C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Composite Mono Spring Ride Optimization

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:59 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Composite Mono Spring Ride Optimization

Old topic....looking for any new solutions:

Has anyone found the right shock solution for VBP mono-spring set up?

I've got the VBP performance plus system with Koni adjustable on front and Delco on back. I've got the hard back end ride and bouncy front. My shocks are 15 years old. Ride height is set correctly.

If I run over any hard bumps, it feels like I have no shocks.

If I'm driving down a concrete road, my front end bounces continually. The ride is great if I'm on a smooth road.

Is there a different shock set-up I should try?

Is this a hopeless issue?

What benefit would I get by going to coil-over shocks? Is it a straight swap, or do I need different A-arms.

Suggestions?
Old 11-13-2010, 02:27 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

ttt
Old 11-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe you will have to change your trailing arms and install upper mounts to get coil-overs. Van Steel has a kit. QA-1 offers double adjustable shocks so you could make your own ride adjustments. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:22 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would love to get rid of that extra 40 lbs of weight, and replace my stock spring with a composite......but I haven't heard enough good reviews on the composite, to pull the trigger on one. It seems like many members are unhappy with them, and end up going back to stock. Even the one's that say their happy, admit that they have somewhat of a bouncy ride.......something I know I wouldn't like. I wouldn't think you would have a hard ride with the Delco's. What is your rear spring rated at?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:42 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

My rear spring rate is 315#.

My thought was to switch shocks and see if I can get an improved ride. I'm just worried that it's a complete waste of money. My back end is extremely stiff. If I put my weight on it to push it up and down, there is very little movement. Same for the front.

How much of that is shock related vs the springs......I have no clue.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:00 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

i have a TRW composit spring with a 300# rate in my 65 L-79 coupe.
It is a much improved ride with little or no bounce. I use Bilstien HD shocks.
The problem is a lot of guys get too high of a spring rate. Also, you need to use a composit and not a glass spring. From what I have read the problems seem to be with the glass springs.
As for the front bounce. I would invest in a new set of springs. They are less then $100 and really not that hard to install.
jmo
Larry
Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
I would love to get rid of that extra 40 lbs of weight, and replace my stock spring with a composite......but I haven't heard enough good reviews on the composite, to pull the trigger on one. It seems like many members are unhappy with them, and end up going back to stock. Even the one's that say their happy, admit that they have somewhat of a bouncy ride.......something I know I wouldn't like. I wouldn't think you would have a hard ride with the Delco's. What is your rear spring rated at?
I guess I'm the happy exception. I have had two cars that I changed from stock to composite springs. A 78 and my 63. On the 78 I ran a #300 with replacement factory style GM gas charged shocks. A bit bouncy as either the shocks were not sufficient or I should have gone with a heavier rated spring.

On the 63 I run a #330 and I have SPAX adjustable shocks on all four corners. I have the shocks adjusted so that I don't have bounce at all and the car rides and handles great. Perhaps since I run #460 front springs the car doesn't start with the amount of movement in the front end that might magnify the rear end movement.

As far as bounce goes I have followed and observed cars with both factory rear springs and composite rear springs. I watch both of them go over same bump in the road and I watch the action/reaction of the cars. While the person driving the car with the factory spring says "look at how much that car bounces over that bump" I see that the car with the composite spring reacts with the same or less amount of body movement than the car with the factory spring.

You have to remember. The job of the shock absorber is to dampen the movement of the suspension. The shocks don't support the car.

Rich
Old 11-14-2010, 09:10 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Vogie
QA-1 offers double adjustable shocks so you could make your own ride adjustments. Good luck with your search.
There is a set of front QA1s for sale in the C3 Parts section.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-p...-1-shocks.html
It would take some trail and error to "dail" them in to your liking though.

Originally Posted by CWerner
How much of that is shock related vs the springs......I have no clue.
You can unbolt the bottom of the shocks and get an idea.

Ride quality is subjective and what may be horrible for you could be "normal" for some one else (not trying to be a smart a$$). I would hold off on the coil-overs and try to work with what you have. The mono set up has some adjustment and the "right" shock for you would probably solve your problem. Have you contacted VB&P about your concern? I have found them very helpfull and willing to satisfy their customer's needs and concerns. You can also have VB&P make you a spring to your specs for about $250.00 (with the current sale maybe around $200.00). That would be a lot cheaper than coil-overs. Don't give up on what you have. You can get it to where you are happy with it.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:18 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

So I just bought the (above used) QA1 dual adjustable shocks for the front. We'll see how they work out.

What is the best option on the back? Should I stop chasing shocks and just replace with either the TRW or Hypercoil spring? Opinions?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:21 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

So I just bought the (above used) QA1 dual adjustable shocks for the front. We'll see how they work out.

What is the best option on the back? Should I stop chasing shocks and just replace with either the TRW or Hypercoil spring? Opinions?
Wait till you get the front "dailed in". Remember ther are LOTS of adjustments so it will take some trail and error to get it to your liking. Then see where you are with the rear. Put the spring rate on the softest setting and see how you like it. If too stiff and you don't feel it's shock related (you can always buy QA1 single adjustable for the rear - they are much less money than the doubles) call VB&P and talk to them about what spring rate they would suggest for the rear. Remember they can custom make you a spring at any rate you need. I would think they would be better able to get something to your liking then going with another company. Take your time and you WILL get the ride to where you want it to be without spending money needlessly.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:33 AM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
As mentioned a few times in other threads, most people unhappy with the composite string ride do NOT use the TRW design spring. At least that's been my "memory" after reading many of these threads.

larry
Old 11-16-2010, 11:10 AM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redred65cpe
As mentioned a few times in other threads, most people unhappy with the composite string ride do NOT use the TRW design spring. At least that's been my "memory" after reading many of these threads.

larry
I was just thinking the same thing. I do have memory of some users being pretty happy with the TRW spring. If I was going to purchase one, I think I would go with the TRW.....even though the shape of it looks a little funky to me.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:18 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

That's why I'm asking the question. I can go spend 300 on rear shocks, and still have an issue. I can also go spend the same money on the TRW spring????

As I stated in the original post, I've got Delco on the rear. They probably aren't the best shock to start with anyway. So an investment in the right kind of shock isn't a waste of money.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:13 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

You have VB&P Performance Plus suspension which is adjustable for both ride height and spring rate. If you feel the rear spring rate is too high on the softest setting why not get them involved to build you a custom spring? It will most likely cost you less money in the long run. When I spoke with them at Carlisle I was quoted a price of about $200.00 plus shipping with the current sale pricing going on. Yes you are right the rear shocks are not the best so in the end you may end up replacing both the spring and the shocks. I think you should work with the QA1s to see how you like them before you decide on what to do next. You may feel the improvement is substancial enough that it is worth buying them for the rear and then you're done.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
I guess I'm the happy exception. I have had two cars that I changed from stock to composite springs. A 78 and my 63. On the 78 I ran a #300 with replacement factory style GM gas charged shocks. A bit bouncy as either the shocks were not sufficient or I should have gone with a heavier rated spring.

On the 63 I run a #330 and I have SPAX adjustable shocks on all four corners. I have the shocks adjusted so that I don't have bounce at all and the car rides and handles great. Perhaps since I run #460 front springs the car doesn't start with the amount of movement in the front end that might magnify the rear end movement.

As far as bounce goes I have followed and observed cars with both factory rear springs and composite rear springs. I watch both of them go over same bump in the road and I watch the action/reaction of the cars. While the person driving the car with the factory spring says "look at how much that car bounces over that bump" I see that the car with the composite spring reacts with the same or less amount of body movement than the car with the factory spring.

You have to remember. The job of the shock absorber is to dampen the movement of the suspension. The shocks don't support the car.

Rich
with you on the 330# spring and HD shocks on the car. No bounce and love the composite spring on the car...
Old 11-16-2010, 12:32 PM
yukonranger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 69 Corvette with the BP monoleaf springs, The car was for autocrossing and I owned 330, 360, 420 rate springs. I also tried their dual mount spring but didn't like it (never spent the time to figure out why, perhaps it has a rising rate(?)) All the monosprings an improvement over the heavy high friction steel springs. I also had two sets of Bilsteins a set of adjustable Konis and a couple other shocks. Naturally I had numerous sets of front springs and front and rear anti-sway bars to match these rear springs. At the time, my life revolved around autocrossing and road racing and I did a lot of testing. A couple of things to keep in mind:

Springs are springs. There will be no difference between monoleaf, coil or torsion bar types. However a multi leaf spring has friction between the leaves which dampens the spring.

In order to compensate for the reduced friction of a monoleaf, coil or torsion bar, a "stiffer" shock must be used to get the same ride as a multi leaf spring.

It is usually a mistake to mix and match shock (or tire) types and brands on the car.

The job of the shock absorber is to dampen the spring. If you are experiencing "bouncyness" it is your shocks not your springs,

A glass leaf spring is a composite spring. I don't know of anyone making a carbon spring for covettes. All the currently availible springs should perform about the same (for the same rate spring)

The best solution for my application (competitive autocross and open track events) was 550lb front springs paired with a 360lb rear monospring and Bilstein sport shocks. This is not surprisingly very close to the factory F40/41 specs (we are not *inventing* anything here!)

Ride and handling are always going to be compromises even with the most sophisticated modern systems (If this were not true then modern sports cars would not have cockpit adjustible shock settings...). Besides personal preference, the smoothness of your roads comes into play.

Your current set up of 460lb front and 330lb rear springs is a pretty good compromise between ride and handling. You probably would have been happy if you changed to Bilstein HD shocks. Since yoy have already bought front shocks just buy some matching rear shocks and start playing with the adjustments.

I assume that all your bushing and bearings are good(???).

Have fun.

Old topic....looking for any new solutions:

Has anyone found the right shock solution for VBP mono-spring set up?

I've got the VBP performance plus system with Koni adjustable on front and Delco on back. I've got the hard back end ride and bouncy front. My shocks are 15 years old. Ride height is set correctly.

If I run over any hard bumps, it feels like I have no shocks.

If I'm driving down a concrete road, my front end bounces continually. The ride is great if I'm on a smooth road.

Is there a different shock set-up I should try?

Is this a hopeless issue?

What benefit would I get by going to coil-over shocks? Is it a straight swap, or do I need different A-arms.

Suggestions?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:36 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I think I will go ahead and buy some QA1 rear shocks and then try to dial the entire car's ride in at one time. Then, if I need to go back to the spring and make changes, I can. At least I will have a great shock setup to work with.

Thanks for all the advise.

Get notified of new replies

To Composite Mono Spring Ride Optimization

Old 11-16-2010, 02:23 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Before i went out and spent 300 bucks for some designer shocks, I would buy a couple of Monroe Sensa Trac, or a set of Gabriel Guardian shocks. These are valved softer for passenger cars, and you can buy 2 for the rear for 40 bucks....not 300. If you put these on, and your rear is still too stiff, then you know the spring is the problem, and your only out 40 bucks. I had KYB on my car, and they were very stiff with a harsh ride. I changed them out to Delco Road Handlers, at the advise of a vette restoration shop, and IMHO, they are the perfect shock. By the way, I was told that Delco shocks are made by Gabriel, and they are the same shock as the top of the line Gabriel Ultra's.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:09 PM
wicklow
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I will go ahead and buy some QA1 rear shocks and then try to dial the entire car's ride in at one time. Then, if I need to go back to the spring and make changes, I can. At least I will have a great shock setup to work with.

Thanks for all the advise.
Hi there
My name is vincent and i live in ireland.. i recently bought a C2 1965 and the guy had the composite leaf springs fitted before i bought.. i don't like the hard ride and there is little or no movement when i press down on the rear.. did you ever have the problem of the wheels hitting the arches in your situation.. when i have a passenger in the car and am on a bumpy road i seem to have this problem.. I would love to know how you got on with your car.. my email address is vincent@eolas.ie
Old 12-02-2013, 04:48 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by wicklow
Hi there
My name is vincent and i live in ireland.. i recently bought a C2 1965 and the guy had the composite leaf springs fitted before i bought.. i don't like the hard ride and there is little or no movement when i press down on the rear.. did you ever have the problem of the wheels hitting the arches in your situation.. when i have a passenger in the car and am on a bumpy road i seem to have this problem.. I would love to know how you got on with your car.. my email address is vincent@eolas.ie
I use the VBP composite rear spring( 330#) in the rear of my road race car.An interesting thing I've found is that if you disconnect the shocks you can bounce the rear of the race car up and down with ease. These spring are not TOO harsh. It's the shocks. Good advice above to purchase some simple sedan shock and see what you get. Tuning double adjustable shocks is not for the novice. I'd go with whatever package your spring supplier has already worked out for your car. They have done the testing.

By the way thee is a hysteresis in the metal spring rear springs that drives a suspension tuner crazy when using the car at the limits. I finally figured it out in turn 14 at Road America. Composite got ride of that transition that upset the suspension. Good stuff.

Quick Reply: Composite Mono Spring Ride Optimization