C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What do my fellow members use painting the engine block?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:14 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Default What do my fellow members use painting the engine block?

When i get my car home from the painter after they have painted the engine area and undercarriage what should i use painting my engine block?
The engine is in the car and i want take it out for just painting.
I will take off the headers before paint and what other parts i need to but the engine will be painted in the car.

The easyest way for me is to apply the paint using a brush and POR-15 if that works. Any here done this?

Can i use POR-15 for this? Do you get POR-15 in Chevy orange?
If not what is the colour code for the engine paint?

Last edited by TheSaint; 05-17-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:26 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSaint
When i get my car home from the painter after they have painted the engine area and undercarriage what should i use painting my engine block?
The engine is in the car and i want take it out for just painting.
I will take off the headers before paint and what other parts i need to but the engine will be painted in the car.

The easyest way for me is to apply the paint using a brush and POR-15 if that works. Any here done this?

Can i use POR-15 for this? Do you get POR-15 in Chevy orange?
If not what is the colour code for the engine paint?
Glad to hear your car is coming home soon!
A brush would be easier and yes, POR-15 does make a Chevy Orange. I have not used that but others I know have and have liked it. One of the biggest issues is getting the engine clean. More work but you might want to consider taking the water pump off to make things more accessible. I have spray painted engines in the car already but it creates a lot of masking and still difficult in some areas to obtain adequate coverage. Good luck
Old 05-17-2010, 06:31 PM
bonehead2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will be much happier with the results if you remove the engine for painting. Yes much more work but with a new body paint job why skimp now. JMO.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:06 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had great results using Por-15 in chevy orange.

Just brush it on and let it dry. Then touch up any areas you missed.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Chevy Orange!

John F
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

knight37128 Did you have the engine out of the car when you did it?
I suppose i can get some room if i take off the headers.

g5pp I wish i could use i spray can but then i have to lift out the engine.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:49 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Between the extra time and effort involved in cleaning, masking, and painting the installed engine and the time required to pull the engine and paint it, you'll probably come out even as far as the total time spent.

The downside to pulling the engine is that you'll end up with a much nicer result.

You could have painted around the wiper motor, right?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The engine that is in the car now have a lot of hp and i am pleased with it that way.But i dont bother to pull it. I rather wait until i get hold of a correct dated block and heads(365 sph performance)engine.That is a 3782870 block, 461 intake and 461 heads made in December 1963. 901 and 902 exhaust manifolds.

If i scratch the engine area or something when pulling the engine i rather paint it again if that happens,

For now i am pleased just to get some fresh paint on the engine or perhaps it good enough when i go to have a look at it tomorrow.

The engine area,engine and undercarriage was cleaned on wednesday so i suppose its dry now and i exited to se the result.Under cleaning where the paint peeled off on the frame in was looking like brand new metal so that is good.Absolutely no rust at all. Well i knew there was no rust on the frame.

They have to grind of to nuts welded to the frame(old nuts for custom side pipes)i suppose. And then sand the frame and engine area before paint. Sure they need to spray some primer before paint.

And its about time i replace all of the rubber bushings with the polyurithane stuff i have had in my garage for 5 years. I was thinking of doing this before paint but found out that i dont have to mask up the rubber bushings when i change them after paint. I might do some touch up on bolts and stuff instead.

All of the undercarriage will be painted semi black. I will paint the rear diff, leaf spring, spring and axels the correct colour.

Last edited by TheSaint; 05-17-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

1-2-b-67L89. as you say i dont want to spray paint the engine since the engine bay has fresh paint.
It will do getting the engine clean(lot of work i am sure)and use a brush to apply the paint.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pulling engine after a fresh paint job=bad idea. I would just detail it in the car. It sounds like your car is a driver, so nobody is going to see the bottom half of the engine anyway. I would also wait about a month after getting the car back from paint just to make sure that it has cured all of the way
Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 AM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I broke all the rules and painted my new engine (L89 tribute) my body color (Lynndale Blue) and love it. If you're not worried about "rules," consider body color...

Get notified of new replies

To What do my fellow members use painting the engine block?

Quick Reply: What do my fellow members use painting the engine block?