C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Steeroids installation with many photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Speed Direct
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

I just updated that last post in the installation. It seems that the video link stopped working for some reason.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the recommended thing to do with the steering column VIN tag? Does changing out the column and reattaching the VIN plate affect value?
Old 04-06-2014, 08:49 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Utahcarguy
What is the recommended thing to do with the steering column VIN tag? Does changing out the column and reattaching the VIN plate affect value?
yes and no...

yes if a purist is interested in the car and wants the original steering system, no if an interested person wants a better, tighter, more responsive steering system.
Bill
Old 05-06-2014, 12:40 PM
McGivern
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Handling issue

Trying to revive this old thread based on a few on the comments/concerns.

I installed the power R/P and have been fighting with a good setup. In order to get 3-4 deg of caster I had to stack (4) shims between the frame and front end. This created a serious issue with front end geometry and apparently I am beyond the adjustment window on the tie rods. My toe is all over the place- goes from positive to negative from unloaded to me to me+passenger.

I think the issue is that the R/P is mounted to the frame instead of the front suspension. The dilemma is that there is no way for me (on my car) to get more than 2 deg of caster with only one or two shims- I did udjust the upper arms aft as far as possible...

Looking to see if any of the experts has any ideas. I have emailed Speeddirect to ask for help as well. I've already missed one trip due to this thing, so if I can't find a solution this setup will be for sale and Jim Meyer to the rescue...

Any input appreciated- Mark
Old 02-01-2019, 06:52 AM
jasonv
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default installing steeroids with power steering and also front disk brakes conversion kit.

I am installing steeroids with power steering and also front disk brakes conversion kit on my 1959 corvette. My question is which should i do first or does it make a difference?
Old 02-01-2019, 07:44 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

The disc brake kit includes roller bearings, so it would probably be best to have those installed before driving it with R&P. But if you’re installing both at the same time, I don’t think it matters which you do first. When I did mine I installed the brakes first, then drove it for a couple of months before installing Steeroids.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:47 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
i had that problem when i first installed my R&P IFS, it was SCARY....

they now make valves and flow adapters to 'dumb-down' the GM power steering pump to make the steering heavier feeling and therefore give it more road feel.

makes the steering feel less sensitive to change even though it doesn't affect the ratio; just have to put more effort into the change.
Bill
Bill,

I installed a Steeroids R & P Power Steering system in my '66 and used this pressure control valve in the pump - works great - no "twitchiness" in my steering!

https://www.detroitspeed.com/power-s...l-valve-091401

Tom

Quick Reply: C1 Steeroids installation with many photos