C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Shipping Report Dick Fencl Oak Park, IL.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:33 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Shipping Report Dick Fencl Oak Park, IL.

I received my NCRS shipping report from Dick Fencl Chevrolet in Oak Park, IL on 7-30-65. Does anyone have history, a former employee contact or memorabilia form this dealer? Thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 11:41 AM
68AIR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My corvette was purchased new there as well in 1973. The dealership is still open under the name of Sunrise Chevrolet.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:42 PM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 68AIR
My corvette was purchased new there as well in 1973. The dealership is still open under the name of Sunrise Chevrolet.
Fencl Chevrolet is long closed. Fencl-Tufo Chevrolet became Sunrise Chevrolet.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-illinois.html

Old 02-12-2011, 05:15 PM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
I received my NCRS shipping report from Dick Fencl Chevrolet in Oak Park, IL on 7-30-65.
Wow -- you must have one of the last 50 or so cars produced in the 1965 model year
Old 02-13-2011, 08:12 AM
ucc2ic65
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to check the NCRS forum section on dealership searches to see if there is more information that would be helpful.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:38 PM
John 66 Vette
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Our 66 roadster also came from there. 04/15/66
Old 12-13-2013, 02:42 AM
rayfencl
Cruising

I received my NCRS shipping report from Dick Fencl Chevrolet in Oak Park, IL on 7-30-65. Does anyone have history, a former employee contact or memorabilia form this dealer? Thanks
Dick Fencl Chevrolet in Oak Park, Il was started by Dick Fencl in the late 40's. At the end of 1954 Chevrolet had 115 Corvettes that no dealers had spoken for. Dick Fencl cut a deal with the Zone Manager that he would take them all if the Chicago Zone Manager would allocate 80% of the Zone's Corvettes to him. While that Zone Manager was still in Chicago, Dick Fencl Chevrolet got 80% of all of the Vettes and became the #1 Corvette Dealer in the Midwest. In the mid 50's Fencl brought in a partner named Pierce because he had been offered the CEO spot at Greyhound Rent A Car. He returned and tossed Pierce out and became partners with R.A.L.Bogan, who was the VP of Greyhound. He then bought Bogan out and the dealership was named Dick Fencl Chevrolet. During the 60's Al Piemonte was his Sales Manager who left to become the owner of Ford store in Libertyville. He took Fencl's CFO, Maury Ettleson, with him as a partner. Then Piemonte and Ettleson bought the point in Melrose Park and opened Al Piemonte Ford. Then Ettleson took Piemonte's Sales Manager, Nick Celozzi, with him as a partner and opened Celozzi-Ettleson Chevrolet in Elmhurst. Dick Fencl was a silent partner in Celozzi-Ettleson as he built the dealership and rented it to C&E. Also in the 60's, Dick Fencl built Fencl-Tufo Chevrolet in Glendale Heights and partnered his brother, Ray Fencl with Johny Tufo who was Fencl's Used Car Manager in Oak Park. Dick Fencl Chevrolet closed in 1969 when Chevrolet closed his point in Oak Park. I am Dick's son and worked at the Oak Park dealership until it closed. Also, JTRanger, my daughter lives in Anaheim and I lived in San Diego for 20 years.

Last edited by rayfencl; 12-13-2013 at 02:50 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-13-2013, 02:44 AM
rayfencl
Cruising

Originally Posted by 68AIR
Your Corvette was purchased at Fencl-Tufo Chevrolet as Dick Fencl Chevrolet closed in 1969.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:50 AM
marcweinbrenner
Intermediate

Ray..... my 1958 Corvette was purchased at the Fencl- Pierce Chevrolet dealership in January of 1958. The story along with it, was that it was at the Chicago Auto show and seen and purchased by a couple from Western Springs, IL. Could this have been possible to your knowledge. Do you have, or know where to acquire any memoribila from this dealership?
Thanks, Marc
Old 12-13-2013, 02:03 PM
rayfencl
Cruising

Originally Posted by marcweinbrenner
Ray..... my 1958 Corvette was purchased at the Fencl- Pierce Chevrolet dealership in January of 1958. The story along with it, was that it was at the Chicago Auto show and seen and purchased by a couple from Western Springs, IL. Could this have been possible to your knowledge. Do you have, or know where to acquire any memoribila from this dealership?
Thanks, Marc
Marc - That is entirely possible because we supplied most of the Vettes for the Chicago Auto Show. I am sorry to tell you that I have no information on any memorabilia either. We tossed everything when we closed the dealership. Boy, was that stupid of me!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:05 AM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Ray, Thanks for joining the forum and sharing your great story on the history of fencyl and his partners back in those days. Even though I now live in Anaheim, I grew up and was raised in the Chicago suburbs and remember all the Fencyl, Tufo, Celozzi, Ettetlson and Al Piemonte commercials!

Do you have a Vette and are you still in Chicago?

Larry
Old 12-14-2013, 12:03 PM
rayfencl
Cruising

Ray, Thanks for joining the forum and sharing your great story on the history of fencyl and his partners back in those days. Even though I now live in Anaheim, I grew up and was raised in the Chicago suburbs and remember all the Fencyl, Tufo, Celozzi, Ettetlson and Al Piemonte commercials!

Do you have a Vette and are you still in Chicago?

Larry
Unfortunately, I don't have any Vettes anymore. I restored a '54 Vette in 1967. We still had OEM parts for it in our parts department and our trim guy still had the original rather orangish red for the seats. I sold it for $3,500 and thought I was making money. Yikes. I am living in Northern Michigan (there was a woman involved in my moving here). I did have a '62 Corvette and a '68 L88 Corvette.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:21 PM
fozbrick69
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My '65 327/300 Coupe came from Fencl as well ! ! !
Old 12-14-2013, 08:33 PM
marcweinbrenner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rayfencl
Marc - That is entirely possible because we supplied most of the Vettes for the Chicago Auto Show. I am sorry to tell you that I have no information on any memorabilia either. We tossed everything when we closed the dealership. Boy, was that stupid of me!
Ray...... thank you for answering so quickly, and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:54 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I just learned today that my 61 was purchased at Fencl Chevrolet in the winter of 1960. Even better than that, Dick's son was a friend of my father. Ray, is that you? My Father was Fred Kokaska. Are you in San Diego now?

Last edited by SDVette; 01-17-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:55 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SDVette
I just learned today that my 61 was purchased at Fencl Chevrolet in the winter of 1960. Even better than that, Dick's son was a friend of my father. Ray, is that you? My Father was Fred Kokaska. Are you in San Diego now?
Fred,

How did you find out your '61 was purchased at Fencyl? I have a '61 also and would love to know where it came from. My '65 was purchased at Fencyl.
The following users liked this post:
vmaxpwc (06-27-2017)
Old 01-17-2015, 01:05 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I sent a note to my Uncle George (my father's younger brother). Here is his response:

Hi Fred, I most certainly do remember buying that car. You have to remember right after Grandpa Stieber bought that car, your father left for the Air Force, and he trusted me to take care of it for a couple of years. No better way to care for it everyday than to drive it to high school everyday during my senior year. Needless to say, had the best girls in school to take out all the time. It was purchased at Dick Fencl Chev in Oak Park, Il. Dick's son was a friend of your father's. Good Luck.

So it was word of mouth... nothing repeatable!

My hope was to find (or re-create) the window sticker. I am still sorting through reams of paperwork my dad had stored away. He was the type that saved everything.. so I expected to find it... but no luck so far.

It seems that NCRS is no help for pre-62 cars, is that correct?

Get notified of new replies

To Shipping Report Dick Fencl Oak Park, IL.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:33 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

I sent a note to my Uncle George (my father's younger brother). Here is his response:

Hi Fred, I most certainly do remember buying that car. You have to remember right after Grandpa Stieber bought that car, your father left for the Air Force, and he trusted me to take care of it for a couple of years. No better way to care for it everyday than to drive it to high school everyday during my senior year. Needless to say, had the best girls in school to take out all the time. It was purchased at Dick Fencl Chev in Oak Park, Il. Dick's son was a friend of your father's. Good Luck.

So it was word of mouth... nothing repeatable!

My hope was to find (or re-create) the window sticker. I am still sorting through reams of paperwork my dad had stored away. He was the type that saved everything.. so I expected to find it... but no luck so far.

It seems that NCRS is no help for pre-62 cars, is that correct?
Yes Fred you are correct. No shipping reports on '62 and prior. I do believe they had a few for some '62's but nothing prior. Too bad!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:13 PM
rayfencl
Cruising

Default Good to hear from you!

Sure is me. Good to hear from you. I'm in Northern Michigan now. I'm trying to figure out why I left San Diego for Northern MI. Well, there was a woman involved.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:15 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Wow! What a small world! It's nice to meet you Ray.

I'll PM you my personal email - I would love to hear some old stories!

Fred Sr.'s 61 was stored in a hanger (at Montgomery field in San Diego) for 30 years. When he passed in 2011.... well, here is a link to my original thread from back then:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-barn-car.html

My son and I have been restoring it over the past 3 years... and it's doing very well!

Here is the car at Plastic Fantastic (at Seaport Village) last summer:

Fred

Last edited by SDVette; 01-17-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Shipping Report Dick Fencl Oak Park, IL.