C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The car is packed 48 states await

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Jackwagon mambi pambi

Originally Posted by capevettes
Jack, I'm driving on Cape Cod . The roads are clear and dry. Too cold to melt. My only concession is the top stays on until it gets to at least to 40 degrees
I know , just too cold for you. Or have you never put the top down, which is not unheard of by some who are afraid of wrinkles. But great to hear that you are driving.

I still need a glass shop that can replace my windshield this spring when it is warmer.

None here in Maine so far.

Or I will come down to Mass for a few days and try to do it with help of someone who has done it before.

I would bring Lobster as an enticement.

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 02-13-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default You never know

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
Just like bikes in China Stewy
One day you may wake up and I will be in your driveway, you do have driveways? If not , I good beer will do

Jack
Old 02-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Which car?

Originally Posted by capevettes
Jack, I'm driving on Cape Cod . The roads are clear and dry. Too cold to melt. My only concession is the top stays on until it gets to at least to 40 degrees
which car are you driving, (one of the guys with many cars)

Jack
Old 02-13-2011, 04:16 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I'll check around for a good glass guy. Don't have one off the top of my head. Jumbo lobster rolls just up the street that would rival Maine's best

My soft top is sitting upstairs in the barn. I only use the hardtop. Between April and November the car never has a roof on.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:16 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jackfit
which car are you driving, (one of the guys with many cars)

Jack
All of them the last 4 days.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:32 AM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it was intersting yesterday to her a nice rumble out side in the door yard and a knock at the door and behold it was NO TOP JACK LOL. Its about 2 degrees and Jack has his top down and said he was on a 100 mile tour for the day HMMM

All though he did ask if I wanted a ride!! I passed as last years ride in the middle of the winter still makes me shivver when I think about it.

Thanks Jack for stopping by.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:03 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice to see a great car in the snow
If you did not replace the trim clips when you painted your car i would replace them now when you need to have the windshield out.

I used Paragon clips(was told to use them here on the forum)on my car and there is also special flat head screws for those clips.Also the 2 upper corner clips
Old 02-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Winter ride Portsmouth NH So. Freeport ME

It is snowing today but yesterday (Sun) it was sunny cool and dry roads.

Started as a little trip and wound up being over 3 hours and almost 200 miles.

I drove up to So. Freeport, ME (yes there is water near Freeport (LL Bean) and stopped by the town dock. In summer it is filled with people, lobster boats and a a great fish fry .

It was so nice I then drove to Portsmouth, NH about 80 miles down the Maine Trpk. stopped for a cup of coffee near the town square.

As I was leaving I made a wrong turn and ( horror to some of you but not me) , I was at the docks with a load of sand and salt being unloaded.

[IMG]http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/jackfit87/winter%20Portmouth%20and%20So%20freeport/WinterPortsmouthNHFreeportME016.jpg[/IMG

Back on road and had a great day, Drive your car!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:54 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice trip. Pretty town.

I was going for a cruise Sunday and my darn battery (faily new) was dead. Got to do it this week as I am headed to Florida soon.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:52 AM
maloney
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

i am currently in Afghanistan, reading about your adventure makes me look forward to getting home and Driving my 59 Corvette.

I did buy a 1970 beetle convertible in Alabama, where I am based out of and driving it back to Massachusetts when i return, but not nearly as cool as your trip.

Thanks for the insperation.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by maloney
i am currently in Afghanistan, reading about your adventure makes me look forward to getting home and Driving my 59 Corvette.

I did buy a 1970 beetle convertible in Alabama, where I am based out of and driving it back to Massachusetts when i return, but not nearly as cool as your trip.

Thanks for the insperation.
Glad you enjoyed the post. Take care and be safe. Your car is waiting for you to get home..... along with loved ones

When home , come up to Maine and visit. You are always welcome

Jack
Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Have a good time

Originally Posted by Olustee bus
Nice trip. Pretty town.

I was going for a cruise Sunday and my darn battery (faily new) was dead. Got to do it this week as I am headed to Florida soon.
Hi you all, took a while to warm up my hands, with only a little fire to keep warm up here . I go for a ride to warm up.

I hope to see you this summer, when it is too hot in the south.

Post pictures of warm beaches, sand, you do go to the beach? Well then again, knowing how tan you are, you may not want to go to the beach.

Jack
Old 02-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Jack, I think if you found it necessary to mount a snow plow on the '66 you would do it so you could take a ride...you have got courage! Meanwhile here, the snow has melted and the rain is starting. Glad to know you are doing well and enjoying meaningful things in life. Reference an old note, the garage is going to get done this spring/summer. By doing so it will be comparable to my cookware.Dennis
Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default It better be done

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Jack, I think if you found it necessary to mount a snow plow on the '66 you would do it so you could take a ride...you have got courage! Meanwhile here, the snow has melted and the rain is starting. Glad to know you are doing well and enjoying meaningful things in life. Reference an old note, the garage is going to get done this spring/summer. By doing so it will be comparable to my cookware.Dennis
I expect it to be done, I was nice to you about it because you hosted me on the trip, but to put my car in such surroundings , was almost too much. Thank god your kitchen was better

I also want to park first , you can have your car with it's tail exposed.

Now having enjoyed making fun, how are you and the beauty you have taking care of you.

I have invited you to Maine, but I wonder, can you really drive your fire breathing dragon , will its so quiet sound 500 miles? Snowed up here again today, not much driving for a while.

I have to stop driving and start to work on the car for this spring. I may even go to a big convention or show. Or maybe a regional reunion for the likes of you and others who I was not able to meet first time around.

Maybe you can help me with my wings, I will PM you later

Cheers

Jack
Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks Jack, hope some of us can hit a few states to enjoy our cars and country.
Best of luck on that next trip, Mike
Old 03-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Rando1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow!!! i was always afraid to take the car to far,not because it wasnt worthy,just because i would worry about it getting stollen or wrecked,all my friends took theres from new jersey to cali and had a blast except for one that wiped out the side of his coupe,maybe that was enough to keep me from going....good luck!!!! im in jersey if you need tools or anything!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default It is called insurance

Originally Posted by Rando1
wow!!! i was always afraid to take the car to far,not because it wasnt worthy,just because i would worry about it getting stollen or wrecked,all my friends took theres from new jersey to cali and had a blast except for one that wiped out the side of his coupe,maybe that was enough to keep me from going....good luck!!!! im in jersey if you need tools or anything!
Don't be afraid , I have visited many who are prisoners of their cars. Stop worrying, get insurance that covers your lost, and drive your car.

Use common sense, if you stay at a motel, tell them your concern, they will usually let you park close to your room. Have a good dinner, and good time and go to bed. I just did not worry about it. Next time, when buddies call, go for that ride.

Jack

Get notified of new replies

To The car is packed 48 states await

Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While at Bowling Green last year I couldn't believe the amount of Corvettes at all the Hotels. Me and my mate drove to every Hotel and looked at all the Corvettes sitting in the car parks at midnight and later. There was Z06's in every colour and C2's just sitting there plenty of eye candy and no body seemed to care about theft. I thought it was great to see people with a passion driving them and leaving them anywhere. Stewy
Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sharing the road

Found this thread last weekend and have been reading some each day and just made it to the end. Fascinating adventure. I am a newbie Corvette owner having purchased an '88 C4 last November. Of course, it does not have nearly the cool aspect that Jack's has, but it is my "Corvette therapy." (I broke my right arm at the shoulder joint last Feb and after two surgeries and much physical therapy, I finally bought a Corvette.) The therapy part started right after I got it when I needed to remove the oil filter. It was so tight that it bent when I used an oil filter wrench so I ended up doing the screwdriver through it to turn it. This meant I had to hit the screwdriver with a hammer while underneath the car in an awkward position. Bottom line is that it was less than two weeks after my second surgery so when I hit the screwdriver, it broke additional scar tissue loose resulting in significant pain and a loud scream! But from there, my mobility and strength has improved significantly! I now have T-shirts showing my Vette with "Corvette Therapy" written across them.

Still doing lots of little things to the car as I get it ready for trips. My longest trip so far has been about 600 miles in two days. Of course, my dream has always been to drive a RED (mine is burgundy) Corvette cross country -- Route 66 comes to mind, but then I started getting Route 66 through my Netflix and it shows a BLUE Corvette on the menu screen. Boy, was I disillusioned!

I really appreciate Jack's comments about the need to drive and not leave them covered in the garage. Like Jack, I think cars are meant to be driven and not meant to get upset about getting a scratch on them.

Anyway, just wanted to thank Jack and all the others for an enjoyable read. It really is encouraging to hear about all of the friendly folk across Corvette land that took care of their brethren. Wonder if it would be much different for a C4? Probably would not get the same attention, but I suspect that the Forum folks and others would still respond to needs.

BTW, it was a shame that Jack passed through SC so quickly. Lots of neat country roads from the mountains to the sea. Especially nice if you get off the interstates!

John
Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Drive that Baby

Originally Posted by cuengineer
Found this thread last weekend and have been reading some each day and just made it to the end. Fascinating adventure. I am a newbie Corvette owner having purchased an '88 C4 last November. Of course, it does not have nearly the cool aspect that Jack's has, but it is my "Corvette therapy." (I broke my right arm at the shoulder joint last Feb and after two surgeries and much physical therapy, I finally bought a Corvette.) The therapy part started right after I got it when I needed to remove the oil filter. It was so tight that it bent when I used an oil filter wrench so I ended up doing the screwdriver through it to turn it. This meant I had to hit the screwdriver with a hammer while underneath the car in an awkward position. Bottom line is that it was less than two weeks after my second surgery so when I hit the screwdriver, it broke additional scar tissue loose resulting in significant pain and a loud scream! But from there, my mobility and strength has improved significantly! I now have T-shirts showing my Vette with "Corvette Therapy" written across them.

Still doing lots of little things to the car as I get it ready for trips. My longest trip so far has been about 600 miles in two days. Of course, my dream has always been to drive a RED (mine is burgundy) Corvette cross country -- Route 66 comes to mind, but then I started getting Route 66 through my Netflix and it shows a BLUE Corvette on the menu screen. Boy, was I disillusioned!

I really appreciate Jack's comments about the need to drive and not leave them covered in the garage. Like Jack, I think cars are meant to be driven and not meant to get upset about getting a scratch on them.

Anyway, just wanted to thank Jack and all the others for an enjoyable read. It really is encouraging to hear about all of the friendly folk across Corvette land that took care of their brethren. Wonder if it would be much different for a C4? Probably would not get the same attention, but I suspect that the Forum folks and others would still respond to needs.

BTW, it was a shame that Jack passed through SC so quickly. Lots of neat country roads from the mountains to the sea. Especially nice if you get off the interstates!

John
Hi John,

I am glad that you have enjoyed my trip. It was a great adventure.

Without the help and hospitality of hundreds of forum members, the trip would not have been possible.

I rarely drove on interstates, my trip was a " Blue Highway " one .

When I left home, I only had 3 positive stops set, all the rest just came as I traveled, many times I did not know where I was staying until that day or the night before. But, I had my tent and I just threw myself at the mercy of the crowd.

So, enjoy your car, ask questions of your section forum members, the more you post, the more you will be known, and you can use that familiarity and help to plan your trip.

Cheers,

Jack

PS I did go to a rest stop in SC, just ran out of time, I will be back, have a spare room?

See how easy that was, happy motoring

Quick Reply: The car is packed 48 states await