C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help! Need details on matching Laguna Blue paint formula

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Help! Need details on matching Laguna Blue paint formula

Ok.. after a loooong project we are finally ready to put some color on the ’66. It’s supposed to be Laguna Blue. Problem is my painter called me late today because he is not satisfied with the way a color sample he mixed up looks on a sample panel. He’s using Spies Hecker which I understand is excellent quality paint. I haven’t seen the test panel yet but I really have nothing to compare it against.

I did a little research and found the color code cross reference:
1966 978 Laguna Blue Metallic
Valspar Code L1718
PPG Code 13188
DuPont Code 4710
RM Code 1826
SW Code -
MS Code 7806
Azko Code GMA66:978
WA Code 3522

Tomorrow I’ll take a look that the test panel but I don’t have access to a color chip chart or an original car to compare. What do I do? How can I best be sure I will match the original color?

Last edited by JoeCool66; 08-26-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Gimme1MoreC1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe, I have a rear exhaust panel from my 66 Laguna Blue car (I installed sidepipes a few years ago). You are welcome to borrow it. Some of my car appears to have original paint, and this panel could be. Also, it didn't receive a lot of sunlight under the rear bumpers, so should be a good test panel. PM and we can get together. I'm in West Palm but work in Dade a lot M-F.
Joe
Name:  paint-3.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  37.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0696_1rq.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  150.9 KB
Old 08-28-2010, 06:29 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Joe,
I did an original 66, one owner car a couple of years ago. The PPG formulation (lacquer), was right on the money. The car still had original paint, so we were able to do a good comparison. Good luck.

Mike Coletta
Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Let me tell you what has happened… I saw the Spies Hecker sample paint and although it was a nice looking color it wasn’t right; way too blue-green. Apparently Spies has three Laguna Blues and the others were darker or bluer but this was ‘the most popular’. So I contacted a CF member who had posting info on Laguna and he sent me the formula for a more corrected version from PPG. I had my guy mix up a batch for comparison.

I also was able to hook up with a bunch of nice guys in the Stingray club here in south Florida. One has a Laguna Blue that has passed NCRS judging. Another let me borrow his 1966 color chip chart.

Bottom line, the PPG is an excellent match (Spies is definitely way too blue-green). My new friend with the ’66 Laguna had the headlight bezels original paint and those matched real well. Good color and good match on the metal flake. The color chip is a bit darker but it is 44 years old after all.

Thanks for the help guys. This was a crucial step in the paint project and a misstep could have made this project go REAL BAD….real quick.

I’m going with PPG…
Old 08-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Bearzerker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeCool66
Ok.. after a loooong project we are finally ready to put some color on the ’66. It’s supposed to be Laguna Blue. Problem is my painter called me late today because he is not satisfied with the way a color sample he mixed up looks on a sample panel. He’s using Spies Hecker which I understand is excellent quality paint. I haven’t seen the test panel yet but I really have nothing to compare it against.

I did a little research and found the color code cross reference:
1966 978 Laguna Blue Metallic
Valspar Code L1718
PPG Code 13188
DuPont Code 4710
RM Code 1826
SW Code -
MS Code 7806
Azko Code GMA66:978
WA Code 3522

Tomorrow I’ll take a look that the test panel but I don’t have access to a color chip chart or an original car to compare. What do I do? How can I best be sure I will match the original color?
Hey JoeCool

I'm doing up a laguna blue 427 with factory A/C...
how long was your project before you could paint?

I need to build a mount to put the body on...
I was thinking of a rotisserie but its only one car...
a wooden one would probably be more practicable.
any ideas or suggestions?

going to need advice on the best Laguna blue I can get, because my coupe was painted white then baked
with chickens and pigs and other happy critters in a barn for a long *** time...
The PPG paint code 13188 was this the code you used?
or did you tweak your PPG colour further?
or did you find & use the prophet formula?

any advise you can give would be glorious

cheers

Bear

this is the laguna blue resurrection project i got happening & spent the better part of two summers building a home for her
and a workspace for me to do my thing

Last edited by Bearzerker; 08-23-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: corrections to body of msg
Old 08-23-2014, 03:02 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Laguna Blue is absolutely my Favorite mid year color, congrats to you guys for getting these cars back in their original colors!

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Need details on matching Laguna Blue paint formula

Quick Reply: Help! Need details on matching Laguna Blue paint formula