C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Power steering/disk brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
he used 2 u-joints; check post #9
Bill
Bill,

How much clearance do you have to the frame (at the same location as shown in cefolar's pictures above)?

I don't remember it being anywhere close like his, and we only used 2 u-joints, and did not need to notch the frame.

John
Old 05-17-2010, 09:16 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Mike, John
i have only 2 u-joints and no center bearing support; i would think it impossible to not use a minimum of 2 u-joints due to the relationship of the steering column and the rack unless the steering column was exactly the right length. IF, in my case' the column was 'the exact right length', then the shaft would have hit the exhaust manifold...

if it wasn't for the brake line, i could easily get a finger between the frame and the shaft.
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 05-17-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:17 PM
zeke5551
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grebs, I'd be interested in some pictures of the Crane PS installation. A lot will depend on the codition of my stock front-end. I would prefer to keep it and add disks and power steering, but I haven't torn everything down yet. I've fought this front end on my last 61 that was worn out beyond realistic repair. We'll see this summer when it all comes apart.
Thanks, Zeke
Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 PM
zeke5551
Intermediate

Grebs, I'd be interested in some pictures of the Crane PS installation. A lot will depend on the codition of my stock front-end. I would prefer to keep it and add disks and power steering, but I haven't torn everything down yet. I've fought this front end on my last 61 that was worn out beyond realistic repair. We'll see this summer when it all comes apart.
Thanks, Zeke
Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by zeke5551
Thanks, Zeke
FWIW...

http://www.cranescorvette.com/corvet...em_1956-62.htm

Bill
Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Bill, that looks like the same pic I saw in reply #9 of the old Martz thread. I can see you obviously don't use the old style front yoke mount, is that your side engine mount I see just above and a bit aft of the lower a-arm bolt? Was the side mount part of the TCI kit or something you added on your own? It looks like your steering shaft passes 'over' that side mount with no interference.
Mike T.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Bill, that looks like the same pic I saw in reply #9 of the old Martz thread. I can see you obviously don't use the old style front yoke mount, is that your side engine mount I see just above and a bit aft of the lower a-arm bolt? Was the side mount part of the TCI kit or something you added on your own? It looks like your steering shaft passes 'over' that side mount with no interference.
Mike T.
Mike
the side motor mounts are probably pretty generic, these were furnished by the guy who put the 'package' together for me. this is a pic of the passenger side because it shows the best view of the mount and the bracket. the bracket was fit and welded into place while the engine was still supported by the front mount.

Bill
Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 PM
cefolar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Plasticman
I don't remember it being anywhere close like his, and we only used 2 u-joints, and did not need to notch the frame.
The notching is probably because of the location of the rack. My rack and fittings are all the way up against the frame mounting pad. I actually had to clearance the mount pad for the power steering lines to fit. I think the Jim Meyer setup moves the rack further forward (by about 2") than the TCI set up.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Bill,

Yes, remember that we used an added stub shaft and connecting collar to lengthen the steering col. and get the correct angle past the exhaust manifold. But it is also possible that using the stub shaft helped clear the frame as well. That was what I was trying to figure out - why Cefolar had to notch his frame.

John
Old 05-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by cefolar
The notching is probably because of the location of the rack. My rack and fittings are all the way up against the frame mounting pad. I actually had to clearance the mount pad for the power steering lines to fit. I think the Jim Meyer setup moves the rack further forward (by about 2") than the TCI set up.
But Bill (wmf62) used the TCI as well. And no need to notch frame (see my post above).

John
Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 AM
cefolar
Instructor

But Bill (wmf62) used the TCI as well. And no need to notch frame (see my post above).
I also have power brakes - so the location of the booster does not allow for the added length from the column. That may be a contributing factor as well. If I would have been able to use a spacer as you've show I may have not needed the notch.

BUT - I am still saying my rack unit it is pinned up against the inside of the frame rail. The ones in the picture above look like they have much more space between the steering line connections and the frame rail than mine does.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Cefolar,

I don't see how the vertical position would help the need for clearance of the steering shaft to the frame. Yes, there was some small clearance (3/16") at the rear tabs of the crossmember that needed to be shimmed / filled.

Bill's has been on the road for a couple of years now, and seems to work pretty well.

My point to fellow forum members (who are interested in the TCI conversion) is that I don't like notching frames, and there are alternatives that you may not of explored before doing it. If you are convinced that was the only way and happy with it, so be it.

Good luck,
Plasticman
Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM
cefolar
Instructor

My point to fellow forum members (who are interested in the TCI conversion) is that I don't like notching frames, and there are alternatives that you may not of explored before doing it. If you are convinced that was the only way and happy with it, so be it.
I hear ya - maybe I wasn't clear, my set-up is the one from Jim Meyers, not from TCI. So my communication to the members is that the Jim Meyers one either requires an intermediate bearing - or notching the frame. I'm not sure if they use a different rack than the TCI one, or their bolt in crossmember locates the rack in a different position than the TCI one.

I had no plans of notching the frame either, nor do I like to do it. But for the Jim Meyers set-up you either need to notch, or use their intermediate joint.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by cefolar
I hear ya - maybe I wasn't clear, my set-up is the one from Jim Meyers, not from TCI. So my communication to the members is that the Jim Meyers one either requires an intermediate bearing - or notching the frame. I'm not sure if they use a different rack than the TCI one, or their bolt in crossmember locates the rack in a different position than the TCI one.

I had no plans of notching the frame either, nor do I like to do it. But for the Jim Meyers set-up you either need to notch, or use their intermediate joint.
Cefolar,

Now I understand.........

Thanks,
John

Quick Reply: C1 Power steering/disk brakes