C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rivet Replacement Firewall

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:53 PM
c66vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Rivet Replacement Firewall

I have to replace 2 rivets on each side of the fire wall where the hood latch assembly mounts. Two rivets on each side stick out approx 1/8 inch from the fire wall. I have purchased the rivets from Paragon, but now need to know how to remove the old rivets and how to install the new rivets. The rivets have a round head on them, is there a tool that matches the head of the rivet? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reference photo of rivets in upper right, I have the same problem on the left, but not visible in the photo.
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

The Paragon rivets may be the correct soft aluminum, but otherwise DR REBUILD has them along with some info on riveting (check his catalog).

Most folks use an air hammer with the air pressure turned down low. (I purchased a CP Rivet Gun instead, but these are $$$$). Long Island Corvette Supply (or others) has a rivet setting tool for the air hammer that has a concave end to achieve a "domed" rivet look. Then you need a solid bucking bar or large hammer for the other end of the rivet.

JohnZ and many others have gone through this procedure with pictures.....and this should be in the archives. Probably under "rivets" or "installing rivets" etc.

You can also go on-line (I did) and google riveting to find a list of supply houses for rivet tools, rivets, and "how-to-do" instructions.

You should be able to either cut the head off the old rivet with a Dremel tool or drill it out....just make sure you start drilling "on-center".

Larry

Quick Reply: Rivet Replacement Firewall