C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

4 Post Lift for storage

Old 10-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I bought a four post, 9K lb. "Quality Lift" by Challenger this summer. It has all the certifications and some safety and standard features not included with others. They were on display and being sold through Napa Auto during Hot August Nights. Their delivery and installation package is what sold me - it even included an extra year on the warranty. I'm very happy with it.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:26 PM
iamq
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 57 Posts

My BendPac 9 works great.. no problems.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Now THAT is a tight fit!
How high is your garage ceiling ??
Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
All the 4 post lifts that I have ever seen were sturdy and stable with or without a car on it. I have never seen anyone ever bolt a 4 post lift down, but I would guess that they do in Earthquake-prone areas. Never seen a lift that did not have a caster kit available for it. Lots of good lifts out there in the sub-$2k price range. I have owned a DirectLift for over 6 years and it has served me well. About $1800 including drip trays, jack bridge and caster set.

Personally, I would never buy a Backyard buddy. They build a good lift, but I hate the way they market against their competition. If you believe their salesmen, you are in mortal peril if you use any of their competitors products.

Regards, John McGraw
Originally Posted by 1snake
I thought I was the only one that felt this way.

Jim
Nope, there're more out there that feel that way than you might suspect. Scratch me off their list as well. Personally, I like the fact that the DirectLift that I have is certified by the ALI (Automotive Lift Institute).

Here's a little more information regarding certification of automotive lifts, along with an internet link at the end that'll give you a list of all certified lifts. There are a lot of good lifts out there, many are ALI certified as well, including models from BendPak, Rotary Lift, Hunter, Wheeltronic, and numerous others. I don't see Backyard Buddy mentioned, however . . . .
I'm gonna stick with an ALI certified lift . . . .

Does your lift carry the Gold Label?
Be an informed consumer! Read the information below before you buy a vehicle lift that you will be working under or around.

We are proud to announce that Direct-Lift's Pro Park series four-post lifts are now ALI Certified, and have received ALI/ETL approval. To achieve certification, each lift model must meet ANSI standards and be third party tested and validated by an accredited independent testing company.

Not all lifts are the same. It takes a combination of the right design, engineering excellence and quality manufacturing to earn this certification. Every hobbyist should take the time to look for the "Gold ALI/ETL label" on the lift being considered. It is extra assurance for the buyer that the lift meets the highest industry safety and performance standards.

And did you know that there is only ONE current standard in North America that governs the design and construction of automotive lifts? This standard is ANSI/ALI ALCTV - 2006. ALI and its members offer a rigorous testing and certification program for lifts. The program uses an independent third-party testing laboratory called ETL (Intertek).

ETL meets OSHA requirements as one of only twelve nationally recognized testing laboratories in the country. ETL tests the lifts the ensure compliance with the American National Standard ANSI/ALI ALCTV - 2006 and ANSI UL Standard 201 and periodically inspects the factory where the lifts are being made.

Lifts are subjected to thorough safety tests such as a 1.5 rated load test, cable cut tests and deformation tests. If the lift passes the tests and the factory meets the standards, then the lift may carry the gold "ALI Certified/ETL Listed Mark". Each individual lift model must receive its own ALI/ETL certification.

Key certification considerations...

* ETL is the ONLY nationally recognized testing lab (NRTL) that manages the ALI program.
* There are no conditional, temporary or partial certifications. The lift is either certified or not certified.
* No one is authorized to use the ALI/ETL certification label or reference it without all requirements being met.

Gold ALI/ETL Label

To view a list of all certified lifts, visit the ALI website at www.autolift.org.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
I bought a four post, 9K lb. "Quality Lift" by Challenger this summer. It has all the certifications and some safety and standard features not included with others. They were on display and being sold through Napa Auto during Hot August Nights. Their delivery and installation package is what sold me - it even included an extra year on the warranty. I'm very happy with it.
Where was the display, Mike?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Bendpack HD-9W... w/ rolling casters. Also have the rolling jack! great for brakes tires etc... FordGt needed the extra width. When the ramps are set wide, the aluminum drip pans fell through, nothing that a piece of particle board would solve.... Have the casters but never used them yet... Also used it for engine pulls......

I'll be adding another one shortly to store five cars in a 3 car garage with the 73 eldo at ~6,000 lb's and will no qualms about parking it on top of the 65 vette. I'll still go for the HD9-W just set the ramps as normal.....
Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Question for those with lifts, from what I have read, they all want a level floor. My garage floor is slanted about 1/4" per foot so water can run off. Anyone have a 4 post in a similar garage or are all yours flat?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:06 AM
iamq
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Now THAT is a tight fit!
How high is your garage ceiling ??
I designed the garage to fit these two cars. The ceiling is 10'4", the garage door opener is off to one side and the door is pushed to the ceiling. Works fine for me. When I've had my full size Chevy pickup on it I can still work comfortable under it, but I'm only 5'9" might not work if you are over 6". The floor has a 2" in 20' slope but the lift is not bolted to it.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:40 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
All the 4 post lifts that I have ever seen were sturdy and stable with or without a car on it. I have never seen anyone ever bolt a 4 post lift down, but I would guess that they do in Earthquake-prone areas. Never seen a lift that did not have a caster kit available for it. Lots of good lifts out there in the sub-$2k price range. I have owned a DirectLift for over 6 years and it has served me well. About $1800 including drip trays, jack bridge and caster set.

Personally, I would never buy a Backyard buddy. They build a good lift, but I hate the way they market against their competition. If you believe their salesmen, you are in mortal peril if you use any of their competitors products.

Regards, John McGraw
I have to agree with John about the Direct Lift. I bought one for my Florida house at the NCRS meet in Kissimmee in Jan. of 09.

It's the 7000# model. Works fine. No problems. NOT bolted to the floor. Easy (that's a relative term ) to move with the caster set.

At my house in Maryland, I had a Superior brand lift. It looked identical to the Direct Lift I have now. I had zero problems with the Superior brand.

I personally don't care for the Backyard Buddy design, with the collars that slide up/down the uprights. I like the other design. I too don't care for their "scare tactic" advertising.

Their 5K price tag is a bit salty, IMHO.

Chuck
Old 10-26-2010, 07:02 AM
62rules
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Purchase

Lifts for most of us is a major purchase and most of us are going to defend our purchase. If they dont, then you know there is a problem with that product.
I have a Direct Lift 7, which I dont believe is made anymore due to not having a slack cable lock mechanism. I like mine and it has been trouble free for about 4 years now.

A buddy of mine just purchased the Direct Lift 8 because he liked mine. Hs is definitely better with the slack cable lock.

Im sure Back Yard Buddies are good. Ive looked at them at different events but thought they were pricey.

I think they didnt put bolt holes in the bottom plates due to their design. If they were not perfectly plumb, square, and level to the ground and each other, it appears they would bind due to the cross bars going all the way around the uprights.
Could be wrong but thats what it looks like to me.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:14 AM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bweaver999
Question for those with lifts, from what I have read, they all want a level floor. My garage floor is slanted about 1/4" per foot so water can run off. Anyone have a 4 post in a similar garage or are all yours flat?

Not a problem. Mine slopes about the same as yours. The only issue you will have (not really an issue) is the car on the lift will still be at the same slope as the floor, so if leaving the car in neutral (brake off) you will have to chock the wheels or the car will roll as if it were on the ground.

Charlie
Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadVettes
Not a problem. Mine slopes about the same as yours. The only issue you will have (not really an issue) is the car on the lift will still be at the same slope as the floor, so if leaving the car in neutral (brake off) you will have to chock the wheels or the car will roll as if it were on the ground.

Charlie
The slope can be readily dealt with if you so choose by using a few pieces of 1/4" and 1/2" steel plate cut to fit under the post corners. A local machine shop can fix you up with the properly sized plates fairly reasonably.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
The slope can be readily dealt with if you so choose by using a few pieces of 1/4" and 1/2" steel plate cut to fit under the post corners. A local machine shop can fix you up with the properly sized plates fairly reasonably.

Mine has at least that much slope, I used plate, leveled and called it good.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:29 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

My floor slopes in all directions towards a center floor drain. I've never used any shims and have never had any problems. Sounds like a waste of time to me.

Jim
Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 PM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My floor sloops for water drainage (about an inch in the length of my lift and about 1/2" in width). I have a Rotary. One thing that I really like about Rotary is that each corner can be adjusted for level, no need for shims or an out of level deck. I have a 9'3" ceiling, so I can fine tune the lock postions to maximize my clearence. Also, I have an epoxy floor and found it necessary to bolt the lift to the floor so the lift would not slide everytime I climbed the extended Aluminum ramps (recommended). I recommmend 220V also. Rotary cost a little more but worth it IMO.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bill32
Where was the display, Mike?
Bill:

Napa had a tent set up in the parking lot at the Grand Sierra. Challenger had a salesman and lift set up outside the tent for demonstrations. They were offering a sale price and free castors during HAN. After watching them install it (two guys with a fork lift), I know I couldn't have done it alone.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bweaver999
Bruce:

My garage floor has a slope similar to yours. The Quality Lift by Challenger has an adjustment and leveling process the installers went through during installation - the run ways level by adjusting the jack plate bolts in the posts. The only issue is that it needs to be re-leveled if you move it, I've done it and it's not that difficult.

Last edited by Mike67nv; 10-26-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 4 Post Lift for storage

Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
Bill:

Napa had a tent set up in the parking lot at the Grand Sierra. Challenger had a salesman and lift set up outside the tent for demonstrations. They were offering a sale price and free castors during HAN. After watching them install it (two guys with a fork lift), I know I couldn't have done it alone.
Thanks, I went there too early, half the displays weren't open yet.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:09 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Read this before you do business with Superlifts.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-of-money.html
Old 08-20-2011, 01:58 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Read this before you do business with Superlifts.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-of-money.html

Good info!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4 Post Lift for storage