C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 - Fouled spark plugs - running rough - see pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:08 PM
EVERGREEN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
JT..thanks for the tip...I'll see if I can look inside.

As far as the Protronix...I don't think that is the problem. I have a timing light and its solid 4 degrees on the timing tab...it doesn't bounce around. I also have an oscilloscope (not engine scope, but actual oscilloscope) and the timing marks look all the same height. Lastly...it ran great with the pertronix and it rev's right up when it starts to clear up.
Not trying to add to your problems and I know you must be very busy but could you post a picture of how your scope is hooked up to read the ignition pulses?

No video please as I'm very cheap and the $14.95 dial up system is very slooooooooow.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 11-21-2010, 08:45 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Mike...I rebuilt the carb. Its working great. I made sure all the orfices were clean. I blew carb cleaner in all the holes and made sure they were cleaned out.

The main problem is the car runs like crap when I first turn it on...doesn't idle....and makes this sound like something is ratteling inside the engine. It also smokes and misses like crazy.

However, when its all warmed up and has been running...it sounds fantastic.
Here is a video I just took of the engine warm. As you can see the engine runs great! Rev's up...and no noise! Sounds like a completely different motor.

View My Video

Quick Reply: 58 - Fouled spark plugs - running rough - see pics