C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dumb question-hardtop conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dumb question-hardtop conversion

I searched the forum but only found reference to an old thread that no longer exists, so sorry for asking what has probably been discussed before.
Is it possible and/or economical to convert a pre-61 hardtop for use on a 61/62? I only ask this question because:
1. 61-2 hardtops are well north of 3k for anything in usable condition.
2. Pre-61 hardtops in equivalent condition seem to run around 1k less.
3. I just saw a 61-2 rear window for $150 buy-it-now on ebay.
4. Center join and rear brackets are $200 total on ebay.
Even if you have to buy new rubber it is about $250 for the rear section so you'd still be at least $400 ahead unless there is more required?
Probably a dumb question, but I had to ask...

DT
Old 05-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I picked up a near perfect hardtop just last month within driving distance for $2,200 for my '61 so they ARE out there. Its not correct body color but being white it goes with anything.

The main problem is the ridge up the trunk/deck lid on '61/'62 cars...you would at least have to swap in the later weatherstrip and rear stainless molding which are some of the more expensive pieces on the top. The earlier tops did not have the indent in the rear to accommodate this ridge and in fact had a third mounting bolt there IIRC.

You have to disassemble a major portion of the top to make this change and can find a ton of 'surprises' along the way.

If you are really considering it you could call Glassworks: www.thehardtopshop.com and ask for details. I called them twice about hardtops and they took pains to give me detailed answers to my questions. You can to www.youtube.com and search for "Corvette hardtop" and Glassworks has a bunch of videos explaining the differences in the various tops

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-06-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

I did it in 1974-75 when pristine hardtops were $350-400, and parts hardtops around $100. I would NEVER do that again. Too many very hard stainless steel rivets. Trim at the side of the window is different length. Bottom trim is very different. Weatherstrip is different. Window is different. Taint worth it. Save some money?---maybe. Increase gray hair and irritability levels? Absolutely!!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frankie, that's a heck of a deal! Every driver quality hardtop I've seen on ebay has been bid well over 3K and I finally quit bidding. I've had a similar problem tryng to find a decent bellhousing for less than $400!
Sounds like the conversion may be more aggravation that the savings is worth. I guess I'll just keep looking for a decent price on a 61/2.

Thanks for the info guys!

DT
Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I got in on my hardtop on April 14th this year...I think folks were tied up with taxes or something because when I got home in the evening and saw what I won the hardtop for I was genuinely shocked. It has all the pieces, plexiglass is perfect, front latches are correct weatherstrip is usable but a little worn..but no big deal at all.

I had seen nothing even decent for less than $3,200 up until I picked mine up.

Get notified of new replies

To Dumb question-hardtop conversion

Quick Reply: Dumb question-hardtop conversion