C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61-2 VIN relocation - DMV

Old 08-18-2010, 12:25 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Cautionary Note

Just a Cautionary Note here: In the state of Illinois, if you show up at a state inspection station to register your car, and the officer CAN NOT accurately determine the original VIN number for any reason (say the VIN tag is missing and/or the frame number is not visible or rusty) then they KEEP YOUR CAR!!! It is impounded permanently, or until you can PROVE to their satisfaction that the car is the one referenced on your title/registration.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Years ago I contacted the State HP on a vehicle that I wanted to modify and change. The officer from stolen vehicles came down and took a few pictures, recorded the numbers and watched me remove the tag. When I was ready to put the tag back on, he came to verify that it was the same frame and tag. Then watched as I put the tag back on in a different location, and took pictures and checked the numbers again.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Just a Cautionary Note here: In the state of Illinois, if you show up at a state inspection station to register your car, and the officer CAN NOT accurately determine the original VIN number for any reason (say the VIN tag is missing and/or the frame number is not visible or rusty) then they KEEP YOUR CAR!!! It is impounded permanently, or until you can PROVE to their satisfaction that the car is the one referenced on your title/registration.
That is very interesting as I live in Illinois and have never had the state inspect any aspect of my cars at any time. The cars need not even be present when you register them.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:20 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel 67
That is very interesting as I live in Illinois and have never had the state inspect any aspect of my cars at any time. The cars need not even be present when you register them.
If you buy a car that has a title from the state you reside in or is currently registered in the state, of course you wouldn't have an inspection!
Have you ever registered a car in Illinois that was purchased/titled/registered in another state?

DT
Old 08-19-2010, 04:32 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by NOM61
If you buy a car that has a title from the state you reside in or is currently registered in the state, of course you wouldn't have an inspection!
Have you ever registered a car in Illinois that was purchased/titled/registered in another state?

DT
I do not think so... my truck was not inspected when we registered it in Il from Cal. Just needed the $$.00 for the new license and registration fees.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel 67
It's not consistent here in Michigan. My '59 was registered in Illinois, and when we moved from Illinois to Michigan in 1970, the car had to be inspected by the Ann Arbor (MI) police before I could register it. I bought a '92 from Palatine (IL), and registered it in Michigan in 1997; no inspection required.

We left the '59 at my parents' in Dec. 1970 and didn't move it to Michigan until early 1971. The plates expired Dec. 31, and I would have had to buy new plates just to drive it out of Illinois (couldn't get Michigan plates until it was in Ann Arbor). So I just took the expired Illinois plates off and drove it. Got into Michigan before I got stopped by the Michigan State Police. I explained the situation, and both cops owned sports cars. We talked cars for a while, and they let me drive on without a ticket...
Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM
NOM61
Pro

Originally Posted by james Hufford
I do not think so... my truck was not inspected when we registered it in Il from Cal. Just needed the $$.00 for the new license and registration fees.
In Nevada vin inspections are definitely required. I have purchased three vehicles from other states in the past 5 yrs and every one required a vin inspection.
I'm not really surprised to hear Cali doesn't require it though.
I bought my MGA from Cali and the title didn't match the vin - they had used the engine number for the vin and gotten away with it in Cali. It was a major pain in the butt to get sorted out. This also explains why I had to instruct the Cali dmv girl on exactly where the vin could be found! As a result the MG has a Cali title since I had to have it retitled in Cali, and a Nevada registration. Cali sends me a registration notice every year but I have it is listed as a non-op there!
I think I now see where many member's laissez-faire attitude towards vin's comes from! That stuff just doesn't fly in Nevada.

DT

Last edited by NOM61; 08-19-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

I've lived in Michigan most of my life, and have bought lots of cars from other states (and Canada); have never had to have an inspection of any sort to register and title them - just needed the proper paperwork.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:49 PM
NOM61
Pro

A quick google shows Nevada, Florida, Conn., New Hamp., Oregon, R.I., Pa, Delaware, Utah, Kansas, Nebraska all requiring vin inspections to register/title an out of state vehicle. I'm sure there are more but I just did a quick scan.
So if you've altered your vin location, just be very careful of which state you decide to move or sell the vehicle to.
Or just move to Michigan. It makes sense that it would be the last state to pass any law which might interfere with automobile commerce!

DT
Old 08-20-2010, 05:40 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

A quick google shows Nevada, Florida, Conn., New Hamp., Oregon, R.I., Pa, Delaware, Utah, Kansas, Nebraska all requiring vin inspections to register/title an out of state vehicle. I'm sure there are more but I just did a quick scan.
So if you've altered your vin location, just be very careful of which state you decide to move or sell the vehicle to.
Or just move to Michigan. It makes sense that it would be the last state to pass any law which might interfere with automobile commerce!

DT
I just registered a 69 this spring that I bought from a guy in CT two years ago. The car came with a Nebraska title, a bill of sale from the P/O in Connecticut who never titled it in his own name (just the signatures on the back of the Nebraska title), and ultimately, me in Pennsylvania, who licensed it.

Smooth as silk.

No inspection; the DMV agent was more than happy to complete my paperwork and collect my sales tax and registration fees!

I think the vin inspection requirement must be a randomly applied law...or maybe is more applicable to auction vehicles, reconstructed vehicles, insurance claims, etc. than it is to transfers between private parties. YMMV.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:06 PM
NOM61
Pro

Originally Posted by champs65
I just registered a 69 this spring that I bought from a guy in CT two years ago. The car came with a Nebraska title, a bill of sale from the P/O in Connecticut who never titled it in his own name (just the signatures on the back of the Nebraska title), and ultimately, me in Pennsylvania, who licensed it.

Smooth as silk.

No inspection; the DMV agent was more than happy to complete my paperwork and collect my sales tax and registration fees!

I think the vin inspection requirement must be a randomly applied law...or maybe is more applicable to auction vehicles, reconstructed vehicles, insurance claims, etc. than it is to transfers between private parties. YMMV.
I didn't read all of the details of each state that came up on the search, just looked for inspection language, so obviously I was wrong about PA.
If your state requires the vin check for out of state vehicles it won't be randomly applied.
All three of the vehicles I registered in NV were private party purchases.
When my parents moved here in 1976 all of their vehicles had to have a vin check, so its been the law here for at least 34 years.
What is random is which states apply the law.
Heck, some states don't even issue titles for cars once they are a certain age!

DT
Old 08-20-2010, 06:26 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

DT
Alabama also.

And Bama does not title cars older than 1975, but they still do the VIN check on every vehicle that changes hands. Doesn't matter if it is a in state or out of state transfer.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

DT
I have, twice, and all they want is the title or the name of the bank that has the title.

PS: we have NO state vehicle inspections in Illinois
Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,477 Likes on 904 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Time for a repost about VIN tags:

A long story about moved/missing VIN tags.

I bought my car in Helena, MT in 1974, it was wrecked in Blackfoot, ID in 1969,and sat in a junkyard in Helena in the intervening years.

During negotiations to buy the car, I noticed the VIN tag was on the door frame, attached with sheet metal screws . I asked the guy who I was buying it from if he thought the car was stolen (I knew the guy, it wasn't like he just rolled into town with 'Vettes for sale cheep). He said he didn't think so, but that steering column had been changed.

No problem, I bought the car, spent 6 months scraping up the money to buy a used engine and transmission for it and got it sort of running. I submitted the old Idaho title to MT DMV, and got registration and plates in 1974. Over the next 5 years, I restored the car to respectable appearance.

Fast forward to CA in 1980. When I went to register it there, I found out they wanted to retrofit it with smog devices, so I said to hell with that and just drove the car on expired MT license plates for 11 years until I found out they had they rescinded the smog retrofit rule.

Knowing that I am now safe from having to install smog devices, I go to the Fullerton, CA DMV to register the car in 1991. Going to a CA DMV office is not for the faint of heart, just getting past the gauntlet of Hari-Krishnas milling outside the doors soliciting donations takes the agility of a quarterback, or the brawn of a fullback, coupled with the diplomacy of George Steinbrenner.

After my turn of 40 minutes of waiting in boredom, I get to the counter, and present my Montana title and registration. She looks at it and asks why the registration has been expired for 11 years. I told her the car was in storage in Montana all that time. OK, no problems there, then says she has to inspect the car, and to bring in around front, which I did.

The DMV Lady comes out, looks at the car (At that time is was a 97% Concourse show car, in the modified class, in other words, it was spotless inside and out, with 25 coats of nitrocellulose lacquer candy black cherry paint on the body;( I have literally have had several nubile young gals come up to me and ask if they could lick it. Unfortunately they were referring to the paint. ), she looks at the VIN tag and says "wait right here, don't leave" and runs inside. About 30 seconds later three big guys came running out, one with a wire brush in his hand and says: "You, get outta the car, NOW, go stand against the wall".

Not quite knowing what was up, I get out and ask them what was wrong?

Sir, this car is probably stolen, the VIN tag has been removed and replaced, go stand against the wall, NOW (two big burly goons had now positioned themselves on either side of me, I think the Hillside Strangler got more assumption of innocence than I was getting at the time). Me: No, the steering column where the VIN tag usually resides has been replaced, so the tag was moved to the door jamb, the state of Montana didn't have a problem with the tag being moved.

So, one guy goes around the front of the car, fumbling under the grill for the hood latch. After watching him look for a latch in the grill area, and even crawl underneath the front of the car trying to figure out how to open the hood, he finally said to me:

"Open the hood, we will check the engine numbers"

So, I open the hood, and guy with the wire brush is all set to brush off inches of expected crud (you could see the gleam in his eye, and he literally was all ready leaning forward over the fender with wire brush in hand as the hood was being opened, ready to corral a dangerous criminal by proving the engine SN didn't match the body VIN), and after the shock of the rear opening hood wears off, he moves to the side of the car and sees a absolutely spotless Concour engine, and his mouth drops open and he kind of looks back and forth at true spotlessness, with chrome, new paint, neatly arranged plug wires etc.. I then tell him that the engine number is supposed to be right there on the right front side of the block, but it is only a block code, they didn't serialize engines back then, plus I installed a new factory L79 crate engine back in 1976.

Well, now they then go inside, while demanding I still stay at the wall, all but spread eagle, while they go inside and confer, making comments about secret VIN code locations to them selves.

After about 10 minutes they come out, release me from the wall, and they then tell me they can't register the car until they verify the ID, and that I need to call the CHP for that.

So, next day call the CHP and set up an appointment to go to their division in Orange, CA that does this stuff, and drive down there, and an officer whose name I can’t recall, so I will call him officer Smith, comes out and tells me to drive the car into a bay in the Chippie compound and then go wait in the front office.

I ask why is that?

Officer Smith replies: There are secret places where there are VIN codes on vehicles that we don't want known by the public.

I say, Oh, yeah, the one on this car is located on top of the frame, directly under the drivers seat. His jaw kind of dropped open. So much for their secret. Anyway, he made me go up front so they could confiscate the car if the numbers didn't match.

About 10 minutes later Officer Smith comes up front and tells me he can't read the number and that I was going to have to cut the floor pan out and bring the car back so they could read it.

I Said I ain't cutting the floor pan out. He says then you can't register it in CA until we verify the number; I say, but I am supposed to register it here, I am a Californian resident now; we went back and forth a few times, finally he says register it again in Montana.. I ask isn't that illegal since I now live in CA, he hems and haws and says yes, but, etc, etc.

I then ask him if I can raise the number to be visible, at my house, can he come out and look at it?

Officer Smith says yes he will come out to verify the serial number and gives me his card.

Driving straight home, I jack the car up get out some soapy water water, a scraper and wire brush and clean the top of the frame beneath the drivers seat. I get out a mirror and flash light out and BINGO, you can see the SN, and it matches the title (I was getting kinda worried about then, I wasn't sure if I was going to have to go on the lamb, sort of a Lost Dutchman existence, traveling from state to state, but never being able to register my car).

I promptly called up Officer Smith in case the serial number wanted to migrate or something in the next few hours and tell him I found it, and he comes out pronto in his black and white CHP Mustang, opens the trunk, pulls out and puts on his coveralls, crawls under there, and looks and says, "I can't see the whole number, but I can see the 9141 of the last digits and that is good enough for me".

So I ask him what now?

Officer Smith says bring the car on back and they will assign a new serial number and place a new CA VIN tag (In a real obnoxious place) on the car.

I ask: can't I use my old SN, and place your CA tag right below the Chev tag on the front of the doorjamb? Officer Smith says no, we have to place it where CA says it should be.

Knowing a California assigned VIN would be the Kiss of Death for the car, relegating it to a collectibility status somewhere between Dune Buggy, and Low Rider, I had to think of something.

OK, I have an idea; I went in and wrote a letter to his supervisor telling the supervisor how Officer Smith went out of his way, coming all the way out to my house to help me solve this insurmountable problem, when nobody else would, and how he was a credit to the CHP, etc, etc. I laid it on pretty thick; and took about 2 whole single spaced type written pages to lay it on thick. This letter was so good, that had I copied it to the appropriate people, Officer Smith would have been sleeping in the Lincoln Bedroom, been Knighted by the Queen, and considered for Beatification by the Pope.

The next week, I go down to the Orange, CA CHP station to get my CA tag VIN Cert applied to the car, and Officer Smith, comes out kind of grinning,( obviously his supervisor had shown him the letter I had written and placed it in his file), and says, here, we got your old serial number put on the CA VIN tag, where did you want it installed? OK, under the old one is fine, would you like to install it? Here is the drill and punch.

I declined to install it myself, let him put the tag on, right under the old one, where I pointed out that was where I wanted it..

Then I had to go back to DMV with the certification of VIN.

Going back the second time to that den on incompetence, sullenness and hostility was enough to make me want to find a bridge to jump off of, that seemed less painful. Surly employees, screaming litters of kids be herded by moms that spoke foreign languages, Hari Krishnas (called ISCON now), begging donations at the door; I felt like I was in the bar from Starwars, and wondered why the place couldn’t instead be full of single 20-something babes, waiting for 40 minutes like I was to get their car registered.

Now my number is called and I finally get to the registration counter and the lady asks how much I paid for the car? I said $500, here is the bill of sale. I produce the bill of sale, dated March 16, 1974, written in crayola on a 3" by 5" scrap of paper ( it was all we could find at the time, what can I say).

She looks at it and says, "this car is worth a lot more than that, how much is it worth? I say: I paid $500 for it, there is the bill of sale.

We went back and forth a while, and then she tells me I have to get it appraised before I can register it. I say: I ain't paying for it to be appraised, if you want it appraised, you can hire an appraiser and have him come to my house and appraise it".

I get a dirty look and she gets a supervisor and they start looking through blue books and valuation guides and then get more and more desperate, and are furiously throwing new and old Kelly Blue Books around trying to find a 1961 Corvette in them that just isn't listed, to prove the car is worth lots more so the grand State of California can extort me for more money (This was before the KBB old car guide) , and finally the supervisor asks me how much the car is worth? I tell him: I paid $500 for it, there is the bill of sale, if it has gone up or down, since then, I have no idea, all I know is I paid $500 for it. (Car was appraised shortly after for $35K).

He shakes his head in disgust and tells the gal to put down $500 as the value.

A month later I get a letter from DMV wanting to know what such a low value, I send a letter back saying the same thing as above. I still have the letter.

So, my registration in CA was $18 a year, instead of the $1000 a year they were hoping to get.

All over two sheetmetal screws holding the VIN tag on.

bastards. :-)

Post script: After I registered my Corvette in Arizona after my escape from California and permanent move here , the California DMV sent me a letter, to my Arizona address, demanding I reregister the car in California or they were going to seize the vehicle. My written reply was: “Bite Me”. Haven’t heard a thing from them since.

PS: maybe sometime I will relate the story on how the State of Ca, refunded me the sales tax on a Ferrari I bought....

Note: the VIN tag that came on my car, was a GM issued tag (looks liek a late 1950's tag, red and silver) with the correct VIN, but the dealer evidently located it on the door jamb, after perhaps a steering column replacement. I still have that tag, also.

Doug
Old 08-20-2010, 08:37 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

DT
Ohio requires an inspection as well
Old 08-20-2010, 08:37 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,477 Likes on 904 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

CA (obviously),and AZ both do physical VIN tag checks before issuing a title to an out of state vehicle. If no VIN tag, they look for a frame number.

Doug
Old 08-20-2010, 08:44 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by AZDoug

I bought my car in Helena, MT in 1974, it was wrecked in Blackfoot, ID in 1969,and sat in a junkyard in Helena in the intervening years.

During negotiations to buy the car, I noticed the VIN tag was on the door frame, attached with sheet metal screws . I asked the guy who I was buying it from if he thought the car was stolen (I knew the guy, it wasn't like he just rolled into town with 'Vettes for sale cheep). He said he didn't think so, but that steering column had been changed.

No problem, I bought the car, spent 6 months scraping up the money to buy a used engine and transmission for it and got it sort of running. I submitted the old Idaho title to MT DMV, and got registration and plates in 1974. Over the next 5 years, I restored the car to respectable appearance.

Fast forward to CA in 1980. When I went to register it there, I found out they wanted to retrofit it with smog devices, so I said to hell with that and just drove the car on expired MT license plates for 11 years until I found out they had they rescinded the smog retrofit rule.

Knowing that I am now safe from having to install smog devices, I go to the Fullerton, CA DMV to register the car in 1991. Going to a CA DMV office is not for the faint of heart, just getting past the gauntlet of Hari-Krishnas milling outside the doors soliciting donations takes the agility of a quarterback, or the brawn of a fullback, coupled with the diplomacy of George Steinbrenner.

After my turn of 40 minutes of waiting in boredom, I get to the counter, and present my Montana title and registration. She looks at it and asks why the registration has been expired for 11 years. I told her the car was in storage in Montana all that time. OK, no problems there, then says she has to inspect the car, and to bring in around front, which I did.

The DMV Lady comes out, looks at the car (At that time is was a 97% Concourse show car, in the modified class, in other words, it was spotless inside and out, with 25 coats of nitrocellulose lacquer candy black cherry paint on the body;( I have literally have had several nubile young gals come up to me and ask if they could lick it. Unfortunately they were referring to the paint. ), she looks at the VIN tag and says "wait right here, don't leave" and runs inside. About 30 seconds later three big guys came running out, one with a wire brush in his hand and says: "You, get outta the car, NOW, go stand against the wall".

Sir, this car is probably stolen, the VIN tag has been removed and replaced, go stand against the wall, NOW (two big burly goons had now positioned themselves on either side of me, I think the Hillside Strangler got more assumption of innocence than I was getting at the time). Me: No, the steering column where the VIN tag usually resides has been replaced, so the tag was moved to the door jamb, the state of Montana didn't have a problem with the tag being moved.

So, one guy goes around the front of the car, fumbling under the grill for the hood latch. After watching him look for a latch in the grill area, and even crawl underneath the front of the car trying to figure out how to open the hood, he finally said to me:

So, I open the hood, and guy with the wire brush is all set to brush off inches of expected crud (you could see the gleam in his eye, and he literally was all ready leaning forward over the fender with wire brush in hand as the hood was being opened, ready to corral a dangerous criminal by proving the engine SN didn't match the body VIN), and after the shock of the rear opening hood wears off, he moves to the side of the car and sees a absolutely spotless Concour engine, and his mouth drops open and he kind of looks back and forth at true spotlessness, with chrome, new paint, neatly arranged plug wires etc.. I then tell him that the engine number is supposed to be right there on the right front side of the block, but it is only a block code, they didn't serialize engines back then, plus I installed a new factory L79 crate engine back in 1976.

Well, now they then go inside, while demanding I still stay at the wall, all but spread eagle, while they go inside and confer, making comments about secret VIN code locations to them selves.

After about 10 minutes they come out, release me from the wall, and they then tell me they can't register the car until they verify the ID, and that I need to call the CHP for that.

So, next day call the CHP and set up an appointment to go to their division in Orange, CA that does this stuff, and drive down there, and an officer whose name I can’t recall, so I will call him officer Smith, comes out and tells me to drive the car into a bay in the Chippie compound and then go wait in the front office.

I ask why is that?

Officer Smith replies: There are secret places where there are VIN codes on vehicles that we don't want known by the public.

I say, Oh, yeah, the one on this car is located on top of the frame, directly under the drivers seat. His jaw kind of dropped open. So much for their secret. Anyway, he made me go up front so they could confiscate the car if the numbers didn't match.

About 10 minutes later Officer Smith comes up front and tells me he can't read the number and that I was going to have to cut the floor pan out and bring the car back so they could read it.

I Said I ain't cutting the floor pan out. He says then you can't register it in CA until we verify the number; I say, but I am supposed to register it here, I am a Californian resident now; we went back and forth a few times, finally he says register it again in Montana.. I ask isn't that illegal since I now live in CA, he hems and haws and says yes, but, etc, etc.

I then ask him if I can raise the number to be visible, at my house, can he come out and look at it?

Officer Smith says yes he will come out to verify the serial number and gives me his card.

Driving straight home, I jack the car up get out some soapy water water, a scraper and wire brush and clean the top of the frame beneath the drivers seat. I get out a mirror and flash light out and BINGO, you can see the SN, and it matches the title (I was getting kinda worried about then, I wasn't sure if I was going to have to go on the lamb, sort of a Lost Dutchman existence, traveling from state to state, but never being able to register my car).

I promptly called up Officer Smith in case the serial number wanted to migrate or something in the next few hours and tell him I found it, and he comes out pronto in his black and white CHP Mustang, opens the trunk, pulls out and puts on his coveralls, crawls under there, and looks and says, "I can't see the whole number, but I can see the 9141 of the last digits and that is good enough for me".

So I ask him what now?

Officer Smith says bring the car on back and they will assign a new serial number and place a new CA VIN tag (In a real obnoxious place) on the car.

I ask: can't I use my old SN, and place your CA tag right below the Chev tag on the front of the doorjamb? Officer Smith says no, we have to place it where CA says it should be.

Knowing a California assigned VIN would be the Kiss of Death for the car, relegating it to a collectibility status somewhere between Dune Buggy, and Low Rider, I had to think of something.

OK, I have an idea; I went in and wrote a letter to his supervisor telling the supervisor how Officer Smith went out of his way, coming all the way out to my house to help me solve this insurmountable problem, when nobody else would, and how he was a credit to the CHP, etc, etc. I laid it on pretty thick; and took about 2 whole single spaced type written pages to lay it on thick. This letter was so good, that had I copied it to the appropriate people, Officer Smith would have been sleeping in the Lincoln Bedroom, been Knighted by the Queen, and considered for Beatification by the Pope.

The next week, I go down to the Orange, CA CHP station to get my CA tag VIN Cert applied to the car, and Officer Smith, comes out kind of grinning,( obviously his supervisor had shown him the letter I had written and placed it in his file), and says, here, we got your old serial number put on the CA VIN tag, where did you want it installed? OK, under the old one is fine, would you like to install it? Here is the drill and punch.

I declined to install it myself, let him put the tag on, right under the old one, where I pointed out that was where I wanted it..

Going back the second time to that den on incompetence, sullenness and hostility was enough to make me want to find a bridge to jump off of, that seemed less painful. Surly employees, screaming litters of kids be herded by moms that spoke foreign languages, Hari Krishnas (called ISCON now), begging donations at the door; I felt like I was in the bar from Starwars, and wondered why the place couldn’t instead be full of single 20-something babes, waiting for 40 minutes like I was to get their car registered.

Now my number is called and I finally get to the registration counter and the lady asks how much I paid for the car? I said $500, here is the bill of sale. I produce the bill of sale, dated March 16, 1974, written in crayola on a 3" by 5" scrap of paper ( it was all we could find at the time, what can I say).

She looks at it and says, "this car is worth a lot more than that, how much is it worth? I say: I paid $500 for it, there is the bill of sale.

We went back and forth a while, and then she tells me I have to get it appraised before I can register it. I say: I ain't paying for it to be appraised, if you want it appraised, you can hire an appraiser and have him come to my house and appraise it".

I get a dirty look and she gets a supervisor and they start looking through blue books and valuation guides and then get more and more desperate, and are furiously throwing new and old Kelly Blue Books around trying to find a 1961 Corvette in them that just isn't listed, to prove the car is worth lots more so the grand State of California can extort me for more money (This was before the KBB old car guide) , and finally the supervisor asks me how much the car is worth? I tell him: I paid $500 for it, there is the bill of sale, if it has gone up or down, since then, I have no idea, all I know is I paid $500 for it. (Car was appraised shortly after for $35K).

A month later I get a letter from DMV wanting to know what such a low value, I send a letter back saying the same thing as above. I still have the letter.

So, my registration in CA was $18 a year, instead of the $1000 a year they were hoping to get.

Post script: After I registered my Corvette in Arizona after my escape from California and permanent move here , the California DMV sent me a letter, to my Arizona address, demanding I reregister the car in California or they were going to seize the vehicle. My written reply was: “Bite Me”. Haven’t heard a thing from them since.

PS: maybe sometime I will relate the story on how the State of Ca, refunded me the sales tax on a Ferrari I bought....

Note: the VIN tag that came on my car, was a GM issued tag (looks liek a late 1950's tag, red and silver) with the correct VIN, but the dealer evidently located it on the door jamb, after perhaps a steering column replacement. I still have that tag, also.

Doug
Doug, great story, especially the end... "bite me"......made me laugh!!! thanks for sharing!

Get notified of new replies

To 61-2 VIN relocation - DMV

Old 08-20-2010, 11:03 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug

I ask why is that?

So I ask him what now?

Doug

Old 01-04-2011, 02:35 PM
macster
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Vin Relocation

FYI - I checked here in Colorado and if you remove the original column/vin then the state will issue you a new Colorado ID #. It will not be your original vin # so your title, registration, etc would have to be changed to reflect the new ID #. This is the legal way here in Colorado anyway. If you choose to relocate the original vin to the new column or wherever, then that's up to you. Chances are no one will ever question it but if they do, then be prepared for the consequences.

Mac
Old 01-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

DT
Florida absolutely does as I mentioned earlier...when registering my So. Carolina bought '61...the lady went outside with me on a 100* summer day to record the VIN. I personally would securely mount the original VIN plates (like Bill did if I could) somewhere and "keep on truckin"...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 61-2 VIN relocation - DMV