C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Muncie 4 Speed Linkage - Sometimes Binding

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:10 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Muncie 4 Speed Linkage - Sometimes Binding

On occasion (for the past 43 years!) my 67 Vette's Muncie 4 speed shift linkage binds and gets stuck in first gear. The shifter itself will move somewhat but I can't finesse it back to neutral to reposition the 1/2 sift lever back to neutral. It jambs and remains that way until you get under the car to push the 1/2 gear shift lever forward back from 1st to neutral,

So you have to jack up the drivers side of the car, crawl under and reach the 1st-2nd gear lever that is stuck in the first gear position and push it forward to the straight up (neutral) position.

Someone has to press in the clutch in as well to release the engagement of 1st gear at the same time.When the lever is placed back, the shifter is fine again, until the next time. It is a royal PITA and quite embarrassing as well. I have had enough of this!

This only happens when I'm parked or parking, when I'm driving it at speed thru the gears all is well, it never jambs. I have the linkage on the short throws which I like, but now I'm thinking about moving the shifter rods back to the factory "Long Throw" position to see if this alleviates this 4 decade old problem.

The shifter when its not binded shifts well and the is no slop and its smooth. On the short throws it does take more arm effort but it is "crisp".

Can anyone tell me if I put the linkage back to Long Throws will this binding issue be resolved? Also how much further are the throws in the shift linkage long throw position? Its been to long for me to remember.

I don't want to have to call the Auto club again to lift my car so that I can get under it to release the first gear shift lever.

Has anyone had this issue on short throws or long throws and what did you do to resolve it? HELP!!! Thank You All!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:38 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The shifter has some wear and if you slide it to the inside when going from reverse to forward, the shift ball will slip through the gate and lock up. It just needs a little tightening up. This is a very common problem, but not serious. It will never happen if you pull straight down out of reverse and straight across the gate.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
The shifter has some wear and if you slide it to the inside when going from reverse to forward, the shift ball will slip through the gate and lock up. It just needs a little tightening up. This is a very common problem, but not serious. It will never happen if you pull straight down out of reverse and straight across the gate.
Can anyone tell me if I put the linkage back to Long Throws will this binding issue be resolved? Also how much further are the throws in the shift linkage long throw position? Its been to long for me to remember.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by babbah
Can anyone tell me if I put the linkage back to Long Throws will this binding issue be resolved?
No, it won't. The issue is excessive lateral slop due to wear between the surfaces of the lower shifter levers and the housing, which can be cured with a rebuild kit than contains two different thicknesses of interlock levers (Volunteer Vette has the kits). In the meantime, pull the shift lever straight rearward, then laterally across the gate when coming out of reverse as Wayne noted above, and it won't hang up.

You have a PM.

Last edited by JohnZ; 08-04-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:45 PM
Brian Edgeworth
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
No, it won't. The issue is excessive lateral slop due to wear between the surfaces of the lower shifter levers and the housing, which can be cured with a rebuild kit than contains two different thicknesses of interlock levers (Volunteer Vette has the kits). In the meantime, pull the shift lever straight rearward, then laterally across the gate when coming out of reverse as Wayne noted above, and it won't hang up.

You have a PM.
New to the forum. I have this issue but it happened while I was driving. I was in 2nd and when I went to shift to 3rd, the shifter came to the mid region (like it was in N) and would not move anywhere else. Car was still in 2nd and would not shift anywhere else, not even N. Drove it home and took off the covers from the top but do not see the issue. But there is two hex heads that look like they could be hitting each other but since I cannot move the gear shifter around, I cannot tell if they meant to be like that.
1963 with the 340hp engine and the 4 speed (I assume that means Muncie). I did not understand what it meant by going under the car to move it by hand.

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie 4 Speed Linkage - Sometimes Binding

Quick Reply: Muncie 4 Speed Linkage - Sometimes Binding