C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

plexiglas scratches on hardtop rear window

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:43 PM
hotzip
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plexiglas scratches on hardtop rear window

The hardtop rear window in my recent 1960 purchase is cloudy and has fine scratches. Any product or products that I can use to polish out the scratches or just fork out the money and replace the window?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You will get a ton of opinions but I talked to a top restorer and he recommended Janvil products: www.janvil.com. I bought the kit for plastics and did my hardtop rear and side windows....the scratches are gone and the glass literally sparkles now.

I'd give it a shot before replacing the window...that requires major disassembly of the top and the distance between, "I think I can do this myself!" and "what the heck happened?" can be quite short...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-20-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:54 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Meguiar's makes a pair of matched products specifically for plastic windows, and your local airport FBO will have "Novus" products they use for aircraft Plexiglas windows.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:46 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Meguires 2 stage only. Cleaner and then polish. Works on all plastics. Brought many a beat plastic rear window back to life with this stuff. Made my 47yr old gauge lenses look like new!

Their all in one product is junk.Along with most of their other products. My opinion.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I used what I had on hand for mine, Autosol Solvel that I was using on the stainless (worked great), and then Brasso for a final finishing polish. I've been using Brasso for years on plastics with great success, I collect vintage watches and use it on acrylic watch crystals.
I don't doubt that products designed specifically for the job might be quicker or work better, but sometimes you have to make due with what you have.

Paul
Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

it depends on the scratches....if you can't feel them with your finger nail, then a good plastic polish will do. If you feel any of them with your finger nail, then you need to sand them out. Not just any sand paper will do, you need a micromesh sandpaper that gets progressively finer and reaches equivalent of 6000 or 8000 grit. Then you use the polish from there. I had scratches from assembling my hardtop, some that I put in when the screwdriver slipped, this kit took them out.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...cro_mesh?Args=

here is a posting I put up when I did my hardtop. I had bought a kit from Glassworks, but the amount of sandpaper they supply in the kit is kind of small, so I bought a kit from the guys above.

putting my hardtop together and a series of photos showing a scratch being sanded out and polished.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...on-update.html

the scratch at first from the screwdriver slipping

When that happened the "F bombs" flew in the garage, but after I talked with Glassworks and they said, "oh, the screwdriver slipped on the barrel nuts", I got the feeling that this was common but fixable and sure enough sanding with progressively finer micromesh sand paper did the trick! BUT only sand where you can feel a scratch with your finger nail, other wise use just the polish on the fine scratches.

The final product at Cleveland Autorama
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...r-at-show.html

Also another supplier for scratch polish remover is Novus
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=113
Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by hotzip
or just fork out the money and replace the window?
As Frankie said, this is really something you don't want to have to do unless it is really and absolutely last resort.....minimum for a new rear window and seal (you might as well if you are in there) will be $500 to $600 and that is if you dont decide to just go ahead and redo the whole top. On mine I did the whole top. I paid to have the paint done on the top as well as to have someone take the dents out and polish the SS, I did the rest. You can figure that you will be in for a minimum of $2500 and more like $3500 to $4000 when you are done. A new outright purchase of a hardtop from Glassworks will set you back about $5800.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:46 PM
hotzip
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the product suggestions, photos and advice. I'll see what I can find locally from the list. Think I'll practice of a old plexiglas window off my motorcycle to hone my skills. I'll let everyone know how it went.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I can tell you the Janvil product I cited above also includes a heavy scratch remover along with the light scratch remover and customary polish.

Glassworks quoted me $1,000 just to replace my rear weatherstripping because the back of the top has to be disassembled and that's almost a third of their total restoration price so that tells you how big a job it is...
Old 05-21-2010, 05:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I use the Novus products that I purchased from a local industrial plastic supply house. They make three grades...don't use #3. Only use #1 Plastic Clean & Shine(item No. PC-12) and #2 Fine Scratch Remover(item No. PC-22)

Get notified of new replies

To plexiglas scratches on hardtop rear window

Quick Reply: plexiglas scratches on hardtop rear window