can't make an offer until you have a list of what it needs. Stewy
Old 12-06-2010, 06:05 PM
remotecontroller
Racer

Default cost of a restoration

Originally Posted by Audiophobe
Does that mean parts or parts and labor?
I am a week or so away from finishing a 2 year resto on my '58. Only chrome I needed was the windshield posts. I bring this up because there is a lot of chrome and rechroming things like those trunk spears alone will be $1,000 if not more (I am basing this on the ones in the pic looked pitted). We did most everything ourselves (all stainless polishing and the paint/body work). It was a complete frame off and had a lot of help from John McGraw via his tools, knowledge, plating tank, etc. and I have about 15K of parts and materials in the car.

It adds up quick and a lot of it is stuff you don't think about (like $250 in sandpaper for the body work, $100 of laquer thinner for cleaning parts, and $100 is paint stripper).

I think labor if paid for would have added another $20K or so.

I hope you get the car and good luck with the resto - but from a reality check perspective I would count on $20K in parts.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:15 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

ya, know one thing hit me as I keep looking at the pics.. The Coke cans look pretty new to me..
Old 12-12-2010, 04:55 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

1.- Did not have maroon in 58
2.- dash looks like a 270hp tach
3.- left front radiator air intake has a 4 inch plate covering it like all carb cars were,
so I will stay with my 270hp guess for OE engine.
4.- Was there a vin tag on the Driver door jamb? VERY COMMON FOR VIN TAGES TO ME MISSING ON THESE CARS. ONLY HELD WITH 2 PHILLIPS
SCREWS.
5.- NEEDS A BODY OFF RESTORATION, and once you get the paint stripped, you WILL FIND damage to the old body.

I have a widow friend who lost her husband to cancer in 2005, and their black / red 1960 is for sale.

Wishing for 42........was offered 25, as it has been hit and repaired, but overall in far better California rust free condition than this car, and is running, driving, registered condition still on its original black plates. She is still the owner, so my guess this 58 is a 15-17 value car.

Also,what is the intake, carb........engine numbers? I see the lock out shifter which was a 59 and up addition, so my guess is the trans is not original either.

Last edited by jimgessner; 12-12-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:49 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Default Update

So of course I have kept in touch with this lady for all these years now and that car still has not moved. So she called me other night asking me to find a car cover for her Caddy, and I asked her if she wanted for that Vette also? She said she thinks shes ready to sell. I laughed her off and she said we would talk. I called her yesterday and she brought it up again. The roof on the garage is leaking and it's just a matter of time till the roof falls in on the Vette. She does not want to see that happen so she was wondering what I would be willing to pay her for it? So I would like you guys to keep me in check and if I'm not thinking straight let me know. I'm thinking I can go buy a non matching 58 for $50k in real nice shape. So I told her I thought about $10k is my limit because I don't have the time or tools to do the work myself. With that in mind I'm thinking $10k for the car and $40k for parts and labor on a full body off restoration. Then I'm sitting at $50k with a car that I know is solid. Now if I'm not even in the ball park please let me know. I'm also thinking 3-4 yrs. to complete. Thanks for your input and I'm sorry to keep stringing out this story.

On a side note I ran into the guy who offered her $20k and he told me that in fact he did offer her that. With that in mind I told her it will not hurt our friendship at all if she can get $20k out of him because I know there is a C1 out there with my name on it, but I have not found it yet.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Willie'sVette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
So of course I have kept in touch with this lady for all these years now and that car still has not moved. So she called me other night asking me to find a car cover for her Caddy, and I asked her if she wanted for that Vette also? She said she thinks shes ready to sell. I laughed her off and she said we would talk. I called her yesterday and she brought it up again. The roof on the garage is leaking and it's just a matter of time till the roof falls in on the Vette. She does not want to see that happen so she was wondering what I would be willing to pay her for it? So I would like you guys to keep me in check and if I'm not thinking straight let me know. I'm thinking I can go buy a non matching 58 for $50k in real nice shape. So I told her I thought about $10k is my limit because I don't have the time or tools to do the work myself. With that in mind I'm thinking $10k for the car and $40k for parts and labor on a full body off restoration. Then I'm sitting at $50k with a car that I know is solid. Now if I'm not even in the ball park please let me know. I'm also thinking 3-4 yrs. to complete. Thanks for your input and I'm sorry to keep stringing out this story.

On a side note I ran into the guy who offered her $20k and he told me that in fact he did offer her that. With that in mind I told her it will not hurt our friendship at all if she can get $20k out of him because I know there is a C1 out there with my name on it, but I have not found it yet.
Wow.. reading this interesting thread & didn't notice till almost the middle how old it is.

First thing to say, u've been the perfect friend to this lady & have done all the right things & not taken advantage of u'r friendship. I'm sure both of u have enjoyed the drives together taken in u'r vette. Many hats off to u!

I've just spent almost 3-4 full time months looking for my "perfect" vette. See my post here where I've just taken delivery of my '66. I've been told by at least 2 experts, that I could never have restored my car for what I paid for it.

During this search I've been told numerous times... the person who pays for the restoration almost never gets that expense back when selling. If they keep it to drive, they r soon in WAY further into the dollar hole than they ever imagined.

I added emphasis because u've been told this very same thing by guys w/ a hell of a lot of experience. I recommend that u follow their advice. Keep both of u happy by staying friends & help her sell it to a stranger for as much as she can get.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Thank you for the reply. I'm gonna take the advice and pass, but I'm gonna help her sell it if she even does. Saying your going to and doing are 2 diff. things. The one reply keeps sticking in my head about everyone seeing themselves driving down the highway in that car all restored, but the reality is I'm gonna be still dumping money into this 2 years from now and it still will not be finished. I think I will just keep saving and in 2 years I can just buy one that's ready to go.

I will update you guys on whatever happens to the car in the end.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The one reply keeps sticking in my head about everyone seeing themselves driving down the highway in that car all restored, but the reality is I'm gonna be still dumping money into this 2 years from now and it still will not be finished.
You are making the right decision IMO...
Old 09-15-2012, 09:47 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

well I got the call today. She is gonna sell Monday because she is strapped for cash. I'm kinda emotional because i have invested a lot of time and dreaming with her and this car. A year ago we discussed price and I told her 10k was my top dollar. To my surprise the other guy is gonna give her the 20k. I almost feel like I'm missing something valuable about this car. So she wants me to take her for a ride in mine tomorrow. Then she is wanting me to be there when the guy takes it. I dont know about that. Anyway I will post when it's a done deal.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:48 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

well I got the call today. She is gonna sell Monday because she is strapped for cash. I'm kinda emotional because i have invested a lot of time and dreaming with her and this car. A year ago we discussed price and I told her 10k was my top dollar. To my surprise the other guy is gonna give her the 20k. I almost feel like I'm missing something valuable about this car. So she wants me to take her for a ride in mine tomorrow. Then she is wanting me to be there when the guy takes it. I dont know about that. Anyway I will post when it's a done deal.
You lucked out by the other guy buying it. You can tell the whole frame is shot along with just about everything else. And you never did mention one main thing. Does it still have the vin body tag on the door post and if yes, is it to rotten to read. People get caught up in these little old lady cars thinking they are a real find. Maybe some are but this one is total JUNK.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:45 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

I looked at the tach a little closer, as you really don't have a good photo odf the dash. I think the whole cluster is from a 59-62 car, and not a 58. 58's are all by themselves.

If she truely gets $20 for this car, then she should be kissing the buyers ear lobe. I see minium $50000 restoration costs here
Old 09-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I would love to hear the update to this post... did it actually sell... if so, how is the resto coming?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:36 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
I would love to hear the update to this post... did it actually sell... if so, how is the resto coming?
It's not Monday yet, so the car hasn't sold yet, so the restoration hasn't begun, yet
Old 09-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Sorry... didn't realize the date from the OP...
Old 09-16-2012, 07:02 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

I spent a few hours with her today. She found the title and showed it to me so I think shes gonna do it. It sounds like she may stall it out a day or so but it really has gotten to the point where she has to do something. I talked to an old friend of hers today who said he tried to take a lug nut off of it years ago and the thing just fell apart because of the rust. So I thought maybe the guy will get it out, load it up and then try to talk her down some. She told me the money will be in her hand before that car moves. I just can't see his angle on paying so much. Anyway, I will update as soon as I know.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Default Update

Well the car is sold! The guy paid $20k in cash and took her home today. Kind of makes me sad to know I will never get that car, but I feel good for my friend who needed the money. He told he was putting her away for awhile and then would start the restore.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been in the same boat. My dream of owning a 1947 Harley Knucklehead I chased for 20 years. I took it apart in my head and put it back to gether so many times, that today I am pretty darn good at restoring old Harleys. It never came true for me but it did for the mans nephew. Many other dreams came and went over the years. Don't put so much energy into it. The reality is, there are many more that will give you the joy, excitement and passion that you feel now. It isn't over. It's just beginning. Go for it!

Get notified of new replies

To Need a little help on a 1958 price

Old 09-22-2012, 01:26 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Thanks builder, I know your right. I seem to be great at finding these cars and getting in the door, but I seem to be lacking in the "close the deal" department. I have another thread on a 66 I found and it's really nice and original. However, I can't seem to close the deal on that one either. He seems to like my offer but will not pull the trigger. Anyway, thanks for the comment.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:41 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Oh Boy! A project for people with thick hides. Wait when all the bolts are going to sheer off in the dis-assembly, lots of drilling and tapping. All that diecast that has turned to a white powder scares me.

Last edited by wonderful; 07-28-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:09 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

Originally Posted by wonderful
Oh Boy! A project for people with thick hides. Wait when all the bolts are going to sheer off in the dis-assembly, lots of drilling and tapping. All that diecast that has turned to a white powder scares me.
Its been 2 years since the last post...

Quick Reply: Need a little help on a 1958 price