C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 - Power window conduit question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:05 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey Paul...yea, I think I got it figured out...but thanks for offering!
Old 05-24-2012, 02:29 AM
rumplestiltskin1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JPW, I don't know if I should restart your two-year old thread or if you want me to just e-mail you but I am very interested in your quest for answers re the pw conversion and still have a couple of questions? Let me know, thx.
Gord
Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I'll send you a PM
Old 05-29-2012, 12:44 AM
rumplestiltskin1
Advanced

Got your private message but never having used it before, I am not sure if I'm replying correctly or what's up so I thought I'd go back to the general forum and see if anyone can weigh in. ???
After a related search I read with great interest your thread about the 58 pw issues as I had struggled myself last year as to where to mount my wiring conduits from Corvette Central. There was no instruction how or where to install them and all I had ever seen were mounted on the outer fiberglass surface. I had not the foggiest idea that it was actually mounted on a panel underneath but may make it a lot easier now!
Anyways, I have transferred the measurements from your thread onto my door and will start to cut soon. All the pics I've seen are of a door in the prep stage but is this actually the way it looks when all finished and painted?..with a big gaping rectangular hole there?
Also, a couple of the pics showed this rect hole as being parallel with the door's inner edge while the pic sent to you from the wrecking yard appears to show it being plumb, or at least not in line with the door inner edge.
Are you finished your install and have a pic of the finished product or after doing this would you recommend doing this or opt for a more modern neater system? My 1960 is by no means "correct" but I still like it to look as stock as possible.
Thanks in advance for any comments or advice!
Gord
Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Here are some pics of my finished PW conduits in my '61...along with a view through the hole BEFORE the conduit is installed. It's important that the conduit slide through the outer hole but also that first 'inner' hole smoothly.
Before you make the final screw holes to hold the conduit or run the wire through it you can sort of hold the conduit in place with two fingers (or possibly tape) and tweak it so that it transitions in and out of the door easily and THEN mark and drill the screw holes to mount it. Finally, YES the big door jamb oval hole and rectangular hole in the door are correct; it's ugly but functional.
Attached Images       

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-29-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:27 PM
rumplestiltskin1
Advanced

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for! Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-29-2016, 05:04 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Although an old post, I hope we still have some followers...anyone have a picture of how the wires run from out the back and up to the dash?
Attached Images  

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 04-29-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 58 - Power window conduit question