C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1964 convert rear wheel squeak

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:17 PM
dkjfdx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1964 convert rear wheel squeak

I've started to notice a squeak coming out of my rear driver's side wheel/axle area. It's a rhythmic sound when I'm driving the first mile or so, then it goes away.

If I push in on clutch (take power off the train), it stops until I let out the clutch again. It's hard to diagnose, since I'm driving at the time.

To eliminate the tire and wheel possibility, I rotated the wheels - sound still coming from driver's rear. That leaves the rear wheel bearing or u-joints.

I'm thinking of buying new U-joints and replacing to see if it is there.

But does anyone have any ideas how to diagnose first without replacing U-joints?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:55 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by dkjfdx

But does anyone have any ideas how to diagnose first without replacing U-joints?
Pull the half shaft out and move the u-joint cups with your hands. If they feel like they rotate like they're still good and greasy, they okay. Then, grab the top of the tire and try to move it in/out more than a tiny bit and/or spin the wheel and listen for noise.

If the wheel goes in/out more than a little (how much is that?) or you hear a grinding noise when you spin the wheel, you've likely found your problem.

If you don't find anything in the half shafts or bearings, go to the driveshaft next and check those u-joints.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Look at each U-joint first before you take them apart. If you see reddish brown dust around them, you NEED u-joints, as this is a sign of them being dry and rusting. Dennis
PS, check you lug nuts. Don't ask me how I know about this, 'cause it's embarrising. Dennis
Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Could it be from pushing the accelerator pedal too hard?

Must have bald tyres by now.

-- Joe
Old 06-07-2010, 07:17 AM
dkjfdx
Advanced

OK, before I'm reading the shop manual to pull the half shaft out. I haven't done this before, but this is what it looks like I have to do.

Disconnect the inboard u-brackets from that u-joint and then unbolt the outboard u-joint and slip the shaft inboard off the splines of the spindle.

Apparently there is a cotter pin, spindle nut and washer that I need to remove after I pull out the half shaft - I can't see them right now. Then I can pull out the spindle, check it and grease/replace as req'd. I'll also check both sets of u-joints as mentioned above.

Is that it?

Reason I'm asking is that the manual discusses marking camber cam and bolt in relation to bracket. I'm not sure why I need to do that.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

OK, before I'm reading the shop manual to pull the half shaft out. I haven't done this before, but this is what it looks like I have to do.

Disconnect the inboard u-brackets from that u-joint and then unbolt the outboard u-joint and slip the shaft inboard off the splines of the spindle.

Apparently there is a cotter pin, spindle nut and washer that I need to remove after I pull out the half shaft - I can't see them right now. Then I can pull out the spindle, check it and grease/replace as req'd. I'll also check both sets of u-joints as mentioned above.

Is that it?

Reason I'm asking is that the manual discusses marking camber cam and bolt in relation to bracket. I'm not sure why I need to do that.
It's usually necessary to rotate the cam bolt so the strut rod pushes the trailing arm fully outboard to provide clearance to remove the half-shaft so you can inspect the U-joints. Remove the U-bolts from the yokes at the inboard end, and remove the four bolts that attach the outboard flange to the spindle flange. Leave the spindle alone.

Unless you've done all of this before and have all of the special tools required, you DON'T want to remove the spindle nut and try to remove the spindle; you'll be way over your head - leave that to a shop with the tools and expertise to do it right.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 AM
dkjfdx
Advanced

So, if I wanted to pack and grease the spidle bearing surfaces, I should have someone with the tools do it? Or is there a grease fitting somewhere I can access?
Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 AM
AOS_L79
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

My rear driver's side squeak turned out to be the wheel bearing. If they've never been repacked, you've got 46 year old grease in there. Don't drive it much until you're certain because you can wreck the spindle if the bearings fail completely.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

So, if I wanted to pack and grease the spidle bearing surfaces, I should have someone with the tools do it? Or is there a grease fitting somewhere I can access?
You should have someone do it if it needs doing. Most folks use Van Steel or Bair's, both very good. If they need greasing, they probably also need new bearings. In any event, they have to be pressed apart, greased, and pressed back together with the proper clearances in order to do the job properly, not an easy task.

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 convert rear wheel squeak

Quick Reply: 1964 convert rear wheel squeak