C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Superformance 1963 Corvette Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,519 Likes on 3,001 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by VetteJohn
Every car I sat in had a problem I couldn’t live with, my head was nearly touching the roof and I had no leg room. This was a real surprise to me since I’m 5’10 and weigh 220.
In talking to the vendors they all said the same thing, the car is a copy of the race car, not the street car. I’m not sure exactly what’s different but it make these cars unacceptable
The space problem originates in the way the frame is laid out. In the GS, you sit on top of the frame but in a production Sting Ray you sit within the frame.

Getting around the headroom issue means having a seat bottom as thin as comfort will allow mounted as close to the floor as physics will allow.

Leg room? I don't know why you had a problem there. But perhaps the seat back was too thick or too far forward.

I'm a little taller than you. In our D&D prototype, my helmet touches the roof. However in our MAI GS, I've got an inch or more helmet clearance. So not all Grand Sports are identical.

Jim
Old 11-05-2010, 03:24 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Getting around the headroom issue means having a seat bottom as thin as comfort will allow mounted as close to the floor as physics will allow.

Leg room? I don't know why you had a problem there. But perhaps the seat back was too thick or too far forward.
I agree - it depends on the seat construction. My D&D had one-piece fiberglass shells that I had upholstered like the originals, and I used low-profile adjusters I found at Summit that only raised them about an inch off the floor. At 5'-10"/210#, my helmet just cleared the roof, and I had adequate legroom.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2010, 03:29 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I was able to take a look at the Gs at sema yesterday and I must sayit was very impressive

The rear uses trailing arms similar to original and it looks to me like the front control arms are close to he original set up. The car had a rack mounted but I don't know the origin. I was able to speak to the superformance rep and he said the rack was purpose built whatever that meant. He also indicated gm had installed the engine and trans in the last 3 days but they were going to use a different oil pan because of clearance issues. They also installed a trunk much like the one John z built for his GS

It also surprised me they left off the slits behind the rear tires and used chrome tail lights
The sidepipes also looked a little goofy but they always do when you try to put heat shields on them

Jeff
Old 11-05-2010, 06:29 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 77 Posts

The GS at the $89,900 price is a roller with no engine/trans. They do show engine options from a ZZ4 small block to the LS9. They do show a side draft Weber equipped all aluminum 377 as one of the engine options. Transmissions include M22,Tremac TKO 600 and a Tremec T56. I've looked at a few of their Cobras and talked with some of their owners to see how the cars are built, how they perform and how good any support is. Superperformance seems to have done a good job on all accounts . It has been along time coming !!! -----------------Ken McCorry
Old 11-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Larry N. Johnson
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:33 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

To All:

If they are after Authenticity, WHy are they not using the original Style GS Wheels like the ones PS Engineering uses. It look like the wheels for a GT40 instead of the Corvette GS.

Also, Why use 18 inch rear wheels and 17 inch Front instead of 15 inch wheels?

Maybe for the same reason they had chrome rear lights and not "Gills" cut behind the rear wheels.

Any thoughts?

I think you lose some of the Vintage qualities of the car when you do this.

Ty
Old 11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by tyoneal
To All:

If they are after Authenticity, WHy are they not using the original Style GS Wheels like the ones PS Engineering uses. It look like the wheels for a GT40 instead of the Corvette GS.

I agree - I don't like the big wheels and rubber-band tires either. Their choice was probably driven by:

1. The desire to use much larger brake rotors (not really necessary, but that seems to be a big "bling" element with some buyers these days).

2. The need to supply the car with V-rated tires to match the car's capabilities (liability issue); nobody makes premium 15" tires any more.

I prefer the original "look".
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2010, 06:32 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I agree - I don't like the big wheels and rubber-band tires either. Their choice was probably driven by:

1. The desire to use much larger brake rotors (not really necessary, but that seems to be a big "bling" element with some buyers these days).

2. The need to supply the car with V-rated tires to match the car's capabilities (liability issue); nobody makes premium 15" tires any more.

I prefer the original "look".

The rubber band tires turn me right off on any old car. Both my Grand Sports had PS 15 inch wheels. John dose have a point about not having many good choices for 15 inch tires anymore.

This is my car with the current owner driving it. The pic is from the Superformance web site

Old 11-09-2010, 08:29 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnZ

1. The desire to use much larger brake rotors (not really necessary,......

Yet, it's entirely possible to package big brakes (if you do need them, and I do) inside 15" wheels:

Jim
Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

To All:

Maybe for the same reason they had chrome rear lights and not "Gills" cut behind the rear wheels.

Any thoughts?

I think you lose some of the Vintage qualities of the car when you do this.

Ty
Car was mainly there to show case GM's new E-Rod LSX engine, in this case the LSA version and I'm sure the guys at superperformance would be happy to build a more authentic car too.

IMO it would be a waste of money to use later model suspension, brakes and steering and then loose the gained performance by using 15" rubber...

It was really nice car in person, there's always things I would've done differently. I have the same engine (with cats too) going into my GS roadster...
Old 11-11-2010, 02:24 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aworks

The rubber band tires turn me right off on any old car. Both my Grand Sports had PS 15 inch wheels. John dose have a point about not having many good choices for 15 inch tires anymore.

This is my car with the current owner driving it. The pic is from the Superformance web site

That picture always puts a smile on my face and gives me hope!

Last edited by groovyjay; 11-12-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by groovyjay
That picture always puts a smile on my face and gives my hope!
It does the same for me, I think it is one my favorite GS pictures.

Jeff
Old 11-12-2010, 12:57 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aworks

=================================
What Chassis/Suspension did you have under your two GS's?
Who made, and which 15 inch Tires were you using?

What are your thoughts on building a chassis using C6 Technology (Transmission in the front) instead of the C4, since the configuration of the C4 isn't correct either? It would seem to me using the C6 Tech under the car would make it more comfortable, and add to the handling of the "Old Car". (Maybe enough to offset some of the drawbacks of the 15 inch tire?)

Are there any visual tricks one could use to make a 17 inch Wheel look like a 15 inch, that you know of? For instance Coloring a Trim Ring with that of the Tire color so at lest when the tire is rolling, it still looks like you are using a 15 inch tire without loosing the handling pro's of the 17 inch tire.

Anyway the vert is a fine ride.

Thanks,

Ty
Old 11-12-2010, 02:43 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

=================================
What Chassis/Suspension did you have under your two GS's?
Who made, and which 15 inch Tires were you using?

What are your thoughts on building a chassis using C6 Technology (Transmission in the front) instead of the C4, since the configuration of the C4 isn't correct either? It would seem to me using the C6 Tech under the car would make it more comfortable, and add to the handling of the "Old Car". (Maybe enough to offset some of the drawbacks of the 15 inch tire?)

Are there any visual tricks one could use to make a 17 inch Wheel look like a 15 inch, that you know of? For instance Coloring a Trim Ring with that of the Tire color so at lest when the tire is rolling, it still looks like you are using a 15 inch tire without loosing the handling pro's of the 17 inch tire.

Anyway the vert is a fine ride.

Thanks,

Ty
Going with C6 suspension would give you the best handling package for sure. Street shop sells a really nice frame with both C6 front end and the C6 rear suspension.

IMHO you don't loose much of the original Grand Sport feel if you go with larger diameter wheels if you stick with a nostalgic look. I'm using a replica of the original wheel in 17" size and big *** white lettered good year tires... We'll see how it will look..

Old 11-12-2010, 05:18 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Going with C6 suspension would give you the best handling package for sure. Street shop sells a really nice frame with both C6 front end and the C6 rear suspension.

IMHO you don't loose much of the original Grand Sport feel if you go with larger diameter wheels if you stick with a nostalgic look. I'm using a replica of the original wheel in 17" size and big *** white lettered good year tires... We'll see how it will look..

==================================
Are those PS Engineering Wheels? What Size 17's have you found that would be best suited for the GS?

Do you know someplace that would show someone what tire sizes are made for a 17 inch or 15 inch wheel? I find myself just pecking at a combination one by one to see if they exist.

BTW: Thanks for the information.

Ty
Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

For those concerned about wheel size and tire performance: You can always have two sets of wheels and tires. One authentic looking 15" set for shows and crusing, and a second set with bigger wheels and higher performance tires for track days. With two sets, you can run racing tires at the track and street tires on the road.

Ty - Try tirerack.com to see what tires are available. They have a tool that lets you search by size.

Last edited by kellsdad; 11-12-2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Second thought
Old 11-12-2010, 09:07 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by kellsdad
For those concerned about wheel size and tire performance: You can always have two sets of wheels and tires. One authentic looking 15" set for shows and crusing, and a second set with bigger wheels and higher performance tires for track days. With two sets, you can run racing tires at the track and street tires on the road.
Once you accept the idea of having a different set of tires for track days, then options open up in the 15" tire size.

Both Goodyear and Hoosier make bias ply racing tires in a whole host of 15" sizes. I've raced on the Hoosiers and find them to be very sticky and very forgiving. You get lots of warning before they totally break away.

If you try to do the 15"/17" thing..... keep in mind that your brakes must be designed to fit within the limitations of the 15" wheel. It can be done (I've done it... see posting #29) but it takes thought and planning.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Superformance 1963 Corvette Grand Sport

Old 11-12-2010, 01:14 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

==================================
Are those PS Engineering Wheels? What Size 17's have you found that would be best suited for the GS?

Do you know someplace that would show someone what tire sizes are made for a 17 inch or 15 inch wheel? I find myself just pecking at a combination one by one to see if they exist.

BTW: Thanks for the information.

Ty
Yes, those are PSE wheels. I'm going with 11" wheels at the back and 9" front. I'm using bit altered stock frame (due to our regulations over here). Here I test fitted 335 rears:

Old 11-12-2010, 01:16 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Seems like we have a bunch of active guys interested in the GS stuff, maybe we should have a sub forum for the Grand Sports...
Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Seems like we have a bunch of active guys interested in the GS stuff, maybe we should have a sub forum for the Grand Sports...
I'm for anything where I can learn and hopefully help submit some helpful tips for someone else.

Ty

Quick Reply: Superformance 1963 Corvette Grand Sport