C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

STAR CHEVROLET in East Orange, NJ [THREADS MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default STAR CHEVROLET in East Orange, NJ [THREADS MERGED]

After seeing the post on Dick Fencl Chevrolet Oak Park IL, it got me to thinking I should post about my 1963 Z06!

Car was originally bought at STAR CHEVROLET in East Orange, NJ by a Swiss citizen who was in the USA attending medical school at Georgetown in Washington, DC.

Looking for any and all information on STAR CHEVROLET - you can see the dealership emblem on the car!

Last edited by mdz06vetter; 11-06-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: add texyt
Old 11-07-2007, 03:03 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Ed,

thanks for the info
Old 11-07-2007, 03:36 PM
66rag427
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed T
Star Chevrolet was on Main St in the heart of town, right across the street from the fire house. It is long gone, they folded in the late 70's due to urban blight. The building was abandoned and a Chevy dealer under a different name opened up about a mile away at the Newark border.

Star added an annex onto their main showroom in the late 50's/ real early 60's and it was called Corvette City. Pretty sure the year for that was 1961 and that room was set up for Corvettes til about 1971. They would display maybe 1/2 dozen new Corvettes and they would sometimes have a few used ones outside. In those days the main Corvette salesman for Star was named Cash Barron.

That's really interesting. I have some paperwork that that looks like my 66 390 horse came from Star Chevrolet in East Orange NJ
Old 11-07-2007, 09:50 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Funny that I came from E Orange...born there in 1949

Can't recall Star Chevy though
Old 11-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem350
Funny that I came from E Orange...born there in 1949

Can't recall Star Chevy though
I was born in 1947 and can't recall a lot of things.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:42 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

My 68 L88 was purchased at Star!! I lived in Kearny about 8 miles away.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:35 PM
john64
1st Gear

Default Star Chevrolet, East Orange, NJ

I have a 64 coupe that came from Star Chevrolet, delivered in March 1964. The address is show as 473 Main Street, East Orange, NJ.This info came from the warranty book that was with the car when I bought it in 1971 here in North Carolina. It was originally bought from Star by a guy with an NC address and I am trying to find info regarding ownership history from him in 64 to me in 71, but having problems. Any idea about how to get title search info prior to 1980 when VIN's were standardized to 17 digits?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Default Anybody know something aboutSTAR CHEVROLET in East Orange, NJ?

Title sez it all - got my documentation from NCRS and am seeking any and all information anyone may have on STAR CHEVROLET. Do know the owner/presidents last name was SPITZER; vice presidents last name was GOLDNER. Also know the dealership no longer exists - believe ti burned down????

so, if anyone remembers the dealership; has any pictures; ads, etc. would like to talk about the possibility of getting a copy, etc.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 AM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

thank you sir! - have the Star emblem on my 1963 Z06
Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 PM
helenge
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Star Chevrolet info

My name is Helen and my father was Marvin Goldner, VP of Star Chevrolet. He and Sid Spitzer bought the dealership in the early 1960's. It was previously a Chevy dealership as well. They named it "Star" because the previous name had 4 characters. I think it was Luby. Anyway they wanted to keep the sign so they needed a name with 4 letters.

There was a toy store on the property adjacent to the dealerhip which is what burnt down, not the dealership itself. After that, Star bought that property and expanded their lot. They also built a second level over the lot to store more cars.

The "Corvette City" showroom was always there during the time it was Star Chevrolet. The Corvette salesman was Skip Sofield, a race car driver. His son has also posted in this group.

Someone mentioned that the cigarette lighters were removed from all of the Vette's because of theft. That was true, but in addition, the round black ***** that were on the door levers and the shift ***** were only installed upon delivery.

Some of the sales people that I remember were: Sam Scotese, Bill Uhrig and Mal Levinson. The sales manager was Sid Reitman who was later replaced by Chris Robertozzi who's daughter I am still in touch with. The truck manager was Hy Checofsky. The parts manager was Stanly Swider and the Service Manager was Charlie Klebosis.

There was also a body shop on site and a gas pump which came in very handy during the gas shortage.

My father sold his share's to Sid Spitzer's brother in 1977. The Spitzers operated it for just a couple of years and then sold it to Ed Cordasco. It then closed (never burnt down or moved) and Chevrolet closed the point as Hoffman Chevrolet was just a few miles away in Bloomfield and Village Chevrolet was in South Orange. There was no Chevrolet dealership located on the Orange/Newark border. However, the Oldsmobile franchise did move to the Orange/Newark border on Central Avenue. I believe it was Allison Oldsmobile.

I have a picture of the dealership that was imprinted on the back of their envelopes but I'm not sure how to upload it. I too have a Star Chevrolet nameplate sitting on the bookshelf of my family room as well as a Chevrolet USA 1 license plate which came out just before the bicentennial plates in 1976.
The following 3 users liked this post by helenge:
327carguy (09-19-2021), Brian VH McHale (09-18-2021), Kris_K (09-20-2021)
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 AM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Helen,

Thank you for your response!
Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 PM
davematlock
Heel & Toe

Default Star Chevrolet info wanted

Originally Posted by 66rag427
That's really interesting. I have some paperwork that that looks like my 66 390 horse came from Star Chevrolet in East Orange NJ
Hi I am looking for the Star Chevrolet 6 DIGIT dealer ( ident number ).I have the dealer number (301) and zone number (35),but don't have a complete 6 digit ident number that appears on the window sticker upper right cornor ,or from a tank sticker .I have a 63 coupe .Thanx for any help Dave

Last edited by davematlock; 06-27-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: resolved
Old 07-15-2018, 07:53 PM
frankturbo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Star was big back in the day but I think the biggest vette dealer ( maybe in the country ) was Malcom Konner on Rt.17 , I bought my 69 new there , still see the salesman every week , he lives in town !
Old 07-15-2018, 07:58 PM
davematlock
Heel & Toe

Default Star chevrolet info

Originally Posted by helenge
my name is helen and my father was marvin goldner, vp of star chevrolet. He and sid spitzer bought the dealership in the early 1960's. It was previously a chevy dealership as well. They named it "star" because the previous name had 4 characters. I think it was luby. Anyway they wanted to keep the sign so they needed a name with 4 letters.

There was a toy store on the property adjacent to the dealerhip which is what burnt down, not the dealership itself. After that, star bought that property and expanded their lot. They also built a second level over the lot to store more cars.

The "corvette city" showroom was always there during the time it was star chevrolet. The corvette salesman was skip sofield, a race car driver. His son has also posted in this group.

Someone mentioned that the cigarette lighters were removed from all of the vette's because of theft. That was true, but in addition, the round black ***** that were on the door levers and the shift ***** were only installed upon delivery.

Some of the sales people that i remember were: Sam scotese, bill uhrig and mal levinson. The sales manager was sid reitman who was later replaced by chris robertozzi who's daughter i am still in touch with. The truck manager was hy checofsky. The parts manager was stanly swider and the service manager was charlie klebosis.

There was also a body shop on site and a gas pump which came in very handy during the gas shortage.

My father sold his share's to sid spitzer's brother in 1977. The spitzers operated it for just a couple of years and then sold it to ed cordasco. It then closed (never burnt down or moved) and chevrolet closed the point as hoffman chevrolet was just a few miles away in bloomfield and village chevrolet was in south orange. There was no chevrolet dealership located on the orange/newark border. However, the oldsmobile franchise did move to the orange/newark border on central avenue. I believe it was allison oldsmobile.

I have a picture of the dealership that was imprinted on the back of their envelopes but i'm not sure how to upload it. I too have a star chevrolet nameplate sitting on the bookshelf of my family room as well as a chevrolet usa 1 license plate which came out just before the bicentennial plates in 1976.
hi helen, i am a new member seeking information for my 63 corvette coupe.i am looking for a ( 6 digit dealer ident number ) .the number would appear on a tank sticker or the upper right hand cornor of the window sticker. I have the dealer number ( 301 )and the zone number (35 ) but not a complete 6 digit ident number.thanx for any help you might be able to offer.dave
Old 07-15-2018, 10:12 PM
helenge
Cruising

You might want to go to a Chevy dealership and ask them to call their rep and see if they have that info. I'm sorry. I don't have any window stickers.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:16 PM
helenge
Cruising

I did a quick Google search and it does look like Star was zone 35 dlr # 301.
http://www.ncrs.org/services/dealer-code-data.php
Old 07-16-2018, 10:41 AM
Dave Strickland
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by davematlock
hi helen, i am a new member seeking information for my 63 corvette coupe.i am looking for a ( 6 digit dealer ident number ) .the number would appear on a tank sticker or the upper right hand cornor of the window sticker. I have the dealer number ( 301 )and the zone number (35 ) but not a complete 6 digit ident number.thanx for any help you might be able to offer.dave
The Ident number is unique to the car and has nothing to do with the dealership.

Get notified of new replies

To STAR CHEVROLET in East Orange, NJ [THREADS MERGED]

Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 AM
davematlock
Heel & Toe

Hi Helen , very nice of you to follow up.I have the 1963 big tank Z06 coupe driven by Skip.I have pictures of him in racing suit holding race helmet,pictures of car on track as well as one of the light weight grand sport cars on the track.I am trying to fill in some document gaps but I do have a lot of history.Thankyou for taking time to reply,very much appreciated .Thankyou Dave
Old 07-16-2018, 11:01 AM
helenge
Cruising

His son (also Skip Sofield) just passed away. Otherwise I would have asked you to scan him over a copy. I do have a newspaper ad that you might like a see copy of. Give me your email address.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:19 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

A quick search brought up this old magazine ad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Chevy-...LH_TitleDesc=0

John

Quick Reply: STAR CHEVROLET in East Orange, NJ [THREADS MERGED]