C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Outside Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:19 PM
chuckaroo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outside Mirrors

Hi Guys
I had to replace my driver side mirror on my 66 Coupe because it would not hold it's position once adjusted. I used bowtie repro's. Although I didn't want to I placed a passenger side mirror to aid me when backing up and just general driving safety. Now my problem is I can not adjust the passenger side mirror in far enough to get a narrow reflective angle to see directly behind me. Has anyone had this problem? Is the mirror defective or is the mounting incorrect? I took it to a glass installer to have it placed. Is the set screw (allen) on the top side of the stem or on the bottom of the stem? Could he have the two mirrors reversed and upside down? I checked my Assembly Manual and the drawing shows the screw on the top which doesn't make sense to me as water would lay in there. I also saw a picture where it was on the bottom. This is upsetting as I didn't want to put a mirror on the rt side and now it pretty much useless. Any suggestions??? Thanks He put the set screws on the top.

Last edited by chuckaroo; 07-27-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Forgot some info
Old 07-27-2014, 11:30 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Mine's on top, post a picture of what you have.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 AM
chuckaroo
Instructor

Default Out side mirrors

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Mine's on top, post a picture of what you have.
Thanks for your reply. I'll take a pic tomorrow but I'm new to the Forum and haven't posted any pic. I'll have to see how. Do you think the mirror might be at fault??
Old 07-28-2014, 09:50 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

The set screw goes on the top, not the bottom. And, if you install a right side mirror, it cannot be placed in the same position on the door as the left side mirror is placed. I think it has to be located forward of that position if it is to be of any use to you.
Finally, there have been times while driving when a right side mirror would be a good thing for me to have, but I don't want one on my car. I have managed without it. I'm glad that I have not put one on my car.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 AM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
The set screw goes on the top, not the bottom. And, if you install a right side mirror, it cannot be placed in the same position on the door as the left side mirror is placed. I think it has to be located forward of that position if it is to be of any use to you.
Finally, there have been times while driving when a right side mirror would be a good thing for me to have, but I don't want one on my car. I have managed without it. I'm glad that I have not put one on my car.
Check out some of the small suction cup plastic mirrors that can be stuck on the right side of the windshield (roadster) or even on the vent window. That way you can simply remove when not needed.

For the OP, you might want to replace just the glass on the right side mirror with a convex one. That might at least make the one you installed useful.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I used the same mirror on both sides years ago, and in the same place on the doors so it would look symmetrical and balanced. You have to tilt your head just a touch (side window) to get a clear pic on that side, which becomes second nature after a while.

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 07-28-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 AM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

chuckaroo,

As 65hihp said the placement of the bowtie mirror on the right side has to be positioned slightly to the rear to not only clear the vent swing path but also so you the driver can get a clear picture of the right side.

The mirror I installed has the set screw on the bottom of the stem.

Pics follow:

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:04 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

So, if you use the same mirror the screw would be on top on the driver's side and on the bottom on the passenger side. I'm still not quite sure why it won't adjust so you can see it on the passenger side. Does it not move in all directions around the ball?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:45 PM
chuckaroo
Instructor

Default Out side mirrors

Thanks guys for your pics and comments, they were very helpful. Some of you said the hole is up others the hole is down and one of you said they used them both ways. That made me curious. I went out in the garage and reversed the two mirrors and the holes were down now. Now the passenger side when on with some difficulty but it went on. Now I could adjust the mirror so I could see correctly to the rear. Now I have worked with antique cars long enough to know you should not get too happy too soon. I went to the driver side and placed the mirror, tighten it down but it would not draw tight to the door but wobble around. There may be only a 1/16th " between the mirror base and the door surface. Maybe a gasket would work. For the time being I put them back to original positions and just think about it. BTW can you remove the mounting plate without loosing the nut that is inside the door? Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Okay, it sounds like you don't have two identical mirrors. If you did, whether on the current sides or when you switched sides both screws wouldn't be in the same position. If they were identical, the screw would be down on one side (away from the car) and up on the other (toward the car). Since you haven't posted pictures, I'm going to drop out and let others help with this. Sorry I couldn't help.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 07-28-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Outside Mirrors

Quick Reply: Outside Mirrors