C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'63 SWC fulie barn find

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default '63 SWC fulie barn find

Maybe this has been posted in the past by someone on the forum but I see the last comment on the following page was made by the Editor of Motortrend Classic just a few weeks ago:

http://www.classicnation.com/2009/02...-split-window/

Read the comments that people wrote. Some of them are hilarious. I particularly like the two where the posters are going to get one like it and take it to Chip Foose. It's also quite sad if the story is true that the owner refuses to sell it because it belonged to his son who never came home from Viet Nam.

Take care,
-- Steve

Last edited by RatDog; 07-01-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:54 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
It's also quite sad if the story is true that the owner refuses to sell it because it belonged to his son who never came home from Viet Nam.
That is one of the worlds oldest Corvette fables. Only the one about the guy who answered the ad in the local paper for a 53 Chevrolet and ended up buying a 53 Corvette from the original owners widow for $250 has been around longer.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:00 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

The top two photos of this '63 have been published for years. I think that I may have used it as my avatar a few years back ...

Ray
Old 07-02-2010, 07:46 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

That must be the cousin to my car.

Much better now though.

Rich
Attached Images       
Old 07-02-2010, 08:00 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I heard a rumor about 15 years ago about a swc fuelie that was sitting in a garage pretty far from me so I didn't really do any more investigation then. But last year a friend of mine who's also a Corvette guy came around and started to talk about the same fuelie and he mentioned that he knows the owner and the car is just sitting and gathering dust. I asked him in what condition the car is and he didn't know but he said he'd find out.

It turned out that the car was restored in the States back in the 80's and the gentleman had bought it right after it was finished and he had it shipped to Finland and parked in his garage where it had been used as a garage work bench and it was covered with crap...

I persuaded my friend to ask if the owner might be willing to lend the car to our Corvette club's booth in a big car show and the owner said sure. I promised to take good care of it, give it a good was and have it detailed it for him.

When we went to pick the car up it really was buried under piles of stuff and it took us two hours just to get crap of, not wanting to make any damage to it. Once we rolled it out it turned out to be in real good condition and very presentable for the show. The owner was really surprised to see that we came with a trailer. He asked that why don't you just drive it? A fully restored 1963 all numbers matching fuelie that has been sitting still for the past 20 some years... I didn't want to be the one to destroy it, thank you very much.

We got it on the trailer and stopped at the nearest gas station to get air in the tires.

Even as dirty as it was it looked really good. I was feeling proud just to be able to give it a good was and get it shine again.

After the weekend at the car show we took the car back to the owners garage where we rolled it back to the same spot where we'd picked it up few days earlier. I could just see how it would slowly start gathering dust and stuff would start piling on it again. The owner was really pleased to see it shiny again, but had no intention to start driving it...

So not really a barn find, but maybe a future garage find in progress?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:12 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
That must be the cousin to my car.

Much better now though.

Rich
Wow, very similar. Except you didn't get those very rare "optional" triple tailights

Yours looks VERY nice now

Take care,
-- Steve
Old 07-02-2010, 08:56 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

The " could have bought " corvette / hemi car stories have been the dreams of many gear heads and after repeated accounts some acrually believe them. The computer has influenced so many people by way of values, parts availability,and general knowledge one must be a pastor to convince one of his followers a car is low valued so it can be bought for a very reasonable price.
Dreamers will still be dreamers. The latest stories involve 250k homes being bought for 10k due to forclosures. I'm sure they don't realize someone is holding the " paper " on these homes and they will be first in line to rebargain the bargain.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 AM
63 corvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by groovyjay
I heard a rumor about 15 years ago about a swc fuelie that was sitting in a garage pretty far from me so I didn't really do any more investigation then. But last year a friend of mine who's also a Corvette guy came around and started to talk about the same fuelie and he mentioned that he knows the owner and the car is just sitting and gathering dust. I asked him in what condition the car is and he didn't know but he said he'd find out.

It turned out that the car was restored in the States back in the 80's and the gentleman had bought it right after it was finished and he had it shipped to Finland and parked in his garage where it had been used as a garage work bench and it was covered with crap...

I persuaded my friend to ask if the owner might be willing to lend the car to our Corvette club's booth in a big car show and the owner said sure. I promised to take good care of it, give it a good was and have it detailed it for him.

When we went to pick the car up it really was buried under piles of stuff and it took us two hours just to get crap of, not wanting to make any damage to it. Once we rolled it out it turned out to be in real good condition and very presentable for the show. The owner was really surprised to see that we came with a trailer. He asked that why don't you just drive it? A fully restored 1963 all numbers matching fuelie that has been sitting still for the past 20 some years... I didn't want to be the one to destroy it, thank you very much.

We got it on the trailer and stopped at the nearest gas station to get air in the tires.

Even as dirty as it was it looked really good. I was feeling proud just to be able to give it a good was and get it shine again.

After the weekend at the car show we took the car back to the owners garage where we rolled it back to the same spot where we'd picked it up few days earlier. I could just see how it would slowly start gathering dust and stuff would start piling on it again. The owner was really pleased to see it shiny again, but had no intention to start driving it...

So not really a barn find, but maybe a future garage find in progress?
Great story and photos. Thanks Bob

Get notified of new replies

To '63 SWC fulie barn find

Quick Reply: '63 SWC fulie barn find