C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ignition lock turns without the key in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Ignition lock turns without the key in?

On my 64 coupe i bought a set of ignition and door key/lock.
The problem with the old ignition key/lock is that i could start the car without using the key.

New key and just the same. Am i supposed to take anything off the ignition lock?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:46 AM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe they all work the same way. Another thing that they allowed was for you to pull the key out while driving to unlock / lock the glove box.

On mine there is only one position 'lock' that prevents the start of car without a key. The key is required to remove ignition from this 'Lock' position.

RK
Old 08-23-2010, 09:23 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is a picture of the old and new lock and key

The old lock and key

The new lock and key

I cant be that the ignition lock is supposed to work without a key? Rather have a start button then

Looking at the new lock there looks like you can take off the metal piece over the pins that moves as you put the key in the lock but after looking at the
rest of the ignition there is no place where those pins fit

Last edited by TheSaint; 08-23-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 AM
chet b
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Left to right Accessory,lock,off,on,start. They all work the same. Pull the key out in the lock position and you cannot start the car. If you pull the key out in the off position, you can start the car. If you can turn the lock without the key from the lock position,your switch is broken.

Last edited by chet b; 08-23-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Why didn't you take the old one to a locksmith and have it rebuilt, unless the chrome on the face is messed up.

jack
Old 08-23-2010, 10:06 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

As the way cars are designed and operate has changed some over the last 46 years, now might be a good time to invest in an owner's manual for your 64. You'll find there are other things about your 64 that are different from modern cars.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:50 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Look in your owner's manual on page 6. "NOTE: Key cannot be removed from the ignition switch when in OFF or ACC position, thus guarding against accidentally leaving switch OFF but not locked. Key may be removed when the switch is in LOCK or ON position and the switch may be moved between ON and OFF positions without the key".

Old 08-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is the same way, Saint. But why is it that it doesn't make sense to only the two of us. Why in the heck would they have it where you can start the car without a key? Doesn't make sense no matter where you "pull the key out." Guess things have come a long way in 50 yrs.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:37 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Different key on the ignition and door locks so i bought a set

Originally Posted by 66jack
Why didn't you take the old one to a locksmith and have it rebuilt, unless the chrome on the face is messed up.

jack
Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I have it but it turns out that i have not read it good enough
I never use the lock position just the off position

I will check it tomorrow

Originally Posted by kellsdad
As the way cars are designed and operate has changed some over the last 46 years, now might be a good time to invest in an owner's manual for your 64. You'll find there are other things about your 64 that are different from modern cars.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:22 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou64
Mine is the same way, Saint. But why is it that it doesn't make sense to only the two of us. Why in the heck would they have it where you can start the car without a key? Doesn't make sense no matter where you "pull the key out." Guess things have come a long way in 50 yrs.
If the same key unlocked the doors, ignition and glove box, leaving the switch in the OFF position would allow the valet to park the car without giving him a key that would open the locked glove box. Of course the valet better keep a close eye on the car because anyone could open it up and start it up. Given how easy it was back then to hot wire a car, maybe that wasn't as big a concern then.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:01 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Just checked if i could turn the switch without the key in the locl position and i could not(got to use the key)so i think i will put in lock position when i am not using the car from now on. Not the off position(i have a main switch hidden though)
Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

the 62 switch is the same way, has 'wings' on the front of the cylinder so you can grasp and turn it with your fingers without the key.
Bill
Old 08-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Rob-classof'64
Racer

What John Z did not tell you is that this feature was standard across the General's line of cars in the 50's and up to '64. It was a convenience item. as others have noted. You did not have to run all over the house to find where your spouse left the keys when you wanted to run a quick errand.

YOur pics note the dog ears (wings) on the old lock but not the new one. Those were there, as someone else noted, specifically to turn the switch when the key wasn't being used. Us old guys remember these when our family car was new. lol

Rob
Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The new key and lock have the "dog ears too"

Originally Posted by Rob-classof'64
What John Z did not tell you is that this feature was standard across the General's line of cars in the 50's and up to '64. It was a convenience item. as others have noted. You did not have to run all over the house to find where your spouse left the keys when you wanted to run a quick errand.

YOur pics note the dog ears (wings) on the old lock but not the new one. Those were there, as someone else noted, specifically to turn the switch when the key wasn't being used. Us old guys remember these when our family car was new. lol

Rob
Old 08-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Rob-classof'64
Racer

My error, you know the old eyes just aren't what they use to be. Anyway,that is the way it is supposed to be. If you choose to drive without using the key, just have one with you in case you turn the switch too far by accident.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:28 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Agree because when you switch it to "lock" you really is in need of the key

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition lock turns without the key in?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:35 AM
C2Dean
Instructor

did you find out if it was the switch that is actually in the instrument cluster, NOT the key cylinder that you just replace by putting a paper clip in the little hole and pulling it out.
My car seems to have the same issue. In "Lock" it at first seems you can't turn the ignition without a key. But, if you jiggle it back and forward a bit without a key in it, it will move from "Lock" and you can turn it to start the car. Again, this is with no key and it initially in the "Lock" position.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

As a side note, back in the day the General made a lot more cars than there were unique key codes for. One of my friends used to collect GM ignition keys whenever he ran across them and had quite a collection. On average he could unlock/start about 50 % of the GM cars he tried ! Including mine. Bob
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by C2Dean
did you find out if it was the switch that is actually in the instrument cluster, NOT the key cylinder that you just replace by putting a paper clip in the little hole and pulling it out.
My car seems to have the same issue. In "Lock" it at first seems you can't turn the ignition without a key. But, if you jiggle it back and forward a bit without a key in it, it will move from "Lock" and you can turn it to start the car. Again, this is with no key and it initially in the "Lock" position.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Quick Reply: Ignition lock turns without the key in?