C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Exhaust Manifold Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:45 AM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C1 Exhaust Manifold Questions

I apologize for what has surely been asked before, but I had no luck with the search engine.

Other than the obvious collector size difference, are 2 1/2 inch mid-year manifolds a direct swap dimensionally for the 2 inch C1 manifolds?

Will stock rams horns work with angle plug heads?

And lastly, is anyone using angle plug heads with Tru-Rams on a C1? If so, are there any clearance issues?

Thanks for your help!

DT
Old 06-05-2010, 08:25 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

You'll have to watch for mounting holes for expansion tank, generator, etc.

For example, the left exhaust manifold on my 62 has 2 holes in it to mount the expansion tank mounting bracket, but the left bracket on my 65 has mounting holes in a different location for an alternator (it's a factory A/C car).

So if your car is still running an expansion tank and generator, just be aware that whether or not the manifold will bolt up to the heads is only part of the equation.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:07 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
You'll have to watch for mounting holes for expansion tank, generator, etc.

For example, the left exhaust manifold on my 62 has 2 holes in it to mount the expansion tank mounting bracket, but the left bracket on my 65 has mounting holes in a different location for an alternator (it's a factory A/C car).

So if your car is still running an expansion tank and generator, just be aware that whether or not the manifold will bolt up to the heads is only part of the equation.
Thanks Jeff,

I have an alternator, which is one of the reasons for making the switch (besides the larger collector). If I go to aftermarket heads with accessory holes I'd be using the later manifolds with no mounting holes or the Tru-Rams.

DT
Old 06-05-2010, 05:35 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Ram Horn manifolds are a 100% direct bolt-on fit with ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL first generation style SB heads (factory or aftermarket).
There are ZERO interference or other issues when using 2 1/2in Ram Horn manifolds on ANY Corvette from 55 to 82.
On 55-62 Vettes, you basically have two options for the FRONT pipe. You can either use the 62 pipes for 300-340-360hp engines, or, you can have your local muffler shop fabricate a set of 2 1/2in pipes.
It is my opinion that it is a waste and rediculous to use the 62 style front pipe because it is only 2 1/2in for the first 2-3 inches, then it immediately reduces down to 2in for the remainder of the pipe. DUH!
I have a FULL 2 1/2in system on the 56 with no issues.

I did have 61-62 style tail pipes made because the 2 1/2in pipe won't go through the stock 56-57 exhaust bezels.

Tom Parsons

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Exhaust Manifold Questions

Quick Reply: C1 Exhaust Manifold Questions