C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A question for you Resto-Mod guys with LS crate motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:26 AM
The Corvette Kid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Default A question for you Resto-Mod guys with LS crate motors

I have a question for you guys using ls crate motors with the GM ecm and wire harness. Have any of you guys had your ecm reprogrammed to start your cooling fan at a lower temp.,212 degrees seems kind of high since I don't have to worry about emissions on a 61 Corvette. Also I am using a March serpentine drive system which uses a 97-03 style water pump and the earlier style thermostat and I can't seem to find a 160 thermostat that comes without the housing. I have an aftermarket straight thermostat housing and I just need the thermostat by itself. Thanks, Bob
Old 09-05-2010, 07:41 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Nope,

Using the stock turn-on temps for all 5 of my LS engines and stock 195 degree T-stats. I figured there was a reason that all those high-paid engineers wanted to run the engines that warm, so I have stuck with it. Could maybe I squeeze another 5-10 hp out the engine by running it cooler? Well maybe, but the engines put out way more power than I can even begin to put to the ground , so why mess with it? All my engines run at 195 pretty much anytime they are running except for stop-and-go traffic, and then they run up to just a shade over 210 and then the fan comes on and cools them back down. The I\O in the computer for the fan went out on my 59, so it now run the fan all the time and it NEVER goes over 195.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 09-06-2010, 06:13 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

In ALL of the cars I've built, I have the fan running when the ignition is "on". I then let the thermostat control the temperature of the engine. I've always run a 190 stat. Engine temps will vary between 195 and 207. Very effective in the Florida heat. Never a problem with overheating. Remember, the fan cools the water in the radiator, the temperature of the engine is regulated by the thermostat.

Mike Coletta
Old 09-06-2010, 09:34 PM
The Corvette Kid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Guys, I guess if you guys from Texas and Florida can run them that way I shouldn't have a problem here in Pennsylvania. I think I will leave it the way it is. Thanks again, Bob

Get notified of new replies

To A question for you Resto-Mod guys with LS crate motors

Quick Reply: A question for you Resto-Mod guys with LS crate motors