C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Superformance 1963 Corvette Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kellsdad
For those concerned about wheel size and tire performance: You can always have two sets of wheels and tires. One authentic looking 15" set for shows and crusing, and a second set with bigger wheels and higher performance tires for track days. With two sets, you can run racing tires at the track and street tires on the road.

Ty - Try tirerack.com to see what tires are available. They have a tool that lets you search by size.
Thanks a million. I went to that sight and just didn't see the right search feature.

TY
Old 11-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

If I were going with the grand sport spoke design, it would have to be with a 15" wheel. The spokes are just too in-your-face-big on the 17" PS wheels.
The wheels on the Superformance car were American Racing GT40 style.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 PM
n1kon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groovyjay
Going with C6 suspension would give you the best handling package for sure. Street shop sells a really nice frame with both C6 front end and the C6 rear suspension.

IMHO you don't loose much of the original Grand Sport feel if you go with larger diameter wheels if you stick with a nostalgic look. I'm using a replica of the original wheel in 17" size and big *** white lettered good year tires... We'll see how it will look..

Those wheels look great!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,887 Likes on 794 Posts

A couple of years ago I was hot to trot for a Superformance Daytona Coupe. Stopped at their dealer in Atlanta and looked it over and took one for a test drive. It scared the bejesus out of me! It had a monster motor from Rousch in it. The build quality was quite good. Looked pretty much like a production car with only a very few hints that it was a "special" build (dont say kit car!). I didnt spring for one for two reasons...the first, it was just too damn small for me (I am 6'4") and I was cramped as hell. Second.....the cost would have been significantly more than a well equipped C6....and then you had to install the engine and trans on top of that. I will keep an eye out for the Grand Sport.....would like to try one on for size. Those that I have climbed into at Carlisle didnt impress me at all....felt VERY much like a kit car, not well finished, etc. Superformance is about as good as it gets for such a unique and limited build. Hope it works out well for them.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:29 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by n1kon
Those wheels look great!
Do you have any pictures of your wheels with the tires mounted on them?

What size tires did you put on these wheels?

Thanks,

Ty
Old 12-01-2010, 02:09 PM
n1kon
Instructor

Originally Posted by tyoneal
Do you have any pictures of your wheels with the tires mounted on them?

What size tires did you put on these wheels?

Thanks,

Ty
Those aren't my wheels, those are the one's groovyjay is using so you may want to ask him those questions.

Wild guess though is a 17x9 in front with a 275/40-17 tire and a 17x11 in rear with a 335/35-17 tire. Just a hunch though
Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by n1kon
Those aren't my wheels, those are the one's groovyjay is using so you may want to ask him those questions.

Wild guess though is a 17x9 in front with a 275/40-17 tire and a 17x11 in rear with a 335/35-17 tire. Just a hunch though
================================
Good point.

Thanks,

Ty
Old 12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by groovyjay
Car was mainly there to show case GM's new E-Rod LSX engine, in this case the LSA version and I'm sure the guys at superperformance would be happy to build a more authentic car too.

IMO it would be a waste of money to use later model suspension, brakes and steering and then loose the gained performance by using 15" rubber...

It was really nice car in person, there's always things I would've done differently. I have the same engine (with cats too) going into my GS roadster...
==============================
groovyjay:

I like those PS Engineering Wheels.

What size wheels and Tires did you use on your car?

I don't remember, was yours a Mid-America Product? If so, how did your tire, wheel combinations fit.

How Tall of Tires did you use on your car. What brands of tire have you found to give you the best look, performance and price.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal

Anyone else who has some suggestions, please clue me in.

Ty O'Neal
Old 07-05-2013, 11:21 AM
husky vette
3rd Gear

Default 1963 Grand Sport

Dose any body Know what a 1963 Grand Sport D & D body is worth?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:15 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Really? Re-opening a three year old thread. Why not just make a new post, asking your question? Chances are that you will never get an answer, as a mod will probably lock the thread down, since this is a violation of the rules.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 07-05-2013, 01:50 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Originally Posted by husky vette
Dose any body Know what a 1963 Grand Sport D & D body is worth?
Are you asking about just a bare body, no frame, no engine, nothing else?

My take is that, if you can find one, you are looking at a few thousand dollars, at most. The actual worth will depend on whether all the typical fitment issues have been addressed.

There were two distinct sets of molds which D&D used. The early set was notorious for producing ill-fitting body panels. The later set produced better panels but I'm not sure all the fit problems were ever fixed. Pay a bonus for a body which has had enough TLC for doors, trunk, and hood to fit properly.

Jim
Old 07-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts

....and the body must be bolted to the chassis before the final bodywork can be done....
Old 07-05-2013, 06:28 PM
husky vette
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Really? Re-opening a three year old thread. Why not just make a new post, asking your question? Chances are that you will never get an answer, as a mod will probably lock the thread down, since this is a violation of the rules.

Regards, John McGraw
Really John I just joined to ask a simple question . Thanks Jim for the answer
Old 07-05-2013, 07:50 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by husky vette
Really John I just joined to ask a simple question . Thanks Jim for the answer
No problem for me, but the mods will usually lock down the thread, whenever an old thread like this is revived, which means that the poster will usually not receive an answer. All the mods must be out of town this weekend!

Regards, John McGraw

Quick Reply: Superformance 1963 Corvette Grand Sport