C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help with Door latch Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:38 AM
DanTanna
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with Door latch Issues

I put on new interior door panels and now my door open ***** don't open the doors from the inside - outside works fine. I know this shouldn't happen, but the panels line up and the interior ***** don't work. Can these be adjusted? Am I missing something? Having to reach out my window to open the doors is a drag.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:44 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Could you have forgotten to hook the inside **** to the latch? Or maybe it got knocked off somehow? The panel shouldn't have anything to do with the inside latch working or not.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:44 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

What year car?

Sounds like you might be describing a problem with the **** not being able to be pulled back far enough?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:47 AM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m assuming your pulls work fine with the door panels off. You need to make sure the rod that goes from the chrome ball pull to the lock mechanism does not bind and lies as close as possible to the door. Check the little hole it goes through to be sure it’s not binding. If you check your alignment and the door panel does not interfere with the **** then it’s probably the rod binding somewhere. Temporarily loosen the door panel to see if that makes a difference. The connecting rod is supposed to have a sleeve protecting that should help with binding. You need to bend the rod until it fits right and doesn’t bind.

Joe
Old 10-29-2010, 11:56 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
What year car?
If you fill out your profile it would help because we would be able to guess what type of car you are talking about. If it is a C1, I was in mine recently and got them working very good. Help us help you.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM
DanTanna
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a 63 vert. Yes, the latch does work with the door panels off. Sounds like I just need to fiddle around with the door panels for awhile to see if they are in the right place, but they do screw in and line up with the holes. I haven't checked my profile in a while as I assumed it was still complete from when I filled it when I first joined the forum several years back, but I will take care of that.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:09 PM
dunney
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe's66
I’m assuming your pulls work fine with the door panels off. You need to make sure the rod that goes from the chrome ball pull to the lock mechanism does not bind and lies as close as possible to the door. Check the little hole it goes through to be sure it’s not binding. If you check your alignment and the door panel does not interfere with the **** then it’s probably the rod binding somewhere. Temporarily loosen the door panel to see if that makes a difference. The connecting rod is supposed to have a sleeve protecting that should help with binding. You need to bend the rod until it fits right and doesn’t bind.

Joe
I had this same problem. Totally agree.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:27 AM
lib
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Similar problem solved

I replaced the door mechanism in my 63 and this was my solution; http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...rchid=20064955

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Door latch Issues

Quick Reply: Help with Door latch Issues