C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 Laguna Blue Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:45 PM
brookiez28
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 1966 Laguna Blue Paint

Just a quick note in case anyone out there is thinking of painting or repainting their car the '66 Laguna Blue. As I mentioned in the post below, the PPG code 13188 is the correct color, but in lacquer. If you want a base coat/clear coat equivalent you will need the prophet formula from PPG. Otherwise you may end up using PPG 3760 which is very close to the original Laguna Blue color but an "offset color" that was actually used on mid-80s GM cars. I was sent the prophet code (formula) from a technician at PPG's wholesale group who has about 40 years with PPG. If anyone needs this formula please e-mail me at jbc563@msn.com and I will send you the pdf document. UPDATE: I have attached the paint formula in a PDF doc below.. I had the painter shoot both the 3760 and the prophet formula. The 3760 is a bit more green and definitely has more metallic. I compared both against an original Laguna Blue color chip from an old PPG catalog (yes, the catalog was original and quite old looking) in a Denver paint store and the prophet code is right on. The 3760 is just slightly off and more metallic. Obviously there are other paint brands to use, but if you are considering PPG you may want to make the comparison between code 3760 and the prophet code yourself.

I am repainting my '66 convertible. Original color is Laguna Blue. We gave the paint supply store the original OEM color code (978) and I also researched the OEM code to match PPG and DuPont's codes. The PPG code shows 13188 - Laguna Blue Metallic. I don't know if the old paint on my car was correct. It was a dark blue with a bit of metallic and, supposedly, was repainted the original color. The PPG paint supplied by the paint company shows a code of 3760, not 13188, but they said the 3760 is a match to the OEM code. The new paint color is blue, but also has a hint of green in it, and is a bit of a different blue than what was just stripped off the car. I want to make sure I have the correct factory color before shooting the car. I have nothing to compare the new color to to know for sure. Does anyone know if PPG has updated their code from 13188 to 3760? I cannot find this info on the web. How would I best determine if we have the correct color or not? I have a good sample part painted to look at, but it's not like someone is going to be able to tell if the color is correct unless they are NCRS! Any help would be appreciated. Does anyone know if the original Laguna Blue did have a hint of green in it?
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Laguna Blue prophet code.pdf (136.3 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by brookiez28; 03-22-2022 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-23-2010, 02:53 PM
65Corvette
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

My recollection is that laguna blue did indeed have a hint of green in it.
Perhaps others with '66 laguna blue cars will chime in.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justin, I had a 66 laguna Blue back in 69 etc. In fact I have a picture of it right here.
There was no 'hint' of green that I recall nor see on the picture.
I also do not recall any metallic in the paint. Bill.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I would probably first call PPG Technical Service and talk with one of their reps regarding the color. Issues are both shade and size of metallic flake.

Are you painting lacquer, enamel, urethane, clear coat / base coat?? This may affect the numbers/codes.

I would also paint a test panel and see how it looks to you (and others) in the light. That is also important. There are not too many cars still out there with original factory applied color to compare it against.....but if it looks good to you and is a close match to what you remember, go with it.

Larry
Old 05-23-2010, 04:29 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I never owned a Laguna Blue but I remember them well from 1966, and IMO there was certainly a greenish tint to the color. In early 1966 I had a Nassau Blue '65 and a fella I was associated with bought a '66 Laguna Blue. The cars were often parked side x side and the greenish tint of the '66 was right there to see when looking at the two cars.

To this day Laguna Blue remains my 2nd favorite color of any factory Corvette paint, 1972 Silver Pewter being #1.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:29 PM
brookiez28
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Laguna Blue

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I found a paint store open today and they had an original color chip in their book. The color does, in fact, have a slight green cast to it. The paint sample I was given is an extremely close match. I'lll check w/ PPG tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

good luck, that is a phenomenal color
Old 05-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Gimme1MoreC1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Justin, like the others, I agree it does have a greenish hue, at times. Natural sunlight, overcast skies, fluorescent lighting all have different effects. I dug through some pictures of mine, and the top one is from a few years ago, but shows off a little of that "green" to it. Also, I remember reading somewhere that dealers were to refer to the color as "Teal" when describing it. Come on, L.B. owners, post your car. The second image is recent, and you can see a little change on the right front corner, where light hits it. Good luck with your project and keep us up to date, with pictures. Joe

Old 05-24-2010, 10:24 AM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My ’66 Laguna is about to be painted but my guy is using Spies Hecker paints. He had painted the rear panel when I added side exhaust and the color was absolutely stunning. It definitely had a greenish tint if the light hit it right. My old color was not original and was in bad shape so I can’t compare. Laguna is a gorgeous color and I can’t wait to get mine don. Good luck with your project...you will love it.

Joe
Old 05-24-2010, 11:22 AM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Joe's66
My ’66 Laguna is about to be painted but my guy is using Spies Hecker paints. He had painted the rear panel when I added side exhaust and the color was absolutely stunning. It definitely had a greenish tint if the light hit it right. My old color was not original and was in bad shape so I can’t compare. Laguna is a gorgeous color and I can’t wait to get mine don. Good luck with your project...you will love it.

Joe
Joe how about some pictures when it's finished. I have a 66 coupe Laguna Blue / Dark Blue that I'm thinking of getting painted soon. I thought I would go with either Laguna again or Trophy Blue for a change.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

You can count on it!! I’ll post some pics so you all can see a naked car with it’s frame and suspension wrapped in plastic. Hope to talk to the painter this week to see when he can take me.

Joe
Old 05-24-2010, 10:30 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Joe, then we'll see you at Tower Shops!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:01 AM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikem350
Joe, then we'll see you at Tower Shops!!!
Count on that too!!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:42 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I like that colour. It looks good

My car is red but it is original Daytona Blue. If i am going to repaint the car some time i will have a hard time to choose if i will keep the red colour or go for original Daytona Blue.
A couple of years ago i did not like Daytona blue at all but know i really like it.

Last edited by TheSaint; 06-12-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:28 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe's66
Count on that too!!
Joe, drop me a PM and let me know when you are going to the Tower Shops, I would love to see your car.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 PM
bouthie
Heel & Toe

Default laguna blue

i have a stock 66 and have had trouble finding paint for some touch up i once had a spray patch from PPG and the color was wayyy off. To my understanding 66 paint was Dupont and we all know they don't produce lacqua any more.Going to touch base with bookiez28.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 AM
JBL Specialty
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I looked up the formula in glasurit.there is no green in it. glasurit makes their formulas form a standard original paint chip,not some scaned color.jbl
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

My Laguna blue 66 BB deffinately has a green hue "look" to it when the sun hits it, looks black to some when cloudy also....! Totally different than my 64 Daytona blue....
Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 PM
bouthie
Heel & Toe

Default Laguna blue

here is the info i came up with. My 66 is stock laguna blue-- 1st there is a hint of green depends how the sun is hitting car and as you walk around the car the colors change with the contours of the body.
2nd--- the stock paint by factory was Dupont Lacquer 978 also know as 4710L or 181-97844 can't find out what the last two #'s represent?
3rd----i know that PPG # 13188 isn't even close,i had a spray chip sent for some touch up.
4th--- If you Google paintref.com) and follow instructions you can get lots of info, when you click on pics there is a 66 on Pat Smiths (phs collector car world) that,if you look close at the *** end shot you can see the hint of green, look around the gas cap lid.
5Th the car at the beginning of forum is right on,but doesn't show the hint of green.
6th i have to learn how to post pics of my ride, bought her in 69, i am 2nd owner, car is loaded and the only thing not stock is the rubber. car came with option hub caps with spinners, i understand this is rare, most you see are with knock offs and most of these are after-market Good luck to all you restorers, (Laguna Blue beautiful and rare)

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 Laguna Blue Paint

Quick Reply: 1966 Laguna Blue Paint