C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hooker Sidemount Headers & Sidepipes Installation Complete

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Default Hooker Sidemount Headers & Sidepipes Installation Complete

After an extensive wrestling match between me and the Hooker SuperComp Sidemount Headers & Sidepipes (see my post for the problems and product quality issues with these parts: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...t-quality.html ), I have finally managed to get the system installed on the car, eliminate interference using a Port-A-Power, floor anchors, a chain fall, and 2 hydraulic rams, fabricate custom sidepipe standoffs to get the pipes parallel to the frame, bend the collectors to equalize the height from left to right sides, cut my rocker panel moldings, and polish them out along with a little painting. Here are some shots of the process and the end results:

Here are the headers mounted to the engine after being “tweaked” a bit. I installed and removed the headers 5 times to get the fit right and to eliminate several points of chassis and steering interference:

The sidepipe mounting hardware supplied was junk and did not allow alignment of the sidepipes, so I fabricated all new mounting hardware including thick, ¼” stainless threaded frame inserts and adjustable stainless mounting studs to interface with the supplied rubber cushion mounts. This allowed me to align and make the pipes run level and parallel to the frame rails:

I was lucky to be working on this with the body off the chassis – I can’t imagine doing this amount of work from the bottom of a complete car:

With the system mounted to the chassis, I then lowered the body back on the car – pipes and headers now look and fit well, but still needed final tweaking and alignment using the fabricated adjustable sidepipe mounts:

2 more days of cutting, tweaking, and polishing produced the finished result:

Sidepipes installed with modified rocker molding – molding was sanded and polished on the top surfaces, and given a satin black epoxy coating below the polished surfaces. This accented the polished pipes nicely:

Lars
Old 07-05-2010, 10:07 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

very nice!!!!! i love the sidepipes!!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Looks good Lars. I FINALLY got the driver's side pipe free and off of the header on my car today. Got my STS baffles in the pipes. Now to get them mounted. I did notice that my pipes kick up in the back, so they will need to be pulled down during mounting. Hopefully I don't need all the tugging that you apparently needed to do...
Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 AM
1Sweet66
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking great!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 AM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sweet!! Have you fired it up yet? Sound must be awesome… I think my car had hooker-type sipepipes in its past (I saw evidence of the mounts on the frame). Yours look beautiful.

Joe
Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice. What baffles are you running?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I can't believe how much trouble you had with these very expensive pipes. I had the same setup in the 80's and they fit first shot and perfectly. I sure hope someone from Hooker is tuning in on this thread. I wonder if they too have moved their production off shore, and this is the result. No one should have to do this amount of work on a "custom fit" finished product. Good for you though, I think most would have just sent them back.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Lars, car looks great, I had them on my 63. Only thing is you have to remember to lift your leg or you will burn the ship out of it getting out of the car. I learned after the 5th time but passengers get something to remember the ride by. Looks awersome
Old 07-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Lars, car looks great, I had them on my 63. Only thing is you have to remember to lift your leg or you will burn the ship out of it getting out of the car. I learned after the 5th time but passengers get something to remember the ride by. Looks awersome
That's why I went to an under car design. I got tired of girls yelling at me with burnt stockings and legs, and man that is one bad burn, the nylon melts right into the wound. And....I got tired of breathing carbon monoxide sitting in traffic, ughh,cough,cough......One good thing is you don't have to worry about a stereo system, or being a good conversationalist....!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you bolting the slip joint down? I tried running without it and of course it leaked at the joint. It's real hard to get a bolt in there, though, with the body on, and since the car came this way, I don't have the bolts. What type are they so I can get them? I have easy access to a bolt store.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrodokk
Are you bolting the slip joint down? I tried running without it and of course it leaked at the joint. It's real hard to get a bolt in there, though, with the body on, and since the car came this way, I don't have the bolts. What type are they so I can get them? I have easy access to a bolt store.
I used allen head cap screws. Due to space restrictions it is virtually impossible to get a wrench on the supplied hex bolt.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:10 PM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice, Lars. They're my favorite looking side pipes for C2.

larry
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Nicely done.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:39 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe's66
Sweet!! Have you fired it up yet? Sound must be awesome.Joe
I've run the engine first on my own run stand, then on the engine dyno to get the tuning right and the "real" numbers down. I've then started it up again mounted in the chassis with the headers and sidepipes installed - with the 4-7 firing order swap, the car sounds like a full-blown NASCAR.

Originally Posted by Lee H
Very nice. What baffles are you running?
I installed the STS Baffles and drilled a 1/2" hole in the front caps. Sounds very good, and I won't need to worry about upgrading the sound system.

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Lars, car looks great, I had them on my 63. Only thing is you have to remember to lift your leg or you will burn the ship out of it getting out of the car.
I've worked around enough sidepipe cars on the Tuning for Beer Tours that I'm pretty good with staying aways from the pipes. But passengers are another matter. For this reason, I'll be installing the polished stainless covers that the Cobra guys are using on their cars - they look pretty good.

Originally Posted by Astrodokk
Are you bolting the slip joint down? What type are they so I can get them? I have easy access to a bolt store.
I threw away the junk mismatched bolts provided by Hooker and installed stainless steel socket head cap screws. I lubricated the slip joints with oxygen sensor high temp anti-seize lube before I slid the pipes on, and then snugged the clamping bolt just enough to keep the pipes from moving. I did have to notch both rockers to clear the bolt heads, even with the small socket head bolts.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 07-06-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:37 PM
ClaesBruhn
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side pipes and rocker moldings

I am curious about your rocker moldings. Did you use the regular moldings or the narrower ones for use with the original style side pipes? How much did you have to cut them? It would be great if you had a couple of detail pictures to show. I am about to do the same thing on my 67.

Originally Posted by lars
After an extensive wrestling match between me and the Hooker SuperComp Sidemount Headers & Sidepipes (see my post for the problems and product quality issues with these parts: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...t-quality.html ), I have finally managed to get the system installed on the car, eliminate interference using a Port-A-Power, floor anchors, a chain fall, and 2 hydraulic rams, fabricate custom sidepipe standoffs to get the pipes parallel to the frame, bend the collectors to equalize the height from left to right sides, cut my rocker panel moldings, and polish them out along with a little painting. Here are some shots of the process and the end results:

Here are the headers mounted to the engine after being “tweaked” a bit. I installed and removed the headers 5 times to get the fit right and to eliminate several points of chassis and steering interference:

The sidepipe mounting hardware supplied was junk and did not allow alignment of the sidepipes, so I fabricated all new mounting hardware including thick, ¼” stainless threaded frame inserts and adjustable stainless mounting studs to interface with the supplied rubber cushion mounts. This allowed me to align and make the pipes run level and parallel to the frame rails:

I was lucky to be working on this with the body off the chassis – I can’t imagine doing this amount of work from the bottom of a complete car:

With the system mounted to the chassis, I then lowered the body back on the car – pipes and headers now look and fit well, but still needed final tweaking and alignment using the fabricated adjustable sidepipe mounts:

2 more days of cutting, tweaking, and polishing produced the finished result:

Sidepipes installed with modified rocker molding – molding was sanded and polished on the top surfaces, and given a satin black epoxy coating below the polished surfaces. This accented the polished pipes nicely:

Lars
The following users liked this post:
vjjack04 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 PM
partsman912
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
I can't believe how much trouble you had with these very expensive pipes. I had the same setup in the 80's and they fit first shot and perfectly. I sure hope someone from Hooker is tuning in on this thread. I wonder if they too have moved their production off shore, and this is the result. No one should have to do this amount of work on a "custom fit" finished product. Good for you though, I think most would have just sent them back.

I agree , my Hooker pipes were manufactured in 1975 ( NOS still in box ) and I didn't install them until 2012 . I remember being surprised how perfect they fit on the first try .
Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by partsman912
I agree , my Hooker pipes were manufactured in 1975 ( NOS still in box ) and I didn't install them until 2012 . I remember being surprised how perfect they fit on the first try .

I installed a set on a 73 I had and they were easy install. The chrome turned blue where they came out of the engine compartment visible from the outside of the car. I hope they don't for you. They look nice on a dark colored car.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:10 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Gorgeous

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker Sidemount Headers & Sidepipes Installation Complete

Quick Reply: Hooker Sidemount Headers & Sidepipes Installation Complete