C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Valp pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Valp
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Valp pics

Here is some pics
Old 05-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Well....what's the story? Dennis
Old 05-15-2010, 10:33 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Well....what's the story? Dennis
Bought it for $2500
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...rame-rust.html
Old 05-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

62Jeff, thanks for linking me up. Man-o-man, what a deal. I guess I had my head under my dash when all this happened. Dennis
Old 05-15-2010, 11:25 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
... I guess I had my head under my dash when all this happened. Dennis
Maybe not. I didn't remember the discussion either until I saw his post earlier today about finally finishing the deal, and then having trouble posting pictures.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:54 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I'll give 5 grand for it as is...that will double your money...

No i remember your post and was wondering what was wrong with it...most of the birdcage parts are available....but...it will take a knowledgable person to do the repairs on the birdcage...

You did get a good price for it...if you decide you cannot afford to fix it ..hang on to it...in due time it will be worth alot more than what you paid for it..

Good luck on your endeavor...

jack
Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Valp
Instructor

I'm getting excited about starting the long road to restoration. I've been a Blue Oval tech and dabbled in body work here and there (albeit metal cars), but I'm gonna try to take on the birdcage rust myself. With all the parts available, help from the Forum, and all the pics posted by Beach Dude on the repair, I feel somewhat confident in it. Besides, if I get stuck I can always take it to a shop. Now, how do I remove the dash.........
Old 05-16-2010, 01:38 PM
oldskydog
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I have some misc. body parts for a 65 conv including the left half of the windshield frame/birdcage if you think you could use them. I also have a repro 65 BB hood (handlaid, not press moulded). I'm in Mesa.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad it happened for you, We always get to hear about the supposed barn finds etc, but very rarely do we get to see the pics later on. After talking to you a couple months ago, I felt you were for real and yes, you got a deal, even if the birdcage is shot, the car is worth well over what you paid in parts alone.

R.J.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:44 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

good luck with your new project.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:52 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Valp
I'm getting excited about starting the long road to restoration. I've been a Blue Oval tech and dabbled in body work here and there (albeit metal cars), but I'm gonna try to take on the birdcage rust myself. With all the parts available, help from the Forum, and all the pics posted by Beach Dude on the repair, I feel somewhat confident in it. Besides, if I get stuck I can always take it to a shop. Now, how do I remove the dash.........
Valp, to remove the dash pull the glove box, then pull the instrument panel, you will need to drop the steering column to do this. pull the center trim panels from under the dash to gain access under the center of the dash. remove the speaker and supports. remove the radio and the heater cables. after all that stuff is out drill out the rivits at the edge of the dash by the door sills. (oh i forgot)-remove the center consul. remove that interior trim piece at the base of the windshield, you will see bolts (3/8s or 7/16 as i rememder) under that trim piece. remove those bolts and the bare dash will lift right out. it is mostly fiberglass and very light with all the above crap removed.... it is not as bad as it sounds, i can pull a dash in about 3 hours and beat flat rate. figure 3 or 4 times that if this is your first dash pull to find all hidden bolts/screws. when pulling the instrument panel slide it out about 4 inches, then unscrew the cables, pull all the plugs and bulb sockets. every plug is different for every gauge so don't worry about that. there are also several cables that screw into the bottom of the instrument panel,vents, rear blower and what not. just unscrew them and them hang.

good luck Valp, pulling the dash is the easy part, repairing bird cage rust is crazy work. fiberglass is insane to work with (be prepared for the itchies..) i have been working with glass since the 60s and i love it, there is nothing you can't do with fiberglass...
Old 05-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Valp
Instructor

Thanks Mechron!
That helps a lot. Seems much easier then I anticipated. I printed out your "instructions", and will be going to work on it soon. I'll post with any concerns

Get notified of new replies

To Valp pics

Quick Reply: Valp pics