C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Big Tank Cover for Restomods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Whiplash71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big Tank Cover for Restomods?

I'm in the process of a major restomod on my 65 Coupe. All the aftermarket frame guys say, "Oh people are just using the "Big Tank" covers in the rear floor area to make room for the C6 suspension."

Does anyone know who makes these 1 piece rear floor panels/"Big Tank" covers? I can't find them anywhere and my shop has never seen them.

Tanks! (pun intended)

Whiplash
Old 10-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

This guy used to make them.......................

btmcheetah@gmail.com

Last edited by Dr L-88; 10-29-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:41 AM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We took this pic at the Daytona Turkey Rod Run last year and I'm pretty sure the guy was at Old Town NCRS as well. Call 267-934-1667. It might be the same people in Dr L-88's email link but Norton Security wouldn't let me open that link.............

Old 10-30-2010, 06:43 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Mid-America Industries (Jeff Leach) makes them as a one piece unit or in three pieces. The last phone number that I had for him was 309 787 5119. He is in Illinois. Frankly, it's just as easy to fab one up yourself. His part is pretty thin, even though it's ribbed. I ended up adding two layers of glass to get it strong enough to suit me. His parts are made for weight/speed, and not for storage, etc. The only advantage to the one piece unit, is that the floor is prebent at the front to come down behind the seats. Nowdays, I just use two pieces of flat stock, and I have another seam at the forward edge. The inner wheel wells that he provides, are just two pieces of flat stock. Again, what I've been doing, is split the wheel well, front to back (like in the pictures), then lay the floor in place at the proper height. I then attach the inner part of the wheel well where I want it (the picture is a 3" tub), and fill in the top. The last set that I bought from Jeff was about 8 months ago, and I think it was around $450 with shipping. Not really worth the money in my opinion. Here are a couple of shots of one of his installed.

Mike Coletta

Old 10-30-2010, 09:49 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I agree with Mike, it is easy to build your own floor and for that much money, I will just do it myself. Here are come pics of the last convertible I did. It is using a D44 C4 rear and I kept the floor as close to the rear as possible to maximize storage. Also, you can't tub a rag-top as the top requires all the space between the wheel wells. We are going to start on a coupe for the next project and it will be tubbed.

http://img.villagephotos.com/imageview.aspx?i=22321094

http://img.villagephotos.com/imageview.aspx?i=22321104

I actually made a mold that I attached to the inside of the car and then layed up the glass into it. This made for a seamless floor that is very slick. Granted, it is covered by carpet and does not matter, but it looks nice. I riveted a couple of aluminum channel reinforcements to the underside of the floor to make it very strong.

I then fabricated an extra high luggage stop panel out of 18 ga steel and attached it with a double row of fasteners. This makes for a bulkhead that will not flex.

http://img.villagephotos.com/imageview.aspx?i=20521688

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Whiplash71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. After seeing the part and the prices I'm thinking fabrication is the way to go. I don't need the extra hump for the gas tank filler tube that comes on the "Big Tank" floor and I should be able to do it cheaper than $750 plus shipping. I'll let you know what I decide.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Tank Cover for Restomods?

Quick Reply: Big Tank Cover for Restomods?